Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a source for after market lowering springs. Lowered the rear, now I wanna lower the front more. Already adjusted the shock and got an 1" lower.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Has anyone found a source for after market lowering springs. Lowered the rear, now I wanna lower the front more. Already adjusted the shock and got an 1" lower.
Which van do you have?? And how did you lower the rear.?
Mine is a 1500 -136"
I would like to know how you lowered the rear and by how much??
thank you

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Same here. Don't have an answer but I'd like to know how you did it and by how much also. If you have pictures I'd love to see the van itself and also the suspension modifications.

Pictures of European Ducatos show their rear suspension are much lower than ProMasters, at least when PMs are empty. The rear ends look jacked up like 60s muscle cars.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sorry, I type slow. Is that about 3 to 4 inches lower at rear? The depth of beam plus leaf springs? Any other rear mods?

By the way, it looks like a great ride height -- more in line with Ducatos I saw in England. Was van empty or loaded for picture?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It lowered about 3 1/2" no other mods on rear. Yes depth of beam and bracket. Pic is with all my tools and 1 1/4" plywood subfloor I installed. It is a 1500 136", but way stiff rear end. Never got much sag with heavy loads. Hated how it handled on the freeway all jacked up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The front was easier, wheel wells are deceiving because front wheel well is taller. Follow the body lines and you see the difference. It sits level now...
In and out access is a small step in now. I've driven it off road on my property and it gets around fine with it low.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
6go looks nice and level, just like the Ducatos.
For safety I have noticed that all the weight is now on the threads.
I do not know the rating on the u bolts, but some are designed for this.
Keep an eye on it. I personaly think it is strong enough myself.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not sure I want to lower the suspension. I like the way it looks with some rake. I have noticed though, that it can get a little squirrely at highway speeds. I thought it would get better with some weight on it, but I have about 1000 lbs. in it now and its still a little touchy. I have been wondering if anyone makes a heavy duty sway bar for the back of the PM yet.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The front was easier, wheel wells are deceiving because front wheel well is taller. Follow the body lines and you see the difference. It sits level now...
In and out access is a small step in now. I've driven it off road on my property and it gets around fine with it low.
Thanks for feedback and for posting pictures. Your van looks great to me with clearance between top of tires and bottom of wheel wells about the same front and rear. Looks balanced.

Promising to me is that if a PM can be lowered 3-1/2 inches or thereabouts by reversing springs, plus at least another 1/2 inch with different tires, then the overall height can be reduced from 100 to about 96 inches. And that makes a high roof PM close to garageable for me. Having to park a new van outdoors is a deal breaker, so it's good to see your lowered van still looking normal.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
6go looks nice and level, just like the Ducatos.
For safety I have noticed that all the weight is now on the threads.
I do not know the rating on the u bolts, but some are designed for this.
Keep an eye on it. I personaly think it is strong enough myself.
I wasn't going to say anything about it but since you brought it up. Leaf springs below axles are common even in new vehicles, so with quality U-bolts that shouldn't be an issue. What does concern me more is that the bracket below the axle was designed to be compressed against the axle's tube, but now the entire load of the van is trying to pull that bracket away.

I don't know how well it's welded on, but in factory use the bracket could just be spot welded on and it wouldn't go anywhere because the U-bolts hold everything together. As modified that's not the case at all. The lower brackets must be very secure.

Bulldogneon lowered his rear suspension too but used longer U-bolts to wrap around axle tube. I personally would feel safer that way. Not saying this way won't hold up because I haven't seen the bracket up close, just saying stresses are very different and therefore should be done with caution.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Leaf spring below axle is common ,yes I have one here on an old car. The nuts are very long
with more thread. The u bolts wraps the axle.
Cold welds with minimal penetration and corrosion down the road is on my mind,including
the threads. Having 2500 pounds on the back and driving at highway speeds,then hit a pot
hole or something.
I do not want to burst the thread, and think this is an awesome to get the rear end down
to normal height. I like the Idea and the things members are doing here.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wasn't going to say anything about it but since you brought it up. Leaf springs below axles are common even in new vehicles, so with quality U-bolts that shouldn't be an issue. What does concern me more is that the bracket below the axle was designed to be compressed against the axle's tube, but now the entire load of the van is trying to pull that bracket away.

I don't know how well it's welded on, but in factory use the bracket could just be spot welded on and it wouldn't go anywhere because the U-bolts hold everything together. As modified that's not the case at all. The lower brackets must be very secure.

Bulldogneon lowered his rear suspension too but used longer U-bolts to wrap around axle tube. I personally would feel safer that way. Not saying this way won't hold up because I haven't seen the bracket up close, just saying stresses are very different and therefore should be done with caution.
Very smart thinking Chance. It is such any easy way to level out the PM, something I'm thinking about in the future myself, but you've brought up some very good points to consider on doing this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Load is pushing down on leafs. An upward un waiting is just going to be the weight of hardware. I don't haul heavy loads so not worried. I'm no engineer either :)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Load is pushing down on leafs. An upward un waiting is just going to be the weight of hardware. I don't haul heavy loads so not worried. I'm no engineer either :)

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had the rear lowered a different way ... I took mine to a shop that services truck leaf springs and had them take some of the arch out of the springs (they did this in a big hydraulic press). Lowered the rear approx 60mm (2.5 inch) and this way the springs are attached to the axle the same as standard.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts