Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Campers!

I'm planning a build using a 136" WB hightop Promaster for a daily driver/adventure van. One thing I know I want is a full time bed (not a fold out). I've seen some examples of foam mattresses installed sideways, or perpendicular against the back doors. This frees up enough space for a decent galley and plenty of storage and still maintains some open floorspace.

Now after insulation, framing and walls have been installed, will there be enough room to have a full size bed set up sideways? And if so, will there be enough room for a 6 foot adult to sleep, diagonally if necessary?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Recently finished the platform and installed our full size foam mattress. The mattress is 54" wide, 75" long and 8" tall. My platform is 24" up off the floor. As I recall there is about 74+" to the metal and the mattress squeezed in just fine. My plan is to insulate inside the metal frame. I am not sure how I am covering the outside of the metal at this point but whatever it is it will be thin. Since the mattress covers most of the meal I might not put anything else on it.

As for sleeping, I am 5' 10" and sleeping is fine for the most part as long I have the van level. My wife says I do steal some of her foot space so I guess I am seeping somewhat diagonally (not Diagon Alley..)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
People tend to feel most comfortable in a bed that is 4-6 inches longer than they are tall. That being said my 74” across bed would be a couple of inches longer than your height and I suspect it will be OK. I made a bed you can leave open all the time and if desired collapse into a couch. The reasoning is it does feel much more spacious when closed. This has allowed me to have narrow overhead cabinets, something I had not thought I would do, and a bit less storage under the bed. See MsNomer’s build to see a van with full bed (although narrower than my 54” wide one) and no overhead storage. Both of ours feel reasonably open for such a short van. If we leave the bed open, which we do some days, it feels like a much smaller space. That is OK if we are traveling for the day but if we are forced inside and camping we compact it into the couch and have much a more spacious and comfortable time. That plus the dinette make a rain day in the mountains or near the beach a pleasant time reading, watching a video, studying the maps, or catching up on the computer. We have invited hiking friends in for coffee and chatting and 6 people fit and can still move. Planning the “perfect” van is cheap to do. Mocking it up with cardboard appliance boxes is free to. Spend more time on this part of the planning process to save modifications later. Your plan will then fit your needs. Best.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recently finished the platform and installed our full size foam mattress. The mattress is 54" wide, 75" long and 8" tall. My platform is 24" up off the floor. As I recall there is about 74+" to the metal and the mattress squeezed in just fine. My plan is to insulate inside the metal frame. I am not sure how I am covering the outside of the metal at this point but whatever it is it will be thin. Since the mattress covers most of the meal I might not put anything else on it.

As for sleeping, I am 5' 10" and sleeping is fine for the most part as long I have the van level. My wife says I do steal some of her foot space so I guess I am seeping somewhat diagonally (not Diagon Alley..)
Thank you so much, this is what I needed to hear!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually live in a tiny home and have been sleeping on a full size mattress with my head and feet at the edges of the matters for a while, so I like smaller mattress. I thought about a fold out type of bed, but I'll be spending most of my time outside, so maximizing floorspace isn't an issue for me. But I'll definitely take your advice and use cardboard to create dimensions.

People tend to feel most comfortable in a bed that is 4-6 inches longer than they are tall. That being said my 74” across bed would be a couple of inches longer than your height and I suspect it will be OK. I made a bed you can leave open all the time and if desired collapse into a couch. The reasoning is it does feel much more spacious when closed. This has allowed me to have narrow overhead cabinets, something I had not thought I would do, and a bit less storage under the bed. See MsNomer’s build to see a van with full bed (although narrower than my 54” wide one) and no overhead storage. Both of ours feel reasonably open for such a short van. If we leave the bed open, which we do some days, it feels like a much smaller space. That is OK if we are traveling for the day but if we are forced inside and camping we compact it into the couch and have much a more spacious and comfortable time. That plus the dinette make a rain day in the mountains or near the beach a pleasant time reading, watching a video, studying the maps, or catching up on the computer. We have invited hiking friends in for coffee and chatting and 6 people fit and can still move. Planning the “perfect” van is cheap to do. Mocking it up with cardboard appliance boxes is free to. Spend more time on this part of the planning process to save modifications later. Your plan will then fit your needs. Best.

