Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On a lot of schematics and pictures of electrical systems I see various ANL fuses and some lines with a fuse and an on/off switch, but sometimes I see an inline type re-settable breaker used instead. Is it acceptable to use a breaker instead of a fuse in every situation or are there some instances where one is preferred instead of another?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,531 Posts
A fuse is sometimes used in circuits that require very fast reactions to an overload. A circuit breaker rated at 15A will probably wait a number of seconds before tripping.

That being said, I use circuit breakers for my van heavy duty applications and auto type fuses for branch circuits like lighting, USB ports, etc. As long as I can find the spare fuses, I'm all set!

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
409 Posts
Part of it is the capacity needed. It's pretty easy to find a fuse for higher capacities, like 30A, harder to find a breaker at that level. When you get to things like 100A battery connections it's pretty much fuse or nothing. Also, fuses and fuse holders are cheap, breakers less so.

Assuming the load never exceeds expected, fuses are cheap and easy. If the load is something that overloads regularly - well FIX IT. But somethings that may be something that happens (e.g. a lighter socket might get overloaded accidentally), and there a breaker might be a better answer.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,531 Posts
Wow,

(for future reference) If you search for "car circuit breaker" on 'deBay, you'll find what you need. Lots of these type units in the under $10 range.

I use these for my battery-to-aux-battery-via-isolator, main power feeds, etc.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wow,

(for future reference) If you search for "car circuit breaker" on 'deBay, you'll find what you need. Lots of these type units in the under $10 range.

I use these for my battery-to-aux-battery-via-isolator, main power feeds, etc.
I'm about to start wiring my batteries and inverter. So just to clarify.... I can use these instead of fuses everywhere for my big loads (I have a panel for all my smaller 12v stuff). I'd rather use a breaker than can be shut off to kill the power if needed or can be reset rather than replacing a fuse.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
I think you biggest concern is space limitations in your context.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Beware of inexpensive breakers. Some of the really cheap ones aren't that great.

We use Bussman breakers: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PYL4UA[/ame]
BlueSea is also good: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KOTALG[/ame]

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
If the electrical system is carefully done and protected the fuse will never blow. If it does, or if the breaker trips, the reason may not be obvious and finding the fuse will not be a big deal. Carry an electrical VOM, spare breaker and/or fuses, and electrical tape. You will also need wrenches, pliers, wire cutter, knife, scissors, plain and Phillips screwdrivers, file, or just your leatherman.

Reactions: Josh Cissell
1 - 10 of 10 Posts