Ram Promaster Forum banner
141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
BFG All K02 terrains I have found out to be the best "all around" tire. There is a reason all the desert guys down here in So Cal run them...even though they tend to be a bit more $, well worth the extra price. Longer wear, quality sidewalls, quiet ride. I have used almost every brand out there and found them superior for a AT tire.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Slamit thanks for the recommendation.

Campervan returned from 4x4 off road shop today, front end lifted.
Knowing what I know now (and thanks to who ever it was that started this thread) it would be the second thing I'd do if starting from scratch.
I was quite surprised at the increase clearance under the front of the van, and of course the 'leveling' is significant. How do I know the increase
in front clearance is significant? Because the shop was closed way before we could get there and I told them to 'hide' the keys on the shelf/shield of
the propane tank directly under and in the center of the van....a much much easier crawl to retrieve the keys from that spot now.

Also noted that if I want bigger tires that the OEMs I can now, that will become important on the BFG All Terrains.

Ride didn't not change on a 30 mile return trip home, at least nothing we could feel.

The shop who did the install also aligned the front end.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I have always had plenty of clearance in the front, the rear however you need to remove the small lower screws in the wheel fenders...those rub just a bit under load...removing them eliminates any buzzing of a + size tire. The rear is really where tire clearance is an issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Slamit thanks for the recommendation.

Campervan returned from 4x4 off road shop today, front end lifted.
Knowing what I know now (and thanks to who ever it was that started this thread) it would be the second thing I'd do if starting from scratch.
I was quite surprised at the increase clearance under the front of the van, and of course the 'leveling' is significant. How do I know the increase
in front clearance is significant? Because the shop was closed way before we could get there and I told them to 'hide' the keys on the shelf/shield of
the propane tank directly under and in the center of the van....a much much easier crawl to retrieve the keys from that spot now.

Also noted that if I want bigger tires that the OEMs I can now, that will become important on the BFG All Terrains.

Ride didn't not change on a 30 mile return trip home, at least nothing we could feel.

The shop who did the install also aligned the front end.

Thanks for posting. Glad to hear the outcome and ordering my spacers today.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes sir. Russian import. 4x4 shop said nothing about them good or bad.
Stand up people there. My original quote was 2-3 hours....took them way longer due to partial dash removal
but they stood by their original estimate.
I'd like to upgrade my tires with them now but they don't offer road hazard on the tires they sell :(
But I think I might go back there for the Laverne guard install and the off road lights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stand up people there. My original quote was 2-3 hours....took them way longer due to partial dash removal
I'd like to upgrade my tires with them now but they don't offer road hazard on the tires they sell :(
But I think I might go back there for the Laverne guard install and the off road lights.
I'm guessing the dash removal was to get access to the upper strut bolts to install spacers? I searched youtube and didn't find any promaster (or Ducato) leveling spacer installs.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well it is not a whole dash removal.
But yes they needed access to the top of the struts.
When I picked it up I asked if they'd do a Promaster again, me thinking it was a pain.
They said sure, it was no big deal.

I'm going back to them for the damage multiplier install, e.g. the Laverne grill guard.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I THINK you can buy tires about anywhere and then maybe buy the certs/road hazard from another place, but they might have changed the rules. Check tire rack, discount tire direct etc. Fyi- I'm running 245/75 falken wildpeak tires and they have been great. Ordered from discount tire direct (online) during a sale and you can purchase their road hazard if wanted.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts

Good to hear. I just ordered mine and will be delivered between 2-4 weeks. Going to have my neighbor install mine and can't wait to have a, close to, level vehicle. BFG AT 245/75/16 tires and rims to follow. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got some additional info on the lift kit made by Off Highway Van. The front is 3.5" and is a strut spacer. They also move the cradle down to help with control arm and axle angles. The rear is a spindle lift (2.5" ?) which increases the rear axle ground clearance. They're selling the kit for $1400. 10 hours to install, $2200 installed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just received my 40mm front strut spacer lift kit I purchased off ebay from the Russian Federation and they look pretty nice. Hopefully will have them installed by the end of next week. Will post before/after pics when finished.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just received my 40mm front strut spacer lift kit I purchased off ebay from the Russian Federation and they look pretty nice. Hopefully will have them installed by the end of next week. Will post before/after pics when finished.
Seems you got yours much quicker than I did.
Looking forward to you assessment.

You know how some things, if you do them over and over, you become accustomed and either forget
about it or just put up with it?
We just did a 4 day trip and I noticed yet another perquisite from the leveling blocks and it is the
sliding door. So many times in the past we'd push it all the way back until it clicks in place....if not
it would do like sliding doors are supposed to and slide! But since the back was 'uphill' the door always
slid :(

No more. If I'm on relatively flat ground the door slides to where I want it and stays there. I consider
this a fantastic reason to do this mod, other than a level bed, and in our case a bit more ground clearance
up front.

So good to see yours is happening Mack.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the lift, and I know what you mean about the sliding door. Looks like I will have to get the running boards sooner than later if only to help get in the cab. It only took 2 weeks for shipping. I'm about to ride my bike down to my neighbor's house and talk to him about the install. He also manages a tire store so I can go there for my alignment as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mack are you doing a camper conversion?
Running boards, waiting so late in the game to add them, was one of our biggest mistakes.
Doing a conversion from scratch first thing I would do is add the running boards.
I am doing a camper conversion, and I don't have the best knees, so it's a step or the running boards are in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion. Neighbor said no problem doing the lift, they have changed the struts on a few PMs. He suggest I could help him to save money, and I think I'm going to take him up on it. He's also going to be my source for my BFG tires.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Where are the pics of some PMs with the front spacers on top of the struts? I’d like to order those 40mm spacers from across the sea unless somebody has had issues with them. Anybody have a lifted van they would like to show some pictures of? Mine is lifted 1” but I’d like 3” in the front.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Where are the pics of some PMs with the front spacers on top of the struts? I’d like to order those 40mm spacers from across the sea unless somebody has had issues with them. Anybody have a lifted van they would like to show some pictures of? Mine is lifted 1” but I’d like 3” in the front.

My neighbor is suppose to install mine this evening, weather permitting. I already took my "before" picture, and will post it and the "after" picture when finished. I don't believe anyone has had any issues with them. My neighbor is also a manager of a tire store, and said they install them on trucks all the time and they have even replaced struts on a few PMs, so it should be an easy job.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts