Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I let my Promaster freeze up. It's been well below zero here for a couple of weeks, only a couple of high temps hit double digits (like 10). Van no start. :crying:

I hooked a charger up to make sure I had plenty of juice, and tried to start the unit up today -- no soap! First of all, when I turn on the key I hear a constant sound like the fuel pump running, but it never stops. Then when I crank, it tries to start, fires briefly, and fails to catch. Display flashed something about fuel filter needs service. I only have 2400 miles on the unit. I think the fuel filter is frozen!

Do they do a winter blend of diesel like they do gasoline in this area? I filled up last in Paducah, KY in November, probably summer blend still.

It's supposed to get up around 30 on Sunday (with freezing rain) and I will try again then. If it fires up, should I add some sort of "Heat" product for diesel?

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
The diesel in nothern states is winterized after some date, perhaps November. If your fuel is left from before that, no go. Also you should have both an engine and transmission plug in heater if it is near zero Fahrenheit. RTM

From the diesel manual:
CAUTION!
If the “Generic Warning Light” remains on and a “Service Fuel Filter” message displays, DO NOT START engine before you drain the water from the fuel filter housing to avoid engine damage. Please see your authorized dealer for draining the fuel filter/water separator and fuel filter replacement.

Extreme Cold Weather
This vehicle has three heating elements; one engine block heater (a resistance heater installed in the water jacket of the engine) and two transmission heaters (one resistance heater installed under the oil reservoir of the hydraulic actuation system and one on the differential cover of the
transmission). They require a 110–115 Volt AC electrical outlet with a grounded, three-wire extension cord. Their use is recommended for environments that routinely fall below -10°F (-23°C). They should be used when the vehicle has not been running overnight or longer periods and should be plugged in two hours prior to start. Their use is required for cold starts with temperatures under -17°F (-27°C).
NOTE: The engine is designed to work at an ambient temperature ranging from -22°F to + 122°F (-30°C to + 50C°). Rubber, pipes, timing belt cover and electronic devices are not designed to work out of this range.
In the case of LOW temperature after Starting, the Automated Manual Transmission may not be able to engage first gear. In this case a message Shift not allowed appears. In this situation use the engine block heater.

NOTE: The engine and transmission block heater cord is a factory installed option. If your vehicle is not equipped, heater cords are available from your authorized MOPAR® dealer.
• A 12 Volt heater built into the fuel filter housing aids in preventing fuel gelling. It is controlled by a built-in thermostat.
• A Diesel Pre-Heat system both improves engine starting and reduces the amount of white smoke generated by a warming engine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you get it started, recommend that you add some diesel 911 to the tank. It is a deicer / water remover. When it was very cold here, I would always add 8 oz of diesel Kleen to the tank with each fill up (already winter fuel blend here in MN).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We had a couple of days in the 50's, so I cranked over the frozen beast to see what would happen, and...

it fired up immediately! No errors or issues of any kind. I drove to the cheapest diesel in town (thanks Gas Buddy) and filled up with some nice, fresh winter blend. I also tossed in a bottle of ISO-HEET, which I picked up at Walmart in a 4-pack for just over $6. Believe it or not, all the auto parts stores around me were completely sold out of diesel products.

I drove around and took care of a couple of errands, and the unit ran great -- I'm so pleased! Then the temperature here dropped over 30 degrees in about an hour -- BRR!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts