Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nerd: < This is me constantly looking around the big pillars at intersections.

After a couple close calls with slow moving pedestrians in those blind spots I have a ritual now of moving my head around both sides before proceeding.

It doesn't help that pedestrians, cyclists and other texting Zombies simply do not care about the threat of a car anymore or getting mowed down.

In Portland - downtown around Pioneer Square or Portland State you must be on high Zombie alert. They'll be texting, looking down and suddenly just wander right into the street.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agreed. The pillars create a huge blind spot. I am also from Portland and I almost hit someone the other day. Wonder if it was the same person.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Reactions: Dane

·
Registered
654 Posts
Also in Portland, and almost hit people 2x with FIAT 500! My old VW has A Pillars that are 3 inches wide. The FIAT has what seems like 9 inch pillars...

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Don't hit 'em...... do you have any idea how much paperwork is involved if you do? Scary thought!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I know that no one would miss one of the PSU hipster zombies. But I do worry about some 'legit' (lol) old person moving very slow. Those pillars easily hide the profile of someone at a crosswalk.

I love the PM - nothing is perfect, but when I am around one of the Portland danger zones I am on high Zombie alert. I turn down the radio, crack the window - you know, so I can hear screams ....

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
The A-pillars on the PM are nothing compared to the monstrosities on my 2013 Chevy Volt. They are massive. And to make it worse, the Volt is an EV, so there's no engine noise for folks to hear. So far I've only had one person in a parking lot make a turn right in front of me, but its only been 2 weeks of driving it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My neighbor has one of those - will have to check it out. No kidding - no sound - not good. At least the pedestrian won't be as frightened before being pancaked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quietness was one of the selling points for me with the leaf. You can really sneak up on pedestrians:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 2009 Chev Silverado has the turn signal clicking noises coming out from the speakers. One day the clicking stopped but the signals still worked and the dealer had to reinstall the software just so I could hear the signals clicking. From that prospective, why not make these silent electric cars with speakers on the outside with gas motor noises to coincide with the accelerator pedal position? ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Collision avoidance is coming and then you won't be responsible if the pedestrian hits you, and I say it that way because the car is going to do remarkable things to make sure it does't hit them! Now not so much. Hit a pedestrian and you are at fault in every case I am aware of. A friend just got through the 2-1/2 years of law from a case where several witnesses said he could not have avoided the jaywalker who darted out from between two trucks and got bumped. She wasn't really hurt but in the end his insurance paid her $5,000+ just to end it I believe. He has a "hit a pedestrian" on his driving record and a 10% liable note. I know we all like to joke about it but really........ avoid at all cost!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some geniuses took the classic (convenient) wing window away and replaced it with blind spots. I miss wing windows! Most cars today are being made around USB ports and media mind control; Like who needs to be paying attention anyway?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts