Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on the Sprinter forum by a guy who owns a repair shop. I've never heard of any of them.

"Problems recorded to date.
Head problems:-
Valve seats falling out of #2 & #6 cylinder heads.
The factory is replacing heads under SOME date configs & circumstances.

Closed coupled Cat configs.
We are noting some heat degradation of heads caused Cat overheat since its close coupled to the heads & unitary manifold architecture.
Any metal failures up stream in the engine has an effect of damaging the Cat matrixes.
Beware!

Excessive oil consumption
Some instances some cylinder bore washing caused by misfires and ultimately Cat degradation.
Latest rings using a spring loaded super-slotted style IN STEEL instead of the three piece bore conformable EARLY STYLE seems to have promise.
There are better pistons available now with improved drain and graphite coated for better wear resistance.

Head Gaskets
Now multi layer Viton coated available in the aftermarket .

Oil cooler/Oil filter arr!
Big issue with the oil filter sleeve detaching itself on oil changes.
Either replace the whole thing with a new one or get a Dorman repair part--Its works.
Filter cooler assy is still fraught with oil leaks especially at the sensor fittings --Beware!

Rod bolt failure
Original bolts were wasted, new bolts were straight shanked
And
So you guys thought Sprinters are bad!"

Comments, experience?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess when you have as many problems as the Sprinter has you need to make up stuff to feel better. It's true there have been poor head castings causing failures but that was mostly before the ProMaster started production. The oil cooler can leak and the original design had a pressure relief problem but that was resolved before ProMaster production too. I have no idea (and he doesn't either obviously) what he's talking about with a "sleeve" detaching. There is nothing called a sleeve in the oil filter/cooler unit. I have never heard of anyone having excessive oil consumption, Cat failure, head gasket failure, rod failure or FCA changing the rings and pistons to solve oil control problems. Sounds like total BS to me. I have heard of rocker bearing failures causing the tick but that is a really easy fix. If he indeed owns a repair shop I wouldn't let him anywhere near my vehicles. His ignorance is obvious.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Oh God whatever else happens don’t let him post up about the diesel we have enough fiction here already!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The new US Sprinter will reportedly include a gasoline engine option, which should be a better side-by-side comparison in reliability, fuel economy, etc.... to PM and Transit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good friend had to replace engine(under warrantee) .....dealer service since day one...real asinine too....he had a 2015 hi roof gasser....( deer strike..total loss)......i have a 2014 dsl...just normal transmission problems( normal as in replaced tranny...now back at deal with tranny harness and tcm being replacer ) woo hoo...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It’s interesting that when diesel problems are mentioned we get sent to the Sprinter site as a bastion of honesty about how bad diesels are but when they talk about faulty Pentastar engines you think they are liars. Just say'n

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
As a 14 year long member of the Sprinter site I can assure you that there isnt much honesty over there RD. It’s pretty much a free for all BS forum where misinformation gets constantly posted.

Sometimes they even actually discuss Sprinters rather than politics, religion, sex, guns and rock & roll but don’t hold your breath ;)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Oh? Rock and Roll? Perhaps there is a reason to check it out....... NOT. I like it here and honestly I don’t have the time, interest, or political nastiness to bother. Here we actually share something in common, a van. It never gets nasty until someone bashes the diesel, LOL.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've learned a lot from SS and there are some good people there, but it really makes one appreciate our moderators here--KOV and Zwarte--keeping out the extraneous crap like religion and politics. I keep going there and to ClassB in part to put in a good word for our beloved PM when people bash it. I will also start some upfitting on my son's new Sprinter in a few weeks.

I think of the two vehicles as apples and oranges--both fruit but with quite different personnas.

In fairness, I must also report that the guy I quotes to start this thread finally admitted he was working with fleet vehicles that had been run into the ground by employees who didn't take care of them.

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Thank you MSN! Unfortunately most people don’t realize what’s really involved in keeping a "clean" site and no matter what you do there is always someone that is going to take offense at something.

I look at the Sprinter site as an example of what happens when "anything goes". There are many good posters there but also a lot of people who are only interested in pushing their own agendas, be it politic, religious or social and that takes away from everyone else, IMHO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've learned a lot from SS and there are some good people there, but it really makes one appreciate our moderators here--KOV and Zwarte--keeping out the extraneous crap like religion and politics. I keep going there and to ClassB in part to put in a good word for our beloved PM when people bash it. I will also start some upfitting on my son's new Sprinter in a few weeks.

I think of the two vehicles as apples and oranges--both fruit but with quite different personnas.

In fairness, I must also report that the guy I quotes to start this thread finally admitted he was working with fleet vehicles that had been run into the ground by employees who didn't take care of them.
Your right......I love my promaster for different reasons that i love my sprinter (05 low roof shorty dsl) ...we all are very involved in our vehicles for different reasons.....but im here to meet new ppl , learn from their mistakes , and enjoy reading the stories and advice.....keep it up im here for the longhaul

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts