Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Promaster Peeps!

Thanks for all the info and your contributions to this community.

About Me: I am planning a conversion for full time living and traveling with my lady. Although I am only 33, this has been a long time coming. Instead of figuring out how to work and vanlife, I have been working my tail off and pinching pennies to meet a particular savings goal. This goal will finally be met this summer at which point we will be quitting our jobs and living a minimalist lifestyle off some very modest investment returns. Operation early retirement experiment will be in full effect. YES!

The Objective: Backpack, hike, climb, canyoneer, bike, raft and whatever else gets the ol jollys off. All of North America is fair game although the American Southwest, particularly canyon country, has a special place in my heart.

Platform: Promaster 2500. 159WB with high roof. Just test drove one today. Excitement level? 6 year old me walking down the stairs on Christmas morning.

I'll save the build details for another thread. Happy to be here and looking forward to sharing the conversion process!

·
Registered
627 Posts
6 year old me walking down the stairs on Christmas morning.
Walking?

We're jealous that we didn't start this project at 33. But, in retrospect, we did fill those years with lots of other great fun, so not complaining.

Welcome to the forum.

Winston

·
Registered
371 Posts
About Me: I am planning a conversion for full time living and traveling with my lady. Although I am only 33, this has been a long time coming. Instead of figuring out how to work and vanlife, I have been working my tail off and pinching pennies to meet a particular savings goal. This goal will finally be met this summer at which point we will be quitting our jobs and living a minimalist lifestyle off some very modest investment returns. Operation early retirement experiment will be in full effect. YES!
Fantastic job retiring at 33! It has taken us an additional 20 (or so) years to get to that point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic job retiring at 33! It has taken us an additional 20 (or so) years to get to that point.
Thanks! The "retirement" works on paper, but I won't know till I try it. This part of the plan is just as daunting as the conversion! Just started reading the oldmass blog BTW. Look forward to checking it out some more tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
We didn’t hang it up until 52, 19 years later than you but we did raise and educate two kids that spent 5 years and 7 years in college respectively. Then we worked for “fun” a few years to boost our Social Security. Her back at the office filling in summers for vacationing coworkers and me in a summer-only second career as a builder/contractor. Our “retirement” worked on paper and then worked in life too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I hate to sound like sour grapes, but I don’t envy someone retiring at 33. It might have sounded great at 25 but I hate to think where I’d be at now. I may have worked a little too long but I have no fear of my financial future and I have fulfilled my need to raise three well adjusted children. I do not feel like I missed a darn thing, and now I can enjoy the great life ahead.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to sound like sour grapes, but I don’t envy someone retiring at 33. It might have sounded great at 25 but I hate to think where I’d be at now. I may have worked a little too long but I have no fear of my financial future and I have fulfilled my need to raise three well adjusted children. I do not feel like I missed a darn thing, and now I can enjoy the great life ahead.
Sounds like you're jealous Skaggs. :D It's ok, I'm blessed, I know. Haha but in all seriousness I've had a couple folks close to me either pass on too early or have health issues. Am I totally 100% financially set? No, but I have given myself a pretty **** good shot at seeing the country while my knees still work and if all goes to plan and I decide I want to start a family one day, I won't have squandered my savings to do it. Maintain current net worth is the name of the game for me. I'm more fearful of missing out on the world sitting at my desk while my health is good than I am of how my bills are going to get paid in 2047! To each their own :)

We didn’t hang it up until 52, 19 years later than you but we did raise and educate two kids that spent 5 years and 7 years in college respectively. Then we worked for “fun” a few years to boost our Social Security. Her back at the office filling in summers for vacationing coworkers and me in a summer-only second career as a builder/contractor. Our “retirement” worked on paper and then worked in life too.
52 still sounds pretty darn good. Props to both of you for raising and educating a family and still living the dream! I respect everyone who have set and achieved their vanlife goals. It takes hard work, patience, discipline and some courage to break the mold. Your friends and family going "you're gonna do WHAT now?"

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Quit my job a 6/2/17 and picked the van up last week from Tacoma Dodge here in WA!
2017 2500 159wb high roof. Options include power folded/heated mirrors, speed control, wood cargo floor, tow package, U connect 5.0, backup camera and adjustable driver's seat.

I think I got a decent price at $32k before taxes and registration. My permanent address is actually back in IL, so I have the benefit of 7% sales tax vs. WA @ 10%. Not to mention registration is much cheaper in Illinois as well.

I'll start a build thread soon. In the meantime, I'm dedicating most of my time to researching the van build, adventure planning and enjoying summer in the pacific northwest :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I am relived that you have a project so you don’t get quitter’s remorse and go back and beg for your old work back. LOL. Have fun it doesn’t take as much money to live well as most think. We are proof of that. BTW who are those two kids standing in front of your new van?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts