Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a contractor that others may want to get vengeful for the fact I may of gotten a job that some handyman didn't. I always was taught to ensure you had a locking gas cap. Until a couple weeks ago I owned a Dodge Sprinter which has the fuel door hinge on the opposite side compared to the ProMaster and has a tab that is covered by the drivers side door. So as long as the doors are locked no one can get to the fuel cap.

Just a couple days ago we purchased a 2500 diesel ProMaster. The DEF and fuel cap are behind a non-locking door. I am not sure if they offer a locking cap for either the fuel or DEF. So I opted to remove the fuel door and enclosure and install a desk drawer lock. Granted if someone wanted to get in there they can easily break the fuel door open, but I would be alerted to the fact that someone tampered with it. Here is a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Thank you!

I used a silicone grease on the inside of the lock cylinder and inside the key way to keep moisture at bay.
I would think that being a lock designed for a desk drawer that it would rust out rather quickly outdoors. I guess time will tell. I'm interested in performing this mod since I'll be traveling through Mexico this year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the same style disc tumbler cam lock that is on my outdoor mailbox at my apartment complex. I have been here for 12 years and no issues with the locks at all. I have been searching amazon for other types.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://www.fjmsecurity.com/Cam-Locks.php

I been seeing a lot of the FJM locks on Amazon. So here is the line to FJM webpage. They have ones with a spring loaded dust cover which will help prevent water and grim from getting into the key hole, and listed as weather resistant. Dust Shutter Cam Locks Sku # 3414

·
Registered
754 Posts
Only thing untoward I see is greater chances of sparks, static or contact, on a gasoline version...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only thing untoward I see is greater chances of sparks, static or contact, on a gasoline version...
The fuel compartment and door is plastic and rubber. So the metal tab that moves is not making metal to metal contact. The screws that secure the fuel compartment into place are metal and screw into the body, so one if inclined can run a ground wire from the screw to the lock cylinder to keep it grounded.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know I was just thinking about my past trucks I owned. I had a 1985 Chevy cutaway with a KUV style box on the back and all the compartments used a cam style locks. As long as I kept them lubricated I never had any issues with them. I did find a nice dust cover that would help prevent water and dirt out of the keyway opening.

I did order up the dust cover, so once it is in I will post pictures with it installed.

I do apologize I didn't have the foresight to take step by step pictures of me doing the modification.

It was pretty simple though. Four screws hold the door compartment in place, and the fuel cap and DEF cap retainer is easily removed from the compartment so you can keep the caps in place while you do the modifications.

One I got inside I placed painters masking tape on both sides of the fuel door and then used the retaining nut to draw my guide lines. I used a dremel tool to cut out the hole needed using a rotozip style bit.

Then I mounted the cam lock onto the door with the cam lever I wanted and used the turtle retainer washer that has these little tabs sticking out which helps prevent the lock from rotating in place . I then used the painters tape to cover the inside where the cam lever will pass through.

I closed the door and through the opening in the back of the compartment for the fuel spout I marked the tape where the top of the lever would first have to pass through the side.

Then I opened the door and used the Dremel too with a side cutting wheel to cut a notch into the plastic from the mark at the top and down approximately an 1 1/2" to allow the cam lever full travel into the locked position.

The cylinder I used was a 7/8" depth one. I would not go with anything shorter. Only thing I would of done different was get my hands on a 3/4" drill bit to drill a nice clean hole.

I do hope this thread and this post has been helpful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
If the lock is not engaged can the door be opened and closed and the origional clip hold it closed? I might want the lock but not all the time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the lock is not engaged can the door be opened and closed and the origional clip hold it closed? I might want the lock but not all the time.
Yes with the cam lock in the unlocked position, the fuel door will work just like if it was not there.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Awesome mod! I was just thinking of something like this the other day when I did my first fill up! I wondered why they don't with a lock from the factory, or an inside release.

I'm going to order that lock set now! Thanks

Anyway, First time I opened my fuel door the thing fell off in my hands. It was broke on the left with where the pin runs. It's one of the things I put on the list for the dealer to fix while they have it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed the pictures I posted doesn't show the slot for the cam that I cut into the side. So here is the picture of the slot that the cam rotates into.

It is not the cleanest cut but is a snug fit for the cam and secures the door from random people wanting to play around.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
Locking Fuel Cap for Gassers

For the Gassers out there, I've had good luck with the Gates 31836 locking fuel tank available on Amazon for $12... no warning lights and appears to seal well.

Can't speak to an equivalent for the Oilers...

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can always install a switch and have it connected to your alarm. Opening the door to steal gas will trigger your alarm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can always install a switch and have it connected to your alarm. Opening the door to steal gas will trigger your alarm.
I am not overly worried about people stealing the diesel. I am more worried about someone putting some sort of containment in the diesel or the def tank.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got my van back from the dealership, they had it for the install of my shelving and Remote start/alarm.

So now that I got it back I upgraded my lock by adding a spring loaded metal dust cover to help protect the lock cylinder from the environment.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts