Ram Promaster Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
. . . Does it tell you when the sensor batteries are low? . . .
LOLs -- I don't think so. I bought two, and on the first one (everyday SUV) I put in new batteries from the start. On the ProMaster, I was in a hurry and forgot about the batteries. With the weak batteries, some pressures would read 00 -- but some of the temperatures were correct. So I guess the "battery low" indicator is "funky readings".

I have had the first one installed in the everyday SUV since July (with the new batteries then) and it has been flawless -- so it at least seems to go 4 months on the Eveready batteries.

·
Registered
91 Posts
TPMS with no install:

I got one of these Favoto TPMS Car Tire Pressure Monitoring System Solar Power . .

The thing I like about it is that it shows all four tires all the time, has user adjustable high, and low limits, and an audible alarm that is loud enough to get your attention. No wires or batteries are needed in the display -- it has a self-adhesive solar panel that you just stick onto the inside of the front window.

There is also no "install" or pairing. Just take off the valve cap and put the correct sensor (with a fresh battery, see below) in its place:

They do vent a small amount of air when putting them on and off, so after setting the tire pressure, spin them on quickly.

You will also want to order some fresh, brand name, CR1632 batteries, from my experience and reviews the batteries shipped in the wheel sensors are cheap or dead. Changing the batteries is not a big deal. You snap off a little indexing washer, then use the included wrench to screw the sender out of the cap. Then slide the new battery in, screw the cap back on the sender, reinstall the indexing washer and you are good to go. I did not mess around with the locking nut . . . the senders are not worth anything without the display.

It is nicely visible in the day and night -- although my prescription polarized sunglasses make it black -- requiring a head tilt or peek over.

As you drive at speed the tire pressure will change. I set my pressures at 60 using the inflator gauge, and cool they show up at 58~59, going down the road they will get to 65.

The display also shows temperatures . . . but since the sensor is outside of the wheel and in fast-flowing air I do not rely on them for accurate tire temperature. Handy for getting the outside temperature in the morning without turning on the key ;-)
WARNING: Withdrawing Recommendation for Tire Pressure Monitor that I Recommended Earlier

I used similar monitor for about a year (see my post in the middle of this page GADGET REPORT) and it worked OK. The serious problem appeared when I needed to pump some air into a tire: I could not remove the sensor! The sensor is secured on the valve with what they call anti-theft threaded washer that you tighten counter clockwise against the sensor. When I tried to unscrew it with the given flimsy little wrench - it was not possible to do it. I made a better wrench and still could not unscrew. I tried then to use the grip wrench to gently unscrew the sensor trying not to destroy it but no success either. When I applied more force, the valve stem tip snapped and broke with the sensor still screwed to it.

The examination revealed that the sensor base was made of some kind of copper based alloy, which being in long contact with aluminum valve stem corroded and kind of welded to the valve stem. With this sad experience, I decided to remove other three sensors – they all would not get off. Not wanting to break all stems, I cut most of the sensor out with the angle grinder living a square copper piece to hold it with a wrench, soaked it in the WD40 and brake fluid, heated with a heat gun and successfully removed all three, however the outside thread on the aluminum stem was damaged.

Now I had to fix the broken stem, which happened to be even bigger ordeal. The Dodge dealer does not sell stems, only the stem with TPMS for $96. Local car repair shop offered putting new stem/TPMS piece plus programming it for $150. Both were insane prices for a dollar worth aluminum piece, so I started looking online. It seemed that it was possible in some cases to replace the stem only and use the original TPMS, but I could not find exact info that it can be done for Promaster. Therefore, I had to get the piece out of the tire to see what it is and what can be done. It was not easy, as I do not have special tools, but I managed to break the bid using the van jack that I put between the tire and the van’s hitch. I removed the stem/TPMS and found that those are two separate pieces and TPMS can be easily removed and put on the new stem.

I searched Ebay and found similar looking stem, supposedly matching PM (4x Tyre Pressure Sensor Valve Stem Replacement Kit For Jeep Volvo Ford Chrysler | eBay). After it arrived, it was not hard to put it back except I could not inflate the tire and had to bring the tire to a shop to inflate and balance.

Altogether, the whole ordeal cost quite a lot of time but on the other hand - I learned a lot about tires. Now I really do not know how safe are those sensors to use. Maybe putting some kind of grease and screwing/unscrewing them periodically would prevent the thread seizing? Would be interesting to hear other folks experience, hopefully positive, since my was definitely not.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dayum, that's nasty.

From an amazon review, I already did not use the locking washer/nut, but after hearing this tale of horror, I think I will remove them all, and add a thin layer of anti-sieze to the valve stem threads before reinstalling them.

