Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Just found this forum, but have been researching ProMasters for over a year. Have one on order which is built but in storage somewhere, after the first unsuccessful order in June that went three months before I discovered it had been cancelled. From reading many of your delivery experiences, I wish I had visited this board much sooner, or I might not have re-ordered at all.

So, for all you out there with ProMasters who ordered them, was it actually worth waiting, and if so, how long did it take, and what now do you like best about your vehicle? If you owned a Sprinter before getting a ProMaster, do you miss your old vehicle? I'm seriously thinking about just getting the old Sprinter spruced up a bit or looking at a Transit. Hate the idea of rear wheel drive, but also hate being jacked around by Chrysler! Let me know what y'all think? :)

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
I had a Sprinter for 10 years and wouldn't even consider getting a new one. I love my Promaster but I just bought it off the lot, I couldn't wait a week after I made my decision let alone months to order it!

A used a Sprinter is nothing but trouble and expense - do yourself a favor and don't even consider one!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had bought a new Sprinter in '08. Nothing but issues with the emissions system, glow plugs, driveshafts, and other stupid stuff including an ECU. I had it for 5 years before I couldn't take the financial beating anymore and sold it.
Forget the Sprinter!!
On a side note, when the Sprinter behaved, it was such an awesome van. Nothing else like it I must say. Then again, not worth the frustration.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Im curious; what combination are you getting thats so special they have to order it? Per my buying experience, all the pms were prettymuch the same except for size. Dealer had 10 of themon the lot.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My experiences with Sprinters have been much the same as the others. I had a '05 2500 long tall that I ran 9x,xxx miles on in a little less than 5 years as a plumbing truck. It had a steady stream of issues with drive shaft, glow plugs, turbo, back doors cracking and rusting, etc., etc. And that's not to mention that after five years running it mostly short run, city driving, loaded heavy, the suspension was crying uncle.

Fast forward to 2010. My boss came to the conclusion that the old Sprinter wasn't going to hold up much longer. So we started looking for a replacement for it. I was unwilling to go back into a regular size van. He looked at cube vans, but they are difficult to get into tight driveways and lack traction in the snowy WI winters. So we settled on a new 2010 Sprinter 3500 long tall with heavy duty rear end. I've been driving this truck for 4 years now and have had many of the same problems with this one. Every 3 months or so, I have to schedule a down day to drive the truck to the dealer to have them fix whatever broke this time. Particularly, glow plugs and glow plug modules. The dealer finally found a melted wire shorting out on a heat shield behind the turbo about 4 months ago. We thought that was the magic fix, but about 3 weeks ago the glow plugs started acting up for about the 6th time. I will readily admit, running plumbing service calls is very hard on any truck. But my 2 Sprinters have had more problems than any of the Chevys or Fords in our fleet. The hassle is compounded by the lack of Sprinter dealers. No one else is efficient at servicing the thing.

For my last three personal vehicles I've had an '06, '08, and an '11 E-350 Super Duty Wagon. They were OK for hauling the kids and doing some occasional work out of, but now that I don't have to haul the kids as much, the seats were getting in the way. Being 6' 3" tall, and having gotten used to the height of my company trucks, I decided I wanted to replace the E-series with a tall cargo van. Being a Ford guy, I wanted a transit. Once the transit dimensions were announced, I gave up on that idea because they don't make one that I can stand up in and still fit in the drive through at lunch time. I don't know what the Ford engineers were thinking, but they should have taken a closer look at Sprinter and PM to see what dimensions they should aim for.

So I started weighing Sprinter vs. PM. Sprinter was a known quantity for me. I didn't feel that my personal use would tear up a Sprinter nearly as much as my work use does. But the Sprinter price point was more than my budget would allow. I had a real hard time when considering a PM. First off, I like American made things. The whole idea of an Italian designed, Mexican built cargo van with the running gear out of a Dodge Caravan was more than I could wrap my head around. After several test drives, my concerns subsided and I concluded that the PM should be more than adequate for my personal van. I ordered a 159" 2500 granite crystal in mid May, got it in mid August. I have built some shelving in the back for tools etc. There are some little oddities with the PM, but nothing that would be worth spending the additional money for a Sprinter. I still wonder myself though, how the PM would hold up to the use I would give it at work. Would it haul 4,000+ lbs. of cargo day-in and day-out? Or would it have all the minor mechanical issues a sprinter has and more? My gut feeling is that the Sprinter is still stronger built when used under a constant heavy load. I likely won't ever get a PM for work use because my boss has what we'll call a strong distaste for Chrysler. He is a Ford guy too, so in a couple years, my next company truck will likely be a Transit 350 long tall. I won't be able to get it through the drive through for lunch, but I'm sure my boss won't think it's a big deal.:D For anything less than extreme duty use, PM may be the perfect option. So far, I have to say I am very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds familiar I ordered one in November of 2013 when they first started arriving on dealer lots. I was told 6-8 weeks before delivery. Not even close- 5 months later vehicle arrived missing some of the options I ordered so I declined to take delivery and got my deposit back. I started thinking, maybe I should just fork out the extra money and get a sprinter? I started doing my research and liked the sprinter/test drove/printed out my Edmunds build/price list etc.. One final "homework" assignment was to ask sprinter owners their likes/dislikes of the their vehicle problem was I couldn't really find any so I thought FedEx drivers! All I can say is once I talked to a few of them my mind was made up No Sprinter! Way too many problems,granted they drive a lot of miles but they all said the same thing "wish we had something more reliable to drive. Having said all this, I think the fit/finish/quality of the sprinter is better than the PM, but I can predict the PM to be much more user friendly financially and a steady workhorse for most of us. Order one you won't regret it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts