Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
As fas as microwave popcorn, you can just use paper lunch bags. Out about a quarter cup of popcorn (I use the a cap full from the JollyTime popcorn bottle), fold over the top a couple times, and nuke for 2 minutes (maybe 2.5 in a weaker microwave). Eat out of the bag and toss or burn in your fire.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Thought I would revive this a little bit

I've sung my praises about the Yeti Goal Zero 1000 battery, and its been a really good battery. I did notice that it was draining pretty fast in the cold so I kept going out to the van every few days to clear snow off the panels and make sure it was charging during the day. I didn't check for 2-3 days at one point and went out to find the battery dead. Like completely dead, and wouldn't accept a charge. It was a $1000 dollar paper weight.

LUCKILY, wit was under warranty for being under a year old. The manual had nothing in it about not leaving it in cold temps, although I presume that LI batteries drain like an Iphone in the cold, but I wasn't expecting it to go from 100-dead like that. We got a replacement battery and are keeping it inside the house when not in use to keep it at room temperature. We won't be making that mistake again.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster Silver 1500 low roof
252 Posts

I've sung my praises about the Yeti Goal Zero 1000 battery, and its been a really good battery. I did notice that it was draining pretty fast in the cold so I kept going out to the van every few days to clear snow off the panels and make sure it was charging during the day. I didn't check for 2-3 days at one point and went out to find the battery dead. Like completely dead, and wouldn't accept a charge. It was a $1000 dollar paper weight.

LUCKILY, wit was under warranty for being under a year old. The manual had nothing in it about not leaving it in cold temps, although I presume that LI batteries drain like an Iphone in the cold, but I wasn't expecting it to go from 100-dead like that. We got a replacement battery and are keeping it inside the house when not in use to keep it at room temperature. We won't be making that mistake again.
I have that one too. The instructions I got were clear about it not charging or discharging in cold weather. I believe there was also a note (or I read it on their site maybe) that said that if you have to leave in cold temps for a while, it should be put in a cooler to insulate it a bit - but I presumed it was still to be plugged in even so. It probably should have revived though when brought inside. I brought mine into the house for the winter - esp. because you should always keep it plugged in when not using it. If you registered it when you bought it, you may have a 2 year warranty btw. That's what I was told - on screen and when I phoned them to be sure.

Sorry yours died and glad they replaced it for you! Perhaps solar is not enough to keep it up in really cold temperatures?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Electronic Rear View Mirror
I have it connected to the starter battery and every time I drive in the van I turn on the dash monitor.
RV8R, I’m installing my rear view monitor in the same location on the dash. How did you route the video signal wire? Down A pillar or B pillar? Driver or passenger side?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
RV8R, I’m installing my rear view monitor in the same location on the dash. How did you route the video signal wire? Down A pillar or B pillar? Driver or passenger side?
Vandit

I removed the radio 1st; So from the dash, to under the floor mat (remove the battery cover), head towards the cover over the gas tank, then over to the pillar just behind the driver, up the pillar to the upper wall channel & then to the back & out the black housing over the rear doors

Hope that description makes sense

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
That’s perfect — thanks.

From where did you pull power? Separate run from the battery or tap into fuse box somehow?
directly off the top of the battery with an inline fuse, and same path up to the dash

·
Registered
51 Posts

I just experienced a similar situation with my 2 Renogy 100A Life batteries. I left my van in the cold for about a month and when I went back to try and charge them they were both locked out by the BMS. Renogy suggested using the solar panels to reactivate them but they were covered in snow. Then I purchased a NICO G15000 Genious charger from Amazon but it still did not revive them. Sending them back to Renogy for a warranty return and setting up a heater under them to keep them warm in the van during storage. Also plan on insulating them a bit if I can fit it around them. They are both under the front drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I have that one too. The instructions I got were clear about it not charging or discharging in cold weather. I believe there was also a note (or I read it on their site maybe) that said that if you have to leave in cold temps for a while, it should be put in a cooler to insulate it a bit - but I presumed it was still to be plugged in even so. It probably should have revived though when brought inside. I brought mine into the house for the winter - esp. because you should always keep it plugged in when not using it. If you registered it when you bought it, you may have a 2 year warranty btw. That's what I was told - on screen and when I phoned them to be sure.

Sorry yours died and glad they replaced it for you! Perhaps solar is not enough to keep it up in really cold temperatures?
Luckily I bought it through Costco who have an amazing return policy, but yea we are devising a locked cabinet type solution to place the battery in the van and when not in use we are going to remove it and bring it inside to keep that from happening again. I think its partially that solar isn't effective in snowy winter months, and partially the cold preventing the batteries from charging.

I just experienced a similar situation with my 2 Renogy 100A Life batteries. I left my van in the cold for about a month and when I went back to try and charge them they were both locked out by the BMS. Renogy suggested using the solar panels to reactivate them but they were covered in snow. Then I purchased a NICO G15000 Genious charger from Amazon but it still did not revive them. Sending them back to Renogy for a warranty return and setting up a heater under them to keep them warm in the van during storage. Also plan on insulating them a bit if I can fit it around them. They are both under the front drivers seat.
Seems like a bunch of people on this forum are experiencing this. First winter with my van so I wasn't expecting it frankly. I didn't winterize my water system but i've been checking to make sure the pipes didn't explode. Next winter I'm definitely going to drain the whole water system, so far so good though it seems

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,084 Posts
I have a somewhat analogous situation in my driveway in summer with dense shade. Fortunately, this taught me from the beginning that solar is not guaranteed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome thread. My best gadget related to the van is my Harbor Freight cordless jigsaw. This thing is much more of a beast than I expected. I was really skeptical as I am hard on tools and typically get more expensive tools. But it puts a fine cut on anything from 1/2 maple ply to 1x pine. It cuts better and more precisely than my Bosch corded one. The laser is actually useful and the battery life is good. I did a whole afternoon of sawing and fitting on the panels and it never flagged, so I really only need one battery. The base is more stable and the mechanism for changing blades is good.

I feel like I got it cheaper than listed here, I think I got the fast charger too. It's not lightweight, but I think that helps with stability, and the battery is places so setting it down on the battery is easy. Because I live in an apartment I don't have a lot of room to set up for my bigger saws and this thing made it easy to hack together my build.

20V Hypermax™ Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw - Tool Only

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It cuts better and more precisely than my Bosch corded one.
That's a tough one for me to swallow. Maybe you had a different model(?), but I've gone through a good amount of tools in my time and my 15 yr old Bosch corded jigsaw cuts better than any saw I've ever owned. Even the new cordless ones. Not to say the HF you got isn't great and glad to hear it. But my old Bosch is top dog for me. I'll see if I have it at home later and check the model.
Speaking of cordless, a cordless jigsaw is one of the cordless tools I haven't gotten yet. Probably because I love the Bosch so much. But it would come in handy for sure. Unfortunately, I would have to go with Ryobi because I have so many and the batteries for them. Not sure if their cordless jigsaw is any good

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
That's a tough one for me to swallow. Maybe you had a different model(?), but I've gone through a good amount of tools in my time and my 15 yr old Bosch corded jigsaw cuts better than any saw I've ever owned. Even the new cordless ones. Not to say the HF you got isn't great and glad to hear it. But my old Bosch is top dog for me. I'll see if I have it at home later and check the model.
Speaking of cordless, a cordless jigsaw is one of the cordless tools I haven't gotten yet. Probably because I love the Bosch so much. But it would come in handy for sure. Unfortunately, I would have to go with Ryobi because I have so many and the batteries for them. Not sure if their cordless jigsaw is any good
Will 2nd MsNomer’s +1

81 - 100 of 131 Posts