At least if they ruin the valve stem, now I know replacement stems can be had -- thanks to your sad affair. :-(

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
WARNING: Withdrawing Recommendation for Tire Pressure Monitor that I Recommended Earlier

I used similar monitor for about a year (see my post in the middle of this page GADGET REPORT) and it worked OK. The serious problem appeared when I needed to pump some air into a tire: I could not remove the sensor! The sensor is secured on the valve with what they call anti-theft threaded washer that you tighten counter clockwise against the sensor. When I tried to unscrew it with the given flimsy little wrench - it was not possible to do it. I made a better wrench and still could not unscrew. I tried then to use the grip wrench to gently unscrew the sensor trying not to destroy it but no success either. When I applied more force, the valve stem tip snapped and broke with the sensor still screwed to it.
View attachment 67847

The examination revealed that the sensor base was made of some kind of copper based alloy, which being in long contact with aluminum valve stem corroded and kind of welded to the valve stem. With this sad experience, I decided to remove other three sensors – they all would not get off. Not wanting to break all stems, I cut most of the sensor out with the angle grinder living a square copper piece to hold it with a wrench, soaked it in the WD40 and brake fluid, heated with a heat gun and successfully removed all three, however the outside thread on the aluminum stem was damaged.

Now I had to fix the broken stem, which happened to be even bigger ordeal. The Dodge dealer does not sell stems, only the stem with TPMS for $96. Local car repair shop offered putting new stem/TPMS piece plus programming it for $150. Both were insane prices for a dollar worth aluminum piece, so I started looking online. It seemed that it was possible in some cases to replace the stem only and use the original TPMS, but I could not find exact info that it can be done for Promaster. Therefore, I had to get the piece out of the tire to see what it is and what can be done. It was not easy, as I do not have special tools, but I managed to break the bid using the van jack that I put between the tire and the van’s hitch. I removed the stem/TPMS and found that those are two separate pieces and TPMS can be easily removed and put on the new stem.

I searched Ebay and found similar looking stem, supposedly matching PM (4x Tyre Pressure Sensor Valve Stem Replacement Kit For Jeep Volvo Ford Chrysler | eBay). After it arrived, it was not hard to put it back except I could not inflate the tire and had to bring the tire to a shop to inflate and balance.

Altogether, the whole ordeal cost quite a lot of time but on the other hand - I learned a lot about tires. Now I really do not know how safe are those sensors to use. Maybe putting some kind of grease and screwing/unscrewing them periodically would prevent the thread seizing? Would be interesting to hear other folks experience, hopefully positive, since my was definitely not.
@World Trekker

Thank You for this report & well described problem. Sorry that happened.

These types of reports are extremely valuable for others that might otherwise purchase them.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #126

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
@RV8R thanks for the ZOLEO tip! Anyone interested in a slightly used DeLorme InReach? ;) Just an FYI for those who are not familiar with satellite communicators in general, Iridium satellite service plans run approx $25-75 a month.

Speaking of gadgets, I just replaced our ancient 5" Garmin GPS with a 7" Garmin Drivesmart 65, as recommended by @proeddie . Wow, it's terrific! The larger size makes it so much easier to read and use the touch screen keyboard. I have it mounted to the factory rear-view mirror bracket, so the dash remains uncluttered.

I also got the Garmin BC30 wireless camera for it, for use as a rear-view camera to supplement the factory back-up camera. Shiny has no rear windows and I find the outside mirrors work fine for me most of the time. I just wanted a camera to occasionally check blind spots before lane changes and keeping an eye on the bikes. I'm not crazy about the BC30 camera. It is very low-res and laggy, but it's adequate for my needs. Their BC40 camera is much higher-res, but it requires batteries and the outside unit is much bigger.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
FWIW

These units are produced to target “air conditioning” small aircraft;

I do not consider them a replacement for proper HVAC, but might be a useful idea to some DIY van campers.

Even if just an idea to build your own.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Gadget report: can a gadget be info?
needed Xmas gift for nephew & his wife

No ideas but they travel....not vaners but tourons

looking @ atlases....i know they are left coast phone rely people but I'm more comfortable with planning with map and using garman to scout

the atlas's do not give the same amount of detail as my 10 year old atlas....go figure

but saw this:

50 states
5000 ideas
Where to go
When to go
What to see
What to do

anyway I like thinking about the next trip....espically in winter as I am fair weather scout

bought 2 last night....one for them & Xmas for me
I know this was an old post, but I use the large Nat Geo atlas. It has National and State Parks, National Forests, other places of interests. More indepth urban areas.
I use it as a prep device, and if for any reason I need to change routes then I go to the sat nav. I try not to rely on technology if I can have a say in the matter.
The best part is that it fits under the drivers seat, not taking up any space.
Good as a gift, or for anyone that wants some printed info in their van.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thermal Cameras -- how far we have come !

Back in 2012, I bought a FLIR I7 with a whopping 120 x 120 thermal pixel resolution for only $1835 -- it was a great deal at the time -- and it has been a useful tool.

Today I came across the FLIR One Pro. The thermal resolution is still not much better (120 x160) but it is less than 1/4 of the price.

One of the big usage problems with my old FLIR is figuring out what it is pointing at. I would often wiggle a pencil in the image near the small part I was interested in to get a match between the real world and the thermal image. These new ones have a visual sensor that is combined with the thermal information to outline the thermal image with visual data. Very nice.

FLIR One Pro for Android:

FLIR One Pro for IOS:

Nice review on AnandTech here: FLIR ONE Pro Thermal Camera Review

Perfect gift for the gadget freak that has one of everything!

121 - 131 of 131 Posts