Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
MARINE HARDWARE;

Another item (Gadget like - but Hardware), that I incorporated is the chrome latch down hardware I found at a marine store. Was not sure exactly what I was looking for (more of a throw bolt hardware), however I came across this and knew it was the right thing ... That rarely happens to me, but I can report that this piece of hardware fits the bill for me perfectly (well other than the $30).

IMG_7349.JPG

Location & Use; to hold down the removable side of the 2 person bench seat (to access the port-a-potty)
IMG_7351.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR

Like many, I am running my van on a reduced tire pressure to get softer ride and have tire pressure warning always on, which negates its usefulness. I found this device below quite useful: sun powered , min installation effort and permanently showing tire pressure and temperature. It's possible also to set up warnings.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR

Like many, I am running my van on a reduced tire pressure to get softer ride and have tire pressure warning always on, which negates its usefulness. I found this device below quite useful: sun powered , min installation effort and permanently showing tire pressure and temperature. It's possible also to set up warnings.

View attachment 59400

View attachment 59401
Thanks WT

Hey that Kenwood is a pretty nice gadget also ?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I posted about this thing in the what do you do for entertainment thread but its been such a great purchase. Its a battery powered mini projector/Bluetooth speaker. The battery life lasts approximately 3 - 4 hours which is two movies, or 4 Game of thrones episodes. We charge it during the day off of our solar power. The Projector itself is android app enabled, so you can download and stream Netflix, Amazon Video, Youtube etc. The real advantage for those who subscribe to Netflix or amazon for instance, is that you can go into the app on the projector at home and download videos for offline usage. That means when you are camping in the boonies you can still watch without internet connection. The speaker comes with a remote, but you actually end up controlling it with a bluetooth app on your phone mainly as the remote doesn't work in apps...for whatever reason. Its bright, and the sound quality is pretty good honestly and its kind of nice that its an omnidirectional speaker. Also, there is a quick switch mode button to just turn this thing into a bluetooth speaker if you want to play some music off of your phone. We use a cheap 11$ ceiling mount that you can see in this picture, and when the projector isn't in use we just unscrew the mount pipe from the base which remains on the ceiling (it kind of just looks like a ceiling puck light).

Projector Amazon Link
Projector Mount Link

Sorry for the poor quality photo.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Hi Cried,
Quite a gadget.

Just want to make sure I understand...
The projector itself will store things that you can stream from Netflix while at home? That is, the projector has onboard memory to store content from Netflix?
How many hours of content can you store on the projector?

Thanks -- Gary

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Hi Cried,
Quite a gadget.

Just want to make sure I understand...
The projector itself will store things that you can stream from Netflix while at home? That is, the projector has onboard memory to store content from Netflix?
How many hours of content can you store on the projector?

Thanks -- Gary
Yep, the Projector has internal storage, I want to say 1-2 gigs I can't remember off of the top of my head. We've had about 7 hours of content stored on there and haven't reached the limit yet (like 5 episodes and a movie or something along those lines). You can open up netflix or amazon and there is an option to download movies or tv show episodes as offline usage and it goes directly into the projector. I wish there was a way for this thing to take a micro SSD card to expand its storage but sadly there isn't, although it has had more than enough internal storage for us.

I haven't tried yet, but I think you can also use the USB cord to your computer and drop video files directly into its internal memory if you have content saved, not from netflix or amazon as well. Plus there is an HDMI port so you can connect a computer or game console, we've hooked up our Nintendo switch to it and played some videogames on our road trip to Wisconsin and it worked great.

We like it so much that we bring it back into the house when we aren't in the van and use it on our bedroom wall, since its size is based off of distance we end up getting about a 100 inch picture when using it inside. In the van we have it set up roughly at the halfway mark of the cargo area and we are getting about a 50-55" picture, and we have a blackout curtain on a rod that goes across the front.

Another crappy photo showing the projected screen size. We have since gotten a better screen. Keep in mind the projected picture looks a lot better than the photo below, my phone's exposure is blowing it out and making it look bad

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
This whole projector thing is a good way to go in a small space when you want a big TV

I like Creid's setup, and posted a similar setup I tried a while back

Right now my 40" screen is a plywood board, formica covered... flat and perfect. I do have a good spot to store it so it doesn't take up any space... still looking at a pull down setup - tried a few but they were not so flat.

Still searching for the perfect screen! For others who may be interested, you need to look at the throw vs. image size ratio. A 1:1 ratio means that to get a 40" image you set it up 40" away.

I have come up with a ceiling mount but no pics yet.

Here's the link to the projector... less than 3" high so it will probably stay mounted to the ceiling - no height issues for us. Battery powered for about 1.5 hours, but I use a power cord.

https://www.promasterforum.com/threads/42-tv-a-new-addition.88932/#post-683876

The projector is a bit more costly ($399) , but is HD 1080p and 600 lumens - not many out there with that resolution. It doesn't connect to netflix, etc. but has a number of inputs plus a player for videos/pics stored on USB sticks or SD cards. I ran wires up to the ceiling for AC or DC power plus HDMI cable & audio output to my back-of-the-van radio.

For "live TV" I plug a Fire TV stick into the back of the unit and power it off the included USB jack. Good if you have internet!

AAXA P7 Projector

These little guys are great for outside use and a big screen too.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
642 Posts
DYMCO Rear View Mirror - High Resolution

Here is a review of the rearview mirror we use.

The rear view is wide angle, but the actual display "mirror" is also very wide and super high resolution, so it is very useful as a rearview mirror.

Here is how we mounted it in the rear housing:

I am pretty happy with it. I was mainly looking for a dashcam and came across this mirror.

Here is "raw" video from the cameras:

Rear:
Front:

About the only thing I did not like was that you had set it to "rear" every time you started the car, but I found that "Stream Mode" makes the rear the default.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Haven't got into negative elevation yet with the PM, but the max so far is 10,948 at Beartooth Pass, Wyoming.
Might have a picture somewhere. Diesel ran great, BTW.
Seems about right ?

Been on that pass with the Harleys

Granite Peak 12,799. 3378C212-57A1-4015-9784-D307B6F70EC3.png

How are you setting your altimeter?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I adjust the instrument whenever I see a roadside elevation sign. Usually on mountain passes. Seldom needs more than 100' correction. It's a worn out unit from aircraft salvage, so not certifiable for aircraft use, but plenty good enough for me. I have them in a couple other rigs too. Love to have a vertical card compass too. The PM has a vacuum pump to drive it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I adjust the instrument whenever I see a roadside elevation sign. Usually on mountain passes. Seldom needs more than 100' correction. It's a worn out unit from aircraft salvage, so not certifiable for aircraft use, but plenty good enough for me. I have them in a couple other rigs too. Love to have a vertical card compass too. The PM has a vacuum pump to drive it.
That is very cool. My mobile devices are mostly apple, and there are many apps for aviation weather where you can get near altimeter settings. AeroWeather is one app, but of course there are tons more.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts