Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I inherited this vehicle from my older brother after his passing. So it has great sentimental value along with the obvious perks and Im currently in negotiations with Wayfair to do the build out. I hesitate because, I do not want to be limited in my travel to warm weather months only and the brakes have frozen up three times. The first time it was towed to a dealer who parked it inside until it thawed. I have read all 4 pages of postings but I’m wondering if there’s any new information and leaving it without the brake engaged is not an option for me. Unfortunately I have to rely on my dealer (or the sun) for a fix because I’m not educated in the mechanics of a vehicle Maintenance nor do I have the tools or facility to work on it. Any guidance you can give me is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Make leaving it off an option for you and Bingo you got the solution. There are threads here on remedies but none you can do in the winter except have them replaced.
We used a product called LPS 2 spray to shoot down the throttle cable on our old snowmobiles to keep them from freezing. It displaced the moisture, was temporary, and just barely worked on those 2 ft cables. WD-40 might today (Water Displacement-40th try). Your best bet is to get to summer and modify the end of the cable to prevent water entry and a treatment to remove what is in there.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
398 Posts
If you cannot work on it yourself find an independent mechanic that can work on it. The dealer will only replace parts and not really solve the problem. Lube, lots of lube.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Or once you fix it (or it warms up and frees up) just don't use the E brake below freezing weather. Putting it in R or D when ignition is turned off leaves the engine "in gear" kinda like P on auto and e brake not needed.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Does the OP have a diesel? I do and leaving it in D (or R) and shutting the engine off is what you are always supposed to do and so it will be in gear, it won’t move. I drove manual vehicles in NEK of Vermont for 40 years and we NEVER used the e-brake. It would freeze in winter and be so rusted as to lock on otherwise. We had semi-annual then later annual safety inspections and no one ever tried the e-brake as none in the whole state probably worked!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello All, I inherited this vehicle from my older brother after his passing. So it has great sentimental value along with the obvious perks and Im currently in negotiations with Wayfair to do the build out. I hesitate because, I do not want to be limited in my travel to warm weather months only and the brakes have frozen up three times. The first time it was towed to a dealer who parked it inside until it thawed. I have read all 4 pages of postings but I’m wondering if there’s any new information and leaving it without the brake engaged is not an option for me. Unfortunately I have to rely on my dealer (or the sun) for a fix because I’m not educated in the mechanics of a vehicle Maintenance nor do I have the tools or facility to work on it. Any guidance you can give me is appreciated.
This cost me 4000 dollars to fix had a complete meltdown my brakes have seized more than 3 times I live with cold winters my suggestion sell truck sooner than later

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
JJ- That’s silly. Fix the small problem before such catastrophic damage occurs. Most vehicles will have the frozen cable problem. And yes I know a few don’t. Many vehicles are prone to having the calipers rust and lock on or the slides corrode and wear the inside shoes in about 10K miles. What woud you buy instead?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This cost me 4000 dollars to fix had a complete meltdown my brakes have seized more than 3 times I live with cold winters my suggestion sell truck sooner than later
JJ- That’s silly. Fix the small problem before such catastrophic damage occurs. Most vehicles will have the frozen cable problem. And yes I know a few don’t. Many vehicles are prone to having the calipers rust and lock on or the slides corrode and wear the inside shoes in about 10K miles. What woud you buy instead?
It’s not it’s Canada was doing it took it in it warmed up it realesed itself then a lot of time you don’t even realize it’s happening second time it happened 800.00. For an apparent Cable fix then I find out it’s doing it again !!!!! Trust me I take the utmost care of my vehicles and it’s not an option you have to use emergency brake I tried not using it and almost ran over my employee !!

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Help me understand what is going on here. I understand the frustration and really am sorry for your expense. I have a diesel and I can park fine anywhere w/o the e-brake. I pull to where I want the van to sit, while it is running I check to be sure it is in D or R and turn it off. The buzzer comes on and the dash says to put the emergency brake on. I pull up on the lever about 1-2 cm to shut off the buzzer and then return it to it’s off position. That does not apply my e-brake at all as there is that much play in the cable. I take my foot off the brake and the van will not move as it is in gear. You cannot move it and it cannot run over anyone. The diesel is a manual transmission and should always be shut off in drive (low-first gear) or reverse. I have done this many times and it works! What is different for you? I hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Help me understand what is going on here. I understand the frustration and really am sorry for your expense. I have a diesel and I can park fine anywhere w/o the e-brake. I pull to where I want the van to sit, while it is running I check to be sure it is in D or R and turn it off. The buzzer comes on and the dash says to put the emergency brake on. I pull up on the lever about 1-2 cm to shut off the buzzer and then return it to it’s off position. That does not apply my e-brake at all as there is that much play in the cable. I take my foot off the brake and the van will not move as it is in gear. You cannot move it and it cannot run over anyone. The diesel is a manual transmission and should always be shut off in drive (low-first gear) or reverse. I have done this many times and it works! What is different for you? I hope this helps.
I understand that and I was doing that but if you are loaded and on incline or decline you need to use e brake I’ve tried not to use it but couple times I I went to start It without being in truck and as soon as engine starts the truck starts rolling . Trust me I tried not to use it but I almost killed someone and said it wasn’t worth playing games with e brake the **** thing should work it’s not a toy it’s a commercial vehicle trust me I am not stupid and when it’s -20 and you use that e brake once unintentionally it’s over brakes will be seized

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
How do you start it when it is gear? Mine won't do that and yours shouldn’t. To start the diesel you must press the foot brake, move the shift to neutral, and then turn the key. There is something really wrong with this.
No one suggested you were stupid. Harming someone would be a terrible conclusion.
There have been posts of people who have modified the cable to prevent water from getting into it and freezing. Search is you friend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When the truck is cold I put my hand in move leaver to neutral and hold brake down with one hand start with the other Once truck starts tranny disengages and starts rolling !!!! I am sure many people Start their vehicle without actually being inside to warm it up ! Regardless I won’t leave ebrake disengaged anymore to so rear brakes don’t seize and end up killing someone it’s too dangerous

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
When the truck is cold I put my hand in move leaver to neutral and hold brake down with one hand start with the other Once truck starts tranny disengages and starts rolling !!!! I am sure many people Start their vehicle without actually being inside to warm it up ! Regardless I won’t leave ebrake disengaged anymore to so rear brakes don’t seize and end up killing someone it’s too dangerous
Of course the van rolls, it is out of gear like any manual transmission vehicle would be. When someone is hurt or killed and the fact you do this, disabling the safety features to prevent it happening, expect to be found liable for your actions that led to the injury or death. I’ve heard enough to suggest you sell it too. I hope you have the good sense to desist doing something that is obviously dangerous! Even with the E-brake it is not safe and should not be done. I had a neighbor who’s son died starting his tractor in a similar way which ran over him crushing the young man. Please reconsider ever doing this ever again. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Of course the van rolls, it is out of gear like any manual transmission vehicle would be. When someone is hurt or killed and the fact you do this, disabling the safety features to prevent it happening, expect to be found liable for your actions that led to the injury or death. I’ve heard enough to suggest you sell it too. I hope you have the good sense to desist doing something that is obviously dangerous! Even with the E-brake it is not safe and should not be done. I had a neighbor who’s son died starting his tractor in a similar way which ran over him crushing the young man. Please reconsider ever doing this ever again. Thanks.
[/QUOTE clearly you are not understanding so what you are saying is you shouldn’t let it idle to warm up are you sure. You have a eco diesel promaster with a robotic tranny because it needs to be in neutral to start Therefore if you are trying to let it idle without handbrake because they freeze in winter the truck is going to Roll!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
You can tend to the e-brake and replace it, then monitor it until it bothers again or just sit in the truck as it warms. It has an electric assist in the heater so you get heat immediately. The engine needs little warm up so off you go!
Manual transmissions work like that. You bought a manual. I lived in NEK Vermont for 50 years and managed to drive manual vehicles without an e-brake. Change your habit and it will be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts