Ram Promaster Forum banner

FYI - Webasto easily fits under Sportscraft lowered seat base

646 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  prakthad
I had a hard time finding this info (maybe it's just common knowledge) but FYI-

the Webasto Air Top 2000 STC easily fits under the Sportscraft steel lowered seat base (bought from Eurocamper).

My setup has: the van steel floor -> the included +\-1" Webasto rubber/foam seal -> a 1/2" thick plywood spacer I made myself (should have made it 3/4" or even 1" but may have needed longer M6 bolts) -> the included Webasto steel mounting plate -> the included oval shaped Webasto rubber gasket -> Webasto heater.

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2021 PM 159 HR - Los Angeles, CA
96 Posts
My setup has: the van steel floor -> the included +\-1" Webasto rubber/foam seal -> a 1/2" thick plywood spacer I made myself (should have made it 3/4" or even 1" but may have needed longer M6 bolts) -> the included Webasto steel mounting plate -> the included oval shaped Webasto rubber gasket -> Webasto heater.
Installing now and have a couple of questions :):
1. Did you put your plywood spacer between the van floor and the rubber foam? Or the spacer is between the steel mounting plate and the foam? Sounds like it is the latter and your foam touches the van floor but want to confirm. Did you put any RTV sealant between the plywood and the steel plate if that is how you installed?
2. Did you use one of these: Webasto Surface Mounting Kit - Vanlife Outfitters since you have a spacer or is it not needed?

· Registered
2019 RAM Promaster 2500 136"
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installing now and have a couple of questions :):
1. Did you put your plywood spacer between the van floor and the rubber foam? Or the spacer is between the steel mounting plate and the foam? Sounds like it is the latter and your foam touches the van floor but want to confirm. Did you put any RTV sealant between the plywood and the steel plate if that is how you installed?
2. Did you use one of these: Webasto Surface Mounting Kit - Vanlife Outfitters since you have a spacer or is it not needed?
1. The plywood spacer was between the foam and the steel plate. The only reason I used it was to get the Webasto hot air output vent above the horizontal bar of the seat base. The way I installed it gave me like a hair of clearance between the vent and the bar. I would have liked something like 1/4". So a 3/4" spacer probably would have been better. I think the bolts would still reach but not 100% sure. I used riv nuts in the van floor in lieu of the nuts that came with the bolts because I thought it would be too hard to install the nuts from below without taking off the heat shield. I did not use any sealant. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have though. Couldn't hurt.

2. That item is only needed if you're installing the Webasto though your finish floor. Not needed if installing directly through the metal van floor.

· Registered
2021 PM 159 HR - Los Angeles, CA
96 Posts
@DETstru: Thanks for the post - it was really helpful.

Just to record my mistakes/learnings for future installers:
The Webasto does indeed fit under the seat. However, with the 1 inch spacer I had made the bottom of the heater was hitting the bottom round beam of the seat base and I could not tighten the gasket against the floor. The issue was that I had left about 1/2 inch in the back of the heater so I was not touching the wire loom that runs under the seat. But that pushed the heater forward. I ended up using a 1.75 inch spacer and that worked perfectly. This is a picture (Xs mark the loom) of the section where the wiring runs.
Hood Luggage and bags Trunk Bag Automotive exterior

I would suggest cutting out 6 inches from the end of the seat and then sticking your hand in to mark the location of the wire loom. If I had butted the heater right up against the wiring, the 1 inch spacer would have been perfect and would look similar to the OPs picture. Here is a picture of my unit installed with the 1.75 inch spacer:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

1 - 6 of 6 Posts