Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the heck is the fuel filter on the PM, and what's the maintenance interval?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Most gasoline engines nowadays only have a "sock"like filter on the suction side of the pump / sending unit inside the fuel tank, with no scheduled replacement interval. There may be an in-line filter between that and the engine, but if present, it's only meant to be a last-ditch emergency filter in case there is a problem with the in-tank filter or if the fuel pump grenades and sends shrapnel down the fuel line.

Basically, there's nothing requiring scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not having a filter seems nuts at first, but I see their logic. I had a van that I put 130k on without a fuel filter change, and for all I know it may have been the original factory filter.

One of the selling points of the PM for me was the access panel for the fuel tank and pump. It shows as least they put some thought into maintenance, rather than just assuming you'd throw it away after 100k. Nice.

Reactions: shreddagorge

·
Registered
604 Posts
Read the manual. If there you will find out.
Ahhhhh... The Manual... The source we all know and love? Never seen one with so many mistakes in it! Right on Fiat/Chrysler/Ram, they've done such an excellent job on it! NOT:(

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In fact I read the manual. Promaster manual makes no mention whatsoever of a fuel filter. On a hunch, I read the Ducato manual, which DOES say replace the filter every 45,000km.

Gonna have to buy the FSM (factory service manual). It's gotta have a fuel filter somewhere, doesn't it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was just being sarcastic with my post. However if it isn't in the manual and it's a service item there will be a bulletin issues for it long before it would require service. Almost every gas station has a quality filter within the pump and with the one onboard plus the plastic tank you may never need to change it out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Ducato's fuel filter will be for the diesel engine ... that is a completely different matter.

On a VW TDI, fuel filter replacement was an easy 5 minute DIY job every 30,000 km and it was easily accessible under the hood.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Has anybody changed the fuel filter on the diesel? Mine has 51k miles and would like to know how it's done.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I would like to know too! The manual mentions draining water from the filter. Some of you in a very humid climate might nee that or any of us that get some fuel from a station with condensate problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts