Ram Promaster Forum banner
181 - 197 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone.

QUESTION RE PRUDENCE OF DOING MUCH DESIRED TOTAL LIFT (BOTH FRONT AND BACK LIFTS)

I am brand new and hopefully buying IN NEXT 6 MONTHS a2018 OR 2019, 2500 159 cargo RAM P for conversion.

I LOVE the height of the MB Sprinter 4x4 (the view, the ground clearance, etc., and have heard how certain vendors will "raise" the Promaster.

I would want at least a front and back 2 inch lift for many reasons...

BUT :(. I recently saw a youtube on the many (!) downsides of "lifting" vehicles which broke my heart as it appears my "lift fantasy" may be imprudent for many reasons !!!????

HELP :(. any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated ???

The youtube I am referring to is here. This Gent seems informed and knowledgable.

https://youtu.be/jAzl8k9S4k8

Appreciatively, "Newbie"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not to be critical but some points to consider, so please don't take me wrong.

My father (Mechanical Engineer, A&P FAA licensed aircraft mechanic, among other things) always warned about how aftermarket modifications made to vehicles could place stress on bearings, flexible joints, rubber enclosures designed to weather-protect flexible joints... I'm curious if lifting the front end of a ProMaster might place stress loads on the various joints associated with the front wheel drive components.

My dad always was critical of wheel spacers some people put on vehicles to make the wheels extend further out from where the design engineers placed wheels on vehicles. He said the spacers probably created tensions and wear on the wheel bearings that they were not designed for.

I have driven my 2017 2500 long & tall ProMaster on my ranch on some very lousy and rutted roads and never had a problem dragging anything on high centers on my gravel, dirt, grass roads, thus I'm happy with the clearance as my ProMaster came from the drawing board and the factory.

One other point to consider, if a "lifted" ProMaster ever had a warranty issue with a front end drive component, and was taken back to a dealership for repair/replacement for something associated with the front end drive, you might have a voided warranty.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,255 Posts
I have to agree with and your dad 100% but many others here think it’s a requirement for off or rough road traveling . I’ve driven in some pretty rough places myself and never felt a need for it.

Reactions: RnR

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would agree that a lift is not necessary for rough road driving. I’ve had the front of my van lifted for 2 years now and what I enjoy most about it is that the van is more level. For me, it makes every day driving more comfortable and it’s quicker to level the van for sleeping at night. The same thing could have been achieved by removing a leaf spring from each side, but that also has pros and cons, especially when I tow a trailer occasionally.
I do understand the risks involved with stress on parts (tried 2” spring spacer and destroyed the strut) and at this point I’m well outside the warranty window, so the repairs will be out of pocket anyways. The van has been a fun experiment for me and I’ve learned a lot about what it’s abilities and limitations are and what I can do to make it work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
...and add 5 digits to the price. The Mopar Portal axles for the Jeep are about $11,000 for the rear and $12,500 for the front. I would think that a FWD portal axle setup would be even more expensive.
Its actually the contrary - there is no need to do for the front. And the rear has no drive axle - simple machined block of steel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
See long time wasn't any post, but there are lots of good information's here..

I have 2012 dangel 4x4 ducato, converted to camper. Recently bought 30mm lift kit from here.. Haven't installed it yet..

I have an 15" original rim, where I want to fit 30/9,5/15 tires.. Have anyone try this before? They are a bit smaller than 245/75/16.. But rim width is 6", so I don't know if this will work.

Found one guy on IG @VivoEnRuta, said that he have a 255/70/16 on a 6,5" rim, so this tire is half inch wider and wheels are half inch wider..

If any of u got any experiences, it would be great..

Greetings from Slovenia.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,482 Posts
If any of u got any experiences, it would be great..
You should read through this thread.

Read this too

In short, unless you also upgrade to wider rims and ready to give up tires warranty, don't up-size the tires.
The main reason is irregular wear due to tire deformation on a narrow rim.

I recently switched back to stock size from 245/75r16. After 15K the tires were barely usable. They developed chess like pattern on the the side of the thread and the middle of the thread was was wearing significantly faster than the sides. I tried to play with the pressure but without any luck. At 30K, I could not stand the noise and vibration any longer and was forced to replace them. As expected warranty was voided for non standard size tires.

New Wildpeaks AT3W in stock size, surprisingly, provide superb ride quality comparable to stock tires. Bigger tires (Toyo AT3W) were noisy from day one and I assumed that's normal for all terrain tires, I was wrong...

A couple more things to consider are snow chains and debris/mud removal. You can't install chains on rear tires and due to low clearance, rocks and mud will get stuck between the tire and the body.

If 245/70R16 were available, I would consider those but it's unlikely since giving up warranty is costly...

·
Registered
38 Posts
@gagi'd hype
Our vans only come with 16" wheels, I don't think anyone has installed 15" wheels on a Promaster.
In europe the older generation (before 2014) Ducato platform lightweight(i.e. non Maxi) models had always 15" wheel rim fitted on 5x118pcd hubs. This is also the hub-size used by Dangel in the 4x4-Ducato. So the 15" wheels was predominant on most european Ducato. The formr pre-2014 facelift Ducato with heavy rating for commercial use and also as base for many motorhomes were equipped with 5x130pcd hubs and 16" wheels, they used larger wheel bearings more suited to heavier loads.
The situation has changed now since the year >yr.2014 facelift when the Ducato/Jumper/Boxer van platform light models became equipped with 16" rims with 5x118pcd as factory oem available wheels. This i believe is an easy natural go-to upgrade for anyone with an older Ducato having 15" wheels and who formerly had not an approved swap for 16" because the former factory 16" wheel were exclusively 5x130pcd hubs. I think even the latest Dangel 4x4 remains using 5x118pcd hubs as a legacy from their earlier gen models 4x4 axle design. (take note that the rear axle of the 4x4 must be equipped with drive hubs, which Dangel borrowed from the front hubs of earlier model Ducato, a fact born out of the use also of common with front CV drive joints matching those Hubs. i.e. Dangel did not design from scratch their own special new rear hubs, although they must customise their driveshafts.)

181 - 197 of 196 Posts