Ram Promaster Forum banner

Fuel prices - Gasoline vs Diesel

10K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  keeponvaning 
#1 ·
C'mon... this is always a neverending ramble, might as well get started. :nerd::D

I think we've all noticed the crash in gas prices recently. Has made the gas/diesel decision a bit different, whether you're doing lots of miles or not.

Here in SE WA I've seen it down to $1.67 just a couple weeks ago. And now... now its climbing. Went back to $1.77, then $1.85, and this morning I watched it jump 14 cents to $1.99 in a couple hours while at the dentist.

Meanwhile diesel is still dropping here. At the same station (easy for me to reference as its near home, but I never fill up there) it dropped 2 cents this morning, down to $2.59.

Haven't really noticed diesel prices before, no reason to. But don't recall it being down to a 60 cent differential for awhile (or just 30% more).

#3 ·
A'right, so maybe I'll use this for my own documentation and curiosity...

At my corner station, gas is up to $2.05 and diesel has bumped slightly to $2.65.

Holding at about a 29% price bump for diesel, better than the nearly 50% bump I was seeing at some stations a short while ago.

#7 ·
Personally, I've been used to much higher gas prices. Most of the time I've been using ethanol-free gasoline, but that has been at $1 to $1.50 more over even premium fuel. For quite awhile I was paying around $4.70, now I think its down to $3.60.

It hurts at the pump, but its cheap insurance in the long run. Especially for my old '71 Dodge. Already had to replace a carb because ethanol fuel buggered it up beyond repair. (admittedly, it did sit for quite awhile, but I've never seen ethanol-free get anywhere near that bad)

And ya know, while I like to watch the prices, and chat about 'em... overall I don't really notice. I have one or two gas stations that I fill up at in town, I never bother looking at the price. 1) Its not worth going out of my way to save 3 cents/gal, and 2) what am I going to do, not put gas in the car?

#9 ·
Its been posted , but i too use the gasbuddy app. I use the map feature so i can tell at a glance "should i fill up here or go over the state border and fill up there"

But its also been said, and worth repeating, that only a sap drives 10 miles to save 2 cents. Even 10 cents a gallon is only a max of $2.40 per tank. Thus, i generally go to whatever gas station i dont have to make a left turn to get into, or whichever one has french vanilla flavored coffee creamer.

#11 ·
I agree with Keith. It surely has paid off for me.

I don't go out of my way, but I check gasbuddy app and stop to fuel up at the exit with cheaper diesel. One exit diesel is $1.30 more than gasoline and the next is only $.20 difference. During the last few months I haven't paid more than $0.5 a gallons more for diesel than gasoline. It also helps when you can drive 600+ miles between fuelups. I can just pass through states with more expensive diesel and only fuel up in cheaper states. Has worked for me for the last 10 years, so...

#12 ·
That does bring up something very important; tank size. I could make price shopping for fuel more lucrative if i could buy more than 24 gallons of the stuff. A 50 gallon tank would be nice.

As i understand it, modern gas tanks are quite complicated. The computer runs some kind of pressure test on the tank at various intervals to test the evap system. I think id have to overcome this before i simply added another tank. I think you might need two fuel pumps if you ran two tanks. Dunno. But when it gets warmer ill look into it. Motor home conversions must run up against this problem alot - maybe they know.

#13 ·
A weekly-ish update... gas just bumped up today, $2.13, diesel still at $2.67. Down to 25.3% higher price.

KoT: I grew up in SoCal, knew someone that had a Mercedes diesel sedan. They'd outfitted half the trunk with a tank. Don't remember the overall volume, but it was massive. He went south to Mexico often enough that's where he bought most of his fuel.

#16 ·
Via Gas Buddy in Akron Ohio
Gas 2.49
Diesel 2.99

I gotta say; I know that in absolute terms 2.49 for gas is dirt cheap, but I got used to the 1.67 I paid back in January. Ah the good old days.....of a month ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.