Ram Promaster Forum banner
161 - 179 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking to level my future PM as well. Not concerned about ground clearance but just leveling it. Do you all have recommendations on rear spring options to lower the rear? Someone in this tread mentioned spring shackles. do you have more info on that please?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Just removing the second rear leaf levels the van, makes it ride much better, and lowers the carrying capacity. I like it! 2 hours of work, ZERO cost, AND you get to keep the springs you take out so that if you ever change your mind you have the parts!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was in SLC last week so dropped by the Off Highway Van shop to see their lifted Promasters. They had three under construction, all three lifted. The pictures don't do them justice. They looked like a totally different vehicle compared to a stock PM.

If I remember all the details correctly, the rear is raised about 2.5" by installing a fabricated piece between the solid axle and the spindle, rather than just using a spacer, which will give additional ground clearance under the axle, probably 3" or more depending on tire size. On the front I think they used a strut spacer and also lowered and tilted the trans to help lessen/correct the driveline angles. One had 3.5" lift on the front and one had 3.75".

I forgot to ask specifically but am under the impression that you would need to have all the work performed there as opposed to buying a kit.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was in SLC last week so dropped by the Off Highway Van shop to see their lifted Promasters. They had three under construction, all three lifted. The pictures don't do them justice. They looked like a totally different vehicle compared to a stock PM.

If I remember all the details correctly, the rear is raised about 2.5" by installing a fabricated piece between the solid axle and the spindle, rather than just using a spacer, which will give additional ground clearance under the axle, probably 3" or more depending on tire size. On the front I think they used a strut spacer and also lowered and tilted the trans to help lessen/correct the driveline angles. One had 3.5" lift on the front and one had 3.75".

I forgot to ask specifically but am under the impression that you would need to have all the work performed there as opposed to buying a kit.
Any pictures floating around?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Up thread are a couple and they also have an Instagram page.
. Thanks, I do follow them. They don’t really have any good pics of lifted PMs. I’m sure sooner or later somebody will actually have some good info about ride, clearance, etc along with some decent pictures. That lift with a modded rear axel is what I have planed. ( in my head anyway) lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
They said they were going to try to get some better pics up. The fabricated piece in the rear added about 1/4" to the track width but they said there wasn't any issue with rubbing due to the extra 1/4" width. With a 245-75-16 tire that would raise the rear axle about 3". Van Compass has Fox Shocks for the rear and is supposed to be developing them for the front as well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here is my before and after picture of my 40mm lift straight from the Russian Federation and I'm very pleased. It still sits a little higher in the rear but I assume will drop a hair after I build it out. The lifts are made of polyurethane, and with the characteristics of polyurethane, it seems the ride is even better since the material has a tiny bit of cushion to it. They make rubber, which wears faster, and metal, which says they have a harsh ride. The clearance is good and with a back axle modification, I believe this will be perfect. IMHO, a 3-4 inch lift seems a bit of overkill for a 2 wheel drive vehicle that's is already tall. With such a tall ride (3-4") you have mpg issues not to mention the overall ride and handling. Not sure if that's going to be good for the angle to transmission either. I asked Off Highway Van a question about there lift but they have not responded.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Here is my before and after picture of my 40mm lift straight from the Russian Federation and I'm very pleased. It still sits a little higher in the rear but I assume will drop a hair after I build it out. The lifts are made of polyurethane, and with the characteristics of polyurethane, it seems the ride is even better since the material has a tiny bit of cushion to it. They make rubber, which wears faster, and metal, which says they have a harsh ride. The clearance is good and with a back axle modification, I believe this will be perfect. IMHO, a 3-4 inch lift seems a bit of overkill for a 2 wheel drive vehicle that's is already tall. With such a tall ride (3-4") you have mpg issues not to mention the overall ride and handling. Not sure if that's going to be good for the angle to transmission either. I asked Off Highway Van a question about there lift but they have not responded.
Thanks for posting pictures! Man not much of a change, I think 40mm might not be enough. The short vans always look way higher in the rear compared to the ext 159 so maybe that is a factor. A set of 245/75 tires will really help the look. Thanks again

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures! Man not much of a change, I think 40mm might not be enough. The short vans always look way higher in the rear compared to the ext 159 so maybe that is a factor. A set of 245/75 tires will really help the look. Thanks again
Mine is not the ext. model, but I know what you mean about the short wb vans looking a bit more level. It's not a lot but it does help. Now the clearance is the same front and rear from the wheel-well to the ground. I think around 2 inches would probably be perfect, but then you start to change the angle of vital parts. Van Compass limits this to 1.5 inches for that reason. You are right about the tires. As soon as I can, I will be doing an upgrade to BFG 245/75/16s ATs with aftermarket wheels. Today, I install my new running boards, which helps the transition from a cargo van look to an adventure vehicle look. But it's the tires and wheels that will definitely set it apart from the parts runners.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The short vans look way higher in the rear than the long ones do in my eyes. Your van is looking awesome don’t forget some new pics after the tires and wheels.
I don’t think many people know but Method Wheels is now doing wheels that fit Promasters, 17” in two styles, 50mm offset.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Mack congratulations!
To my eye the difference is notable.
Agree on 'true' lift kits for this vehicle.
I would love to know more about the back axle mod though.
That is something I'm interested in. Not necessarily gaining height for the rear at all
but gaining clearance of the axle itself.
Is that something a welding shop could whip up? If so I have the guy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mack congratulations!
To my eye the difference is notable.
Agree on 'true' lift kits for this vehicle.
I would love to know more about the back axle mod though.
That is something I'm interested in. Not necessarily gaining height for the rear at all
but gaining clearance of the axle itself.
Is that something a welding shop could whip up? If so I have the guy.
Thank you medicineman! I'm very happy with the height, and the only thing left , for clearance, is the back axle. I've seen the mod. here and I'll try and find it and add the link. It is something a welding shop can do. Found it! Link below:

https://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=608201#post608201

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have enjoyed my back axle mod. I have 10,000 miles on my outfit since I cut the axle and have had no issues that I have noticed, and that has included hauling trailers with cars on them. I plan on modding dad’s van this next month.
Clearance wise, with the 245 tires, And a front lift, I have 10” all the way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have enjoyed my back axle mod. I have 10,000 miles on my outfit since I cut the axle and have had no issues that I have noticed, and that has included hauling trailers with cars on them. I plan on modding dad’s van this next month.
Clearance wise, with the 245 tires, And a front lift, I have 10” all the way through.

Thanks for chiming in atomicrider! This is a mod. I'm definitely interested in, and thanks for the 10,000 mile update.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just installed the Van Compass lift kit into a buddy’s Promaster this weekend. Great product! Lifted the front 1 1/2” and maintained the soft factory ride. I may change my spaccer kit out in the future when I need new struts to this style of lift.

161 - 179 of 196 Posts