Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
It was a PITA. I have a 2014, and the overhead lights are worthless for dome lights. I took ours apart shortly after purchase, and installed LED bulbs designed to fit in the same socket. It was difficult, annoying, and I did leave some small pry marks from disassembly, it's a tight fit. To wit: while my LEDs are better than the OEM bulbs, which are about like flicking your bic lighter, the LEDs didn't solve the problem, but were an improvement. They're OK for map lights, still lacking as dome lights.

It didn't take long before I designed a LED pair of adhesive backed strip lights intended for daytime driving lights, attached to the very rear of the headliner behind your head, using the OEM poke in retainers. I wired them to a separate switch from the second battery, fused them to a second fuse box I created for such. It's got a bitchin' dome light now. Almost too bright to kick on at night driving down the road if you're not ready for it, which is why I placed them deliberately behind the driver's head, not above, certainly not in front where the OEM set is. I'll try to find a pic and post it if you think it might help you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It didn't take long before I designed a LED pair of adhesive backed strip lights intended for daytime driving lights, attached to the very rear of the headliner behind your head, using the OEM poke in retainers. I wired them to a separate switch from the second battery, fused them to a second fuse box I created for such. It's got a bitchin' dome light now. Almost too bright to kick on at night driving down the road if you're not ready for it, which is why I placed them deliberately behind the driver's head, not above, certainly not in front where the OEM set is. I'll try to find a pic and post it if you think it might help you.
Nice design! I like the use of the retaining pins to secure the lights. I'd like to try something similar.

Do you still have a source for the strip lights?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Link below where I bought mine. Be advised, a friend bought some that looked identical but his were half as bright. He used them in the back of his locksmith van, over a key maker machine, and was disappointed with his being half as bright. I bought spares, in case of burn out, tested my spared, and they were the same brightness as my first pair. Suggest you watch that and order from the same supplier/mfg.

Also note, the actual unit is appx 7" x 5/8", not as large as the "box size" listed as the dimension in the description. The backing plates are scraps of 1/8" x 1" annodized aluminum bar I had from window projects.

Also note, the factory poke in retainers are very tight fitting, and fragile. Note in the pic, I broke one upon removal. Pull them when it's warm, or hot out, and be gentle, other wise you'll need replacements too. Fortunately, I have bins of them.

The tiny gauge wires are on the units are annoying too. I wired using 2A fuses and button crimp connectors you'd usually find for computer or phone lines, but those have solid wire, not braided, so they weren't with out some problems making the crimp connectors bite through the insulation.

I had to fight the same connector problem on all of the strip lights (flexible daytime running lights) I used on my shelving units, then protect those from power tool boxes in a HD loom on each shelf.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFIXELA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
108 Posts
BTW, for Hotwire, that posted his original question about the OEM Dome/Map light assembly, a link below to the LED bulbs I used that didn't really work out.

BE ADVISED, it took me three tries to find the right sized bulbs, front and back are different, so I DO NOT KNOW if these are the correct ones for the front assembly. Similar, yes, but not sure.

All I know is, they were insufficient in the front, and in the back, and I added much larger ones in the fully rear light after a modification to it, then tapped into the side rear dome light to power two KC Hi-Lights "ring" lights into the OEM rear dome light circuit, and shut off timer.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2YE4B4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts