Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of ya'll changed the fuel filter on the diesel? Does anyone have pictures or drawings? Have anybody bought a fuel filter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
oil alternative

I have been researching several companies because 10.5 qts of 10 dollar per qt oil sucks. i have found 2 that need attention. 1 is rotella t1 or t6 both are low ash and safe for dpf filters. the other is ms 11106 compliant its kendall gt1 euro 5w30, kendall sells for 8 dollars a qt.id also like to get a spare fuel filter

·
Registered
533 Posts
I changed my fuel filter at the dealer at 30k miles and will be due to change it again. Labor charge was $108.00.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Where is it? In the tank? The manual says:

"Please see your authorized dealer for fuel filter replacement."

There is a picture of the Diesel under-hood and an arrow to #6 in this pic. Is that "the one" or not. Elsewhere it mentions draining water from the fuel filter if a warning comes up and I assume the under-hood filter is where that would be done? Its kind of inaccessible!

·
Registered
533 Posts
#6 is the fuel filter the should be changed every 30k miles. It's under hood, a little tight but fairly easy for a competent mechanic. The housing opens and fuel filter comes out, new one replaced, done!

I don't believe you will ever need to worry about draining water, but yes at the bottom of the fuel filter housing there is a nut to open and drain water.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to change a driver headlight bulb, with the headlight housing off there seems to be extra room to access the fuel filter. I still have not changed my filter yet though. What is procedure?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yesterday I had my fuel filter changed for 2nd time at 62k miles. I didn't do it myself, had a local diesel shop I'm friends with do it.

Headlight does not have to come out and they did not pull the headlight to change filter but removing the headlight will give you much more room to work with there. There are 2 screws, 1 on each side of housing in the middle of housing. The rest is unplugging things off of the housing. It took the shop a little over half hour to change filter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In this UK forum thread can be found the procedure to remove and open the fuel filter plastic box.
It is a part made by UFI Filter.

To open it there are special tools made by different and can be done also "in-house".
It can be opened also without a special tool, but paying attention to not break it (and it is not an improbable event).
Anyway, at least in Europe, filter and housing are not very expensive (complete with housing can be found easily Euro 120 - 150).

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/118355-how-replace-x250-diesel-fuel-filter-part-i.html

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/1160223-post.html#1875914

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I asked to see the fuel filter at both changes. My first fuel filter change at 31k and second at 62k. Both times the filters looked grey in color and otherwise were in good shape.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
#2 diesel (fuel oil) used to be filthy stuff, lots of black silt that filled the filter and even accumulated in the bottom of storage tanks. I have a friend who began a business pumping the sludge out, filtering it and using it in tractors and trucks. His diesel supply was free and the tank owner got rid of the sludge and lost a few gallons of diesel in the bargain. Our UL sulfur product does look cleaner. Makes one wonder about the replacement interval for the filter. I am surprised the filter wasn't BLACK.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree, they should've looked black, but not at all. A light to medium gray in color and very clean. No sludge or any filt in housing. I feel 30k fuel filter interval changes are too soon after seeing how clean the filters were.

Now my driving is all highway and I suppose a city driver will have about 3 times more hours on a filter by the time they reach 30k.

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
142 Posts
I bought a fuel filter recently, because I'm contemplating to have it installed at 20K insteaad of 30K just in case I've pumped high bio-diesel. I have alittle over 15,000 miles on my PM. Manual states "use of biofuels require intervals shorter than the outlined 30,000 miles and must not exceed the suggested schedule. When operating on biofuels greater than 5% and less than 20%, fuel filter replacement intervals must not exceed 20,000 miles".
Everytime I pump diesel, I look at the pump station for bio numbers, zippo, no numbers, no mention of bio, nothing! So how can I be sure I'm pumping 5 percent or less bio?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I looked at my filter housing yesterday and it is nothing like the pictures shown on sites for the Ducato in Europe. Mine is metal with a bunch of connections both electrical and hoses. I think I'll let the dealer service department change it the first time and ask the tech how it's done.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I bought a fuel filter recently, because I'm contemplating to have it installed at 20K insteaad of 30K just in case I've pumped high bio-diesel. I have alittle over 15,000 miles on my PM. Manual states "use of biofuels require intervals shorter than the outlined 30,000 miles and must not exceed the suggested schedule. When operating on biofuels greater than 5% and less than 20%, fuel filter replacement intervals must not exceed 20,000 miles".
Everytime I pump diesel, I look at the pump station for bio numbers, zippo, no numbers, no mention of bio, nothing! So how can I be sure I'm pumping 5 percent or less bio?
It will state the Bio Diesel mix ratio on the pump where you can clearly know if it is bio diesel! Otherwise it should not be any mix at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I looked at my filter housing yesterday and it is nothing like the pictures shown on sites for the Ducato in Europe. Mine is metal with a bunch of connections both electrical and hoses. I think I'll let the dealer service department change it the first time and ask the tech how it's done.
The diesel fuel filter (/water separator) changed over years in Fiat Ducato.

If your fuel filter looks like this one that is installed in newer Ducato (X290), but also on Euro 5 (X250 model = Ram Promaster) than all the metallic part is replaced.
It is easy to replace since pipes diameters are different.

And here is the filter

Instead if it looks like this one (this one is for example of diesel Fiat 500L, but many others vehicles use it) than the filter cartridge is similar to the one found in the plastic housing.
In this model has to be open the housing removing the screws on the anular part.
Position of the tubes, than can be 2 or 3, can differ since there are several models used in many different vehicles.
With filter is sourced also a new o-ring seal. It is useful to wet it with diesel fuel before installing as well as the upper rubber part of the filter cartridge.

The part with blue cap is a container to put the used filter for waste disposal.

On Youtube there are videos from Valeo that explains how to replace the different diesel fuel filters.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the metal housing kind. I bought my filter at dealer about $59. Housing removes with 2 bolts and disconnect fuel lines. Package says not to touch filter with hands. I used the clear plastic container to hold it while installing the top. It was a piece of cake. I did remove the headlight to have more room, but it is not necessary. I changed mine at 80k miles. I was not having any issues and will wait that long again unless I get some sort of problem. My filter did not look dirty or ruptured.

·
Banned
413 Posts
I got a SERVICE FUEL FILTER on the EVIC yesterday, accompanied by the van not starting. Pulled key out, waited ~30 seconds, and it started and ran fine.

Called service manager @ dealer today and he said that crawl actually indicates that there's water that needs to be drained. I located the nipple on the bottom of the filter but it doesn't have wrench flats of any sort that I can detect.

Dealer says they'll normally drain it for $10 on top of an oil change, but that they'll do this one as a courtesy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my filter housing has no drain valve in it, just a place one could be but its not drilled

·
Banned
413 Posts
Drain is actually out the top. Small piece of hose needed, then you cycle the key to build pressure and push the water out. Not speaking from experience -- just parroting what the tech told me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts