Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone.

My wife and I are current Dodge Caravan owners and tent campers. As we have gotten older sleeping on the ground with the opportunity to get wet is just not what we want anymore. We also seem to have more and more things that we want to take with us and our van is just too cramped when we travel.

We are looking to get a Promaster 136 low roof van to be our upgrade from tent camping. Like most things we do like to figure out exactly how will do things before we do them so I have been lurking here for a while.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,074 Posts
Hi,
Sounds like a plan.

You might give some thought to a high roof -- its pretty nice to be able to standup.

Gary

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have thought about the high roof but are concerned about the ability to use things like ferries or parking garages. At 5'10" I think I will just be able to stand up with out shoes on. My wife is much shorter and will have no problem standing up.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The low roof PM's are Cathedral huge until one puts insulated floor & ceiling in.... and a high roof PM is relatively low just up until the moment one puts a roof A/C, all-weather vent & solar panels on it. I wanted a factory window-wagon and never considered a low roof but if* I had it to do again...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking to avoid the roof A/C, roof solar panels or even a roof vent. I am not a fan of putting extra holes in my roof (this is why my house does not have skylights).

I figured I might loose some height once the floor and ceiling are done but think it still worth it to have the shorter height.

The thing I do not like about the factory windows is none of them open. The CRL windows look as if they are a factory window and some of them open and have screens. Also considering the Motion Windows because every one of them can open but we are less fond of the look.

And Zoomyn if you could do it again, what would you do?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
I'm surprised you can stand up. I'm 5'6" and with my shoes on I hit the ceiling ribs. Yes, parking garages are usually a no-go, but ferries haven't been a problem. Give no thought to wind issues. They appear to be irrelevant for reasons I don't understand.

·
Super Moderator
10,486 Posts
Low roof = big time mistake! If you are 5" 10" forget being able to stand up in it. You're wife, probably, but you will regret it as long as you own it. Your concerns about ferries and garages are unfounded. Yes, you can't go into a lot of parking garages but there are many you can. Parking has never ever been a concern of mine owning both a higher (than the high Promster) Sprinter and high Promaster for over 12 years.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I would recommend high roof for two or three max people...you won't be going in any parking garages with a low roof anyways. It seems WAY bigger. However a low roof can be had for a lot less and there are now many in the 20k range used making them affordable with high roofs still hard to find at bargin prices used. (I have several customers who have been searching for a while on one that is reasonably priced well below a new one) I prefer low roofs...but that is because I sleep 4+ and need to transport people so I put a pop top on it to do all of this which then in essence becomes similar to a high roof but with more utility. (and $$$) It comes down to $, but compared to a caravan or a standard transit roof; you will have gobs of head space in comparison.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Many parking garages/drive throughs/carports/covers are 9 feet and a high roof van can go in. Before I ordered my high top I checked the specs on height and it was 98” NOT, it is, in fact 102+ on delivery. I was building a low garage so I installed 8’6” doors thinking I would have 6 inches and now, will never put the van in ALAS. 9’ is safe for my Fantastic Vent and solar panels too. Your phobia about roof fitments is just that. Relax, cut a vent in, add some panels. Its NO PROBLEM! I asked KOV to come and help me as I was so nervous about it... phobia really... now I am cured!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts