Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
That is exactly what I have been wanting to make, or an insert that the bottom of the strut fits into than slides back into the spindle. I think 2.75-3in would be best. I don't want to lower my van it's an adventure van after all. Then all it will need is some form of trailing arm in the rear for lots of clearance. I've already been stuck and had to dig out because of the stupid low rear beam. Dang it I can't fix my picture!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
To bad you dismissed lifting the front. Lowering the rear is easy if you just want to level the van. But if you want to put an all terain in a 245 size it would look silly in my opinion, and be very tight fit. Why not just leave the stock size tire if you are going to lower it? I have 245 mud terrain tires on mine and at the stock height they will clear but barely. They don't seem to rub, but body clearance at the corner of the wheel well is very tight in the rear. It's easy to trim the corners to gain the proper amount of clearance thats what I did, for mud build up etc. Lowering the van and then adding a big tire seems counter productive. Plus an off road promaster with cool bumpers tires lights etc will look way better than a lowered van. Just my opinion anyway. Looks extra in this pic because of the driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Win wish I could figure out how to attach multiple files on my iPad. Lol here is a pic of one side the trimmed sections, easy to do with a cut off wheel if anybody needed to know.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have had Hankook Dynapro 245 75 r16 on my 159 3500 for around 6 months and never had a rubbing issue until off-roading in Zion last week. One of the rears broke a small piece of plastic off of the wheel surround. I still don't think any of the body needs trimming. I am also fully loaded with complete conversion and all of our gear.

Before Zion I thought I needed a front lift. Now I don't think it's absolutely necessary.
I don't think a lift in the front is necessary for clearance, 245s fit without rubbing. But I just think it would make the van look so much better. I'd like to do new bilsteins with a three inch lift in front, that would be awesome. You need to pull the strut for that so putting a spacer in and aligning would be no problem. $500 for the spacers sounds fair to me.
As for the rear, all 245s aren't the same, mine are very beefy. The front outer corner of the wheel well And the rear outside corner needed to be trimmed to get more than a couple inches of space between the body and tire. But like I said it's easy I didn't even pull the wheel off just reached up there with my cut off wheel. Here is a pick of the front outside corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
That bus is awesome! To bad we can't figure out if any other Fiat or Dodge used the same strut. Maybe there is already a solution out there for a front lift.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've been thinking about doing a coil over in the front. I have not measured the strut tube diameter but you can buy generic coil over sleeves and collars for most strut diameters. Then figure out the stock spring rating and buy a small diameter spring in the desired length. Boom, adjustable coil over shock. Put a bilstein in it and it would probably be awesome.

A bmw setup I built just for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Like with most spacers it's cosmetic...not functional. You would change lower a arm and possibly upper A arm for travel. Strut spacers are used all the time to level a truck...and that's all they do. Can't compare a Promaster to a 4WD sprinter. (I own one of those also). Heck it's 50% less...if that is what you need then you gotta plow down the cash. :) No comparison for off road, and I would not expect them to be comparable nor do I think a Promaster is a great design for off road, but for snow driving they are fantastic.[/QU

That ridiculous, you have never seen a promaster front end I'm guessing. There is no upper A arm, it's a strut. Increasing travel does not need to be done with lower A arm modifications. A simple strut mod will increase travel. Of course adding spacers will increase travel but only in one direction. You will get more up travel but loose down travel.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well. Not to be negative, but... to me this mod is one of the biggest waste of money one could do. Different strokes for different folks for sure
Why do you think increasing the front ride height is a waste? I wish there was a better strut that is longer with a matching longer and better front spring to go with it. I'd like the front to be 2-3" higher to be level with the rear. I would also like a rear beam that has way more clearance. I've been stuck because of the low rear beam. Had to dig the thing out. I dont need 4x4 just better clearance.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You sorta answered your own question. Raising the front end only serves to level the van a bit not give you anymore clearance under the rear axel as you said. I have no interest in off-roading per say but I can see if you do you want/need the rear axel to be higher. I suppose bigger tires are the best (only) solution to raise the rear axel but to level the van I would go with the rear springs before doing anything to change the front suspension. If you have a 159 high you know how harsh the springs are and totally unsuited for a camper unless you are carting more weight than most. I added air shocks (another total waste of money) to level and get a softer ride but, in retrospect, I would have been way ahead of the game by just buying the softer window van springs and forgetting all about trying to level a 2" difference (max).

This is only my opinion for my use so if you have other uses or desires please don’t take it personally. What works for me may or may not work for anyone else.
I totally agree with you about front clearance being moot if the rear is factory height. But I have big all terain tires on my van and the front is 1" taller plus the increase in clearance with the big tires. I would rather have the front be level with the rear and that would be a 2" or so lift from stock in front. I'll get it figured out soon, plus a increase in rear travel with a modified beam. A better set of springs all around would be awesome. These vans ride like **** with the super stiff factory springs.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sure looks awesome with the front sitting up level. There has to be a better way to get the same effect, the front suspension on thes vans is not complicated. Thanks for posting your pictures.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can't wait to see the specifics of the kit they are about to release, I would be stoked with another 1.5 inches. In many ways lol but two inches would be better. The van compass guys sell some cool stuff for the other vans. And I love that hitch mounted hammock holder thingy they sell.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Since I wanted a 1" lift only I opted for a 1" steel spacer for the rear leaf spring along with a quick rubber spring lift for the front strut: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000932O6G

That, along with 245/75 tires gives me a better departure angle and raises that rear axle a touch because of the tires. I feel even at my current height the BIG limitation is the rear axle vs anything else on the van.

My current plan is to get that axle raised about 2" (there's another thread on here somewhere detailing this idea) by a 4x4 welding shop rather than raising the rest of the van any.
Can you share your front 1" quick lift with us?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts