Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have developed a rattle in the front right side. When going slow down rough road you can hear a rattle. Took in and shop checked stabilizer bar and brakes nothing? Out of warranty and will be taking back to dealer to check. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
887 Posts
When I took delivery of mine last week, salesman (ex mechanic) and I chatted about things seen on this forum and things as they stand now. He said there is tech bulletin on front swaybar bushing squeak. It was rust under bushing making the noise. Change fixes it. Was surprised he said front.

·
Registered
363 Posts
When I took delivery of mine last week, salesman (ex mechanic) and I chatted about things seen on this forum and things as they stand now. He said there is tech bulletin on front swaybar bushing squeak. It was rust under bushing making the noise. Change fixes it. Was surprised he said front.
Now i wonder how wide spread that is, if it's on all models or if it's limited to a production range.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My frontend noise is a solid sounding RATTLE, not a squeak, and on the driver's side. Sounds