·
Registered
239 Posts
First Things First

For traveling or camping the number one, first priority, most important thing, taking precedence over all else to me is a comfortable bed in my van. All else is just icing on the cake. I did NOT want a bed that was pieces of padding put together or a mattress that was being folded. I will sleep in this bed many more hours than I would sit on a couch or eat breakfast.
I installed what is called a "short" or "RV Queen". A Queen being 60 x 80 inches, the Short Queen is 60 x 75 and fits long ways from side to side of the van. The van is designed to haul up to two tons so with a light load the van sits high in the back which will give you the felling that you are fighting to keep from rolling out of bed if you make the bed parallel to the floor, so I made mine level instead. I bought a very comfortable mattress and will be a "happy camper".
My bed is made and I am now icing the cake.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't agree more! I've got back, neck and shoulder issues after a lifetime of tearing my body apart, so I'm right there with you on the comfort level. Your setup gives me some ideas. After framing, insulation and wall installation I'd be losing some valuable inches, but I might look at building a frame around the build in a way that would accommodate a full size mattress better.

Thanks for the photos!

For traveling or camping the number one, first priority, most important thing, taking precedence over all else to me is a comfortable bed in my van. All else is just icing on the cake. I did NOT want a bed that was pieces of padding put together or a mattress that was being folded. I will sleep in this bed many more hours than I would sit on a couch or eat breakfast.
I installed what is called a "short" or "RV Queen". A Queen being 60 x 80 inches, the Short Queen is 60 x 75 and fits long ways from side to side of the van. The van is designed to haul up to two tons so with a light load the van sits high in the back which will give you the felling that you are fighting to keep from rolling out of bed if you make the bed parallel to the floor, so I made mine level instead. I bought a very comfortable mattress and will be a "happy camper".

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,518 Posts
I despise making the bed at home, so I certainly wasn't going to set myself up to do it on the road. My bed is 48" x 72" and more than ample. We are both 5'6"; the two of us together are 300 lb. Every inch underneath is usable storage. Bed board is at 28".

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have this same size in our van. It's 10 inches thick and almost as comfortable as our home bed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was asked to better explain how I made my bed so I am adding some other pictures here in hopes they help with the pictures in post #6

Attachments

Reactions: thbb

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Wow that is some skookum bed frame!. It makes my 1/2” plywood frameless bed look way under built. Ours is is 54” wide by 74” long. There must be something magic about those IKEA slats and their 5” mattress- that is probably why all those Scandinavians are smiling. I made mine parallel with the floor so it often slopes down as you point out. Sometimes it is level because the van is parked uphill! Like MsNomer we can leave the bed open for days and we have but when we want we can have a couch! We are off to Mexico to the beach for a few days after Christmas with some friends and will have them "over" for Espar heat, hot drinks or eggnog and the seating for 6 lets us do that on a cold or rainy day. In a 159" you have 2ft more space so the fixed bed makes more sense. Nice to see your ideas coming true.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I ended up building a simple and clean bed frame. Plenty of space below for bikes and a tidy little garage. Toying around with how to mount tools so they don't flop around while driving.

2x4's as supports and a 1 1/2 thing slab of ply wood. An elephant could sit on this thing and it wouldn't break.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,518 Posts
You'd have a problem with an elephant. 300 pounds total would be OK. I assume this is 3/4" ply glued together, or did you find actual 1.5" plywood?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
I like uNik's design, plywood, 2x4s, with foam glued into the center. Nice design, well insulated and lightweight.

Speaking of uNik.... we haven't heard from him in a while....hope everything is oK

eD

ps. He's posted on YouTube as recently as a few weeks ago so it sounds like everything is OK!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
uNik posted up that because he had to change his password he was GONE! It happens.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, actual 1.5 inch ply. No flex at all with 300 pounds. Already tested it with my girlfriend. This bed will hold up to anything I can throw at it. :)

You'd have a problem with an elephant. 300 pounds total would be OK. I assume this is 3/4" ply glued together, or did you find actual 1.5" plywood?

·
Registered
627 Posts
We're 6'4" (now, maybe, really, 6'3"). We built our bed crosswise expecting 75" . . . and we might have gotten 75" had we gone a little lower or higher.

Looking at the first photo of the following post you can see we intended on the full width just below the horizontal support ribs. But . . . forgot one detail . . . the mattress. As it now stands, our dimension is limited by the inside dimension between those opposed horizontal ribs. And you can tell by the photos that follow that we're slightly too tall for that space, although we live with it.

As we wouldn't want to make the bed any lower (space needed for storage), the best solution might have been to go higher. Or, now, bed finished, we might just get a thicker mattress and bury the two horizontal ribs below the top of the mattress . . . this would give us a the full 'window-to-window' space, at least another 2 inches.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=382298&postcount=32

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,518 Posts
Winston, if your bed board were at the top of that cross member above your head and feet in those photos, you'd have 78" to stretch out in. Instead of a thicker mattress, why not more storage?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts