Ram Promaster Forum banner

Front Lift Kit for Promaster full size

126K views 195 replies 49 participants last post by  ProjectDinky2020 
#1 ·
I am fabricating a lift kit spacer for the front suspension for Promaster. ~ lift would be 2-2.25 inches. (to level out the van and give more ground clearance) This would be easily installed above the coil in the front struts. Cost would be $500 for a set. Machined out of solid block. I wanted to do this instead of taking out a leaf spring to level the van out. More ground clearance is better than lowering, especially when you have tanks and such under the van.

I only found one company that does this out of Germany and those are almost $850 by the time you get it here in USA and I know I can fabricate one for less. Anyone interested? I am thinking of making a few extra sets. Would be done by end of May and fabricated and designed with help from my friend who builds super high end trophy trucks so you can be assured its done right.

Let me know if you are interested. When I have them installed I will post pictures and a how to at the same time.

#3 ·
Of course. Think that obvious. :)

Everyone is lowering the rear to level vans out but at the sacrifice of removing springs or flipping axle which reduces the travel and then you have to rig a bump stop or air bag to compensate. I have modified a lot of suspensions, lifted, lowered, bagged...to the extreme, there are always compromises in changing factory suspension. Lifting the front with a spacer reduces travel down with the suspension, but it's the most common way to level out a truck and usually for a mild lift works our great. It does often require alignment to be done by a "real" alignment shop that specializes in lifts, but its the cleanest way to level a truck...unfortunately no one makes a simple kit for the front because the market is just to small otherwise there would be one for likely $300 dollars. Hundreds of kits for all the trucks are available, it's a very common way to level out and gain a little more wheel well space, however won't change tire rubbing issues most of the time on + size tires.

The last Promaster I did was lifted using the kit from Europe with good results, but I figured I could easily do the same thing with a custom fabricated spacer here in US as I have done for other specialty vehicles that don't have coil kits.

Post is just to see if anyone is interested...if so send me a PM and I will keep you informed.

#5 ·
I like the wheels and tires. are those snow tires? And the brush guard on the nose looks good too. I think the lift would be great. I do want the lift but i cant commit right now. can you fabricate some solar panel holders that will attach to the rack nubbins? heh "nubbins"

#6 · (Edited)
That is exactly what I have been wanting to make, or an insert that the bottom of the strut fits into than slides back into the spindle. I think 2.75-3in would be best. I don't want to lower my van it's an adventure van after all. Then all it will need is some form of trailing arm in the rear for lots of clearance. I've already been stuck and had to dig out because of the stupid low rear beam. Dang it I can't fix my picture!!!

Attachments

#7 ·
While I can understand people wanting to level their van and even make it look higher, other than taller profile tires the rear axel is still going to have the same clearance no matter what.

Can anyone explain to us why they think this will give them more clearance?

#12 · (Edited)
I would be interested in lifting the front of mine up an inch or two, if the cost wasn't so much pr the installation wasn't so complicated that I couldn't do it in my driveway.
How hard you think the installation would be? And how much do you think the product will cost?
I have already removed the short leaf spring in the rear, but it still doesn't sit level. If the front end was jacked up about an inch and a half I think I would like that perfect

#13 ·
The spacer would be 400-$500 shipped likely maybe less. I will not know until I pull the struts and get everything measured. This won't happen until later this month if I move forward. I would post a how to. This would be similar end result to leveling a van but with the front. I am not a big fan of removing leaf springs to do this, I think re-arching is the proper solution if leveling through the rear. Putting in a spacer can be easily done in a driveway with normal tools and a rented spring compressor, however getting to the top of the strut in these vans might be not so easy as I took a look at it. I go back and forth if I should get the rear springs re-arched or the spacers. The advantage of spacers is that everything can go back to "stock" and you gain a little ground clearance in the front and very common to do on other vehicles. I am just getting general interest of anyone whom might be interested. I know the Spaccer from Europe is about $800 with shipping, so this would be a less expensive option and re-arching springs is $500-800 depending on the shop. ($700 here in San Diego by a reputable specialty spring shop) So this still would be the least expensive if labor is done by the owner.

#16 ·
I used blocks on my last PM, it works but you really have to use a lot of them to get it level and it's a pain in the butt sometimes when you just want to pull over and sleep. I could have "tilted" the bed so it's level or pull a rear spring, but I don't believe in doing anything a little shady on a nice build and really want to maintain the stock loading capacity. Nothing wrong with guys doing this. :) Just not the way I like to do things. A little lift will really help it out and if I put a slightly larger tire in the future it will look a little better. With a Baja Bumper Style guard in front and some rock guards/step on the side this will fit the look I am going for rather than more of an lowered RV cruiser. When I finish this build the van is going to look like no other.

I talked to my fabricator about the lift and he wants to approach it differently than a spring spacer...all I have to do is pull the strut so he can take measurements. I am excited to see if his idea will work as if its what I think it will turn out to be the install may not require pulling the strut out and you can raise or return van to stock height with minimal work. Have to see. I can pull the strut till later in the month when I can have the van sit for a while.

#20 ·
Those are nice, haven't seen them and easier to use than blocks for sure. Think i will change those out for the blocks I have. Thanks for the info. I still like the idea of lifting the van with some BFG's...that would be super cool. Can't tell me lifted a little in front isn't great looking...my older build below with front lift kit.

#21 ·
Those are nice, haven't seen them and easier to use than blocks for sure. Think i will change those out for the blocks I have. Thanks for the info. I still like the idea of lifting the van with some BFG's...that would be super cool. Can't tell me lifted a little in front isn't great looking...my older build below with front lift kit.
That's a sweet build! I'd love to do something similar. What size tires were you running?

#23 ·
Couple of notes: if you are only looking for an inch or two, why not bags? Seems ideal, cheap, adjustable. Just wondering.

Is there anything stopping you from blocking up the cradle points? The entire drivetrain - coils engine trans spindles wheels - is bolted to the bottom of the body. You'd be raising the body rather than raising the suspension. Just a thought.

#24 ·
I have bagged a lot of cars and trucks, not a good solution for this particular application to replace the springs, requires a lot of stuff. The van in pics I painted the hubcaps and wheels just with spray paint...you can also dip them but I would recommend using an enhancer, the result is much better or just use some spray paint. Just figured out how to get to the top of the struts, so maybe will work on this soon if my van doesn't sell first. A small lift however looks great, I really don't care for the dip in the nose nor do I want to slam the rear and lose capacity or sprung ground clearance. However of course lifting the van will effect the stability...but there are always compromises to changing suspension up or down.

Gotta admit the PM with a level kit looks great. This one pictured uses the expensive eurokit.

#25 ·
Figured out how to pull the strut so we can do the engineering work on the suspension. Will do a cool Baja inspired bumper guard/light bar at the same time for the front. Maybe even some step/rock guards for the side. There isn't any cool looking ones out in the market and I am hoping to offer one of those also for those who want to give their van some eye candy along with a lift for a more "adventure" van look like you see on some sprinters. Looks like I will be able to work on this mid June as the shop will have some space then to do some fabrication with my friend again.

#29 ·
My fabricator whom builds trophy trucks thinks a solution for lower part of strut can be done ...thereby in theory eliminating having to pull the strut out...or the 2nd easiest solution is spacer where the spring is...which is already done by the company in Europe but is a bit pricey and hassle to get. He builds million dollar racing trucks, full custom 30-36 inch + travel, so I am confident whatever we end up with it will be over built and work right. His work is just amazing on the suspensions I have seen him do. Goal is to have something easy to install and at a price that at least is lower than the only option available. There are not many of these in the market, so only a custom solution is the only option as there just isn't a big market to mod a Promaster so any of the suspension companies won't be doing anything for just a few units a year.

#32 ·
Hmmm....

So finally got around to looking at the lift issues. Ruled out the optimal option of a bottom strut lift block, so that leaves typical spring spacer that would require taking apart the strut (not ideal) or the tried and true method of making a spacer for top of the strut. (common) This however would require pulling the strut out, installing, and then getting it aligned. Not as easy as option Also when discussing with my fabricator there is a concern that lifting the van would not be ideal for stability, when the over all goal here is to just try to level out the van. Also his experience in building trophy trucks...lower is always better, more stable. Its crazy how low his race trucks are with over 30 inches of travel...if I only had unlimited amounts of money. Their is more than enough tire clearance in front for larger tires so lift isn't really needed for that. So we go back simple way to lower the rear while maintaining stock spring load. Thinking we can lower the rear with a redesigned shackle and get it down maybe an inch. Two inches levels the van so at least this would help if it avoid going to a spring shop. This would improve the ride a little and at least the rear would not sit so crazy high. I could re-arch the springs of course...but at least in So Cal...this isn't cheap and can't be done in your drive way. One inch lowering would help and maintain most of the travel. Still a work in progress. We would have to play with the rear shackles to see if we can squeeze an inch down, this at least would be an economical solution to drop it a little and since the higher height is no benefit for tire clearance for 245's. ( a little trimming and cuttting is likely needed regardless) I will keep posting as I figure out the end result.

We at least got a great front light bar mocked up, working on some nice nerf bars/steps, and if I figure out the rear and add some 245's...I think I can end up with the look I am going for. None of this is of course needed...its just to make the van look as good as possible to give the nice Sprinter's a run for their money in looks.

#35 ·
The bar is cool, hang a couple of interesting lights on it and perhaps tow hooks for use and effect and the Kool factor is way up there!
I am super excited about lowering the rear via shackles. Keep us informed. I am going the re-arch route at a truck spring place I have used back up in Vermont if you can't supply a drop. Expensive? I was thinking a couple of C notes? I haven't asked them that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.