Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any leads on a front mount receiver hitch? I know a couple guys made them for the Sprinter but have not found for the PM. I am looking to put my bike rack in the front so I can open the rear doors.

Thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Anyone have any leads on a front mount receiver hitch? I know a couple guys made them for the Sprinter but have not found for the PM. I am looking to put my bike rack in the front so I can open the rear doors.

Thanks!
Assuming you are talking about bicycles and not a motorcycle, there are many swing-away hitch mounted bicycle racks. There are also cargo trays that swing out of the way of van rear doors for much heavier loads, so design can handle greater weight if needed. I don't know if you can buy a swing-away arm separately to work with your existing rack, or if they will clear PM doors swinging 270 degrees or so. It's worth a Google search in my opinion.

If you have nice bikes I'd recommend thinking hard about placing them in front of any vehicle. Bugs and other debris can do a job on them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is it even possible to add a front receiver to the Promaster?
I would like one to attach a portable winch. No AWD, no 4x4, no locking differential. What do you do when you get stuck?

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
Assuming you are talking about bicycles and not a motorcycle, there are many swing-away hitch mounted bicycle racks. There are also cargo trays that swing out of the way of van rear doors for much heavier loads, so design can handle greater weight if needed. I don't know if you can buy a swing-away arm separately to work with your existing rack, or if they will clear PM doors swinging 270 degrees or so. It's worth a Google search in my opinion.

If you have nice bikes I'd recommend thinking hard about placing them in front of any vehicle. Bugs and other debris can do a job on them.
I agree! It's not difficult to make your own swing out bicycle rack anyhow. I'm going to make one up to fit in my receiver this winter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ouch, $700 for a bike rack mount seems steep. I would love a front mounted rack as well. I just bought this one for the rear
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8OK7X0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

and I can't open the rear doors with my serfas hitch mount bike rack :(

Great rack for the price but it does block the exhaust slightly and I'm concerned it might create increased back pressure on the exhaust system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info! All the swing out racks I have found don't work with the type of bikes I have. I need a tray style system. I don't love the idea of putting bikes in the front but have not found any other options that I really like either.

I have thought of putting them on the roof but don't know if I want to jump up there to get them. If any of you guys have any detailed info on adding a swing out hitch to use with my current it would be helpful!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Thanks for the info! All the swing out racks I have found don't work with the type of bikes I have. I need a tray style system. I don't love the idea of putting bikes in the front but have not found any other options that I really like either.

I have thought of putting them on the roof but don't know if I want to jump up there to get them. If any of you guys have any detailed info on adding a swing out hitch to use with my current it would be helpful!

Thanks
I'm not a bike rack guy but, check out the info on the new Winnebago Travato 59K. They show a rear door bike rack that looks like its attached to the right rear cargo door.

Ed

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm in the same boat as Moto-San, need a tray style rack for at least two mountain bikes. The one I bought curves up and prohibits opening rear doors even when bikes aren't on. A rack that mounts vertically on one door would be ideal, similar to the one on the Travato.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes Jean-Paul that rack is for the back of the vehicle. I have that rack and have used it on every trip.
[/url]hiyo warhol by Promaster Camper Build, on Flickr[/]

But there are some users who want to carry bikes up front, or even a spare tire. Thus the desire for a front hitch mount---even though it will void many implied warranties from RAM....don't know about Fiat in your world.

I've chosen a different route and am to add a Lavern Tuff Guard, ordered but currently backordered. This is a stock image, our van is silver. Once I get it installed our local welding shop can beef up the supports like they did on the rear of our van for the Stow Away Pod. Then if I choose to hang a tire on it I can but the primary use will be for additional lights.
[/url]In our future, currently backordered. by Promaster Camper Build, on Flickr[/img]

Either this new bumper by Vancompass or the grill guard are considered by many to be 'damage multipliers' in that they negate the in-built/purposefully designed crumple zones. Studies have shown however that they do help in low speed impact. High speed impact can transfer the damage throughout the chassis. Pick your poison :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you for all those informations. In my opinion it does not exist that kind of front support in Europe (especially in France where I come from and where I go often) because prohibited by the legislation, especially for security reasons that you bring.
Thank you.
On the other hand, I have on the back of my little RV there a very efficient bicycle rack that frees the space down by using a crank lift to mount the bikes. It can carry up to 4. Not suitable for vans like the Promaster ...

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have a front hitch drawn up. It replaces the bolt on bumper that sits under the plastic bumper cover. We will be making a prototype in a month or so.
Let me know price when available, I’m very interested if it’s reasonable, like near what I paid for the one on my suburban

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are multiple swing out options that will work with tray style racks with a receiver hitch. Check out the RakAttach. Kuat Pivot (which licensed the Rakattach design). And newly released Yakima Backswing. I was seriously considering the RakAttach and but saw the new Yakima rack and like the simplicity of operation (no pin). My one complaint is that any of these systems make the rack stick out more on the back of the van but the ease of accessing the back doors is worth the tradeoff in my opinion. I have a friend who made a front receiver hitch for his bikes on a Chevy Express. When driving at night the headlights are blocked by the bikes and it is annoying to drive since visibility is not as good and light is reflected back at the driver and passengers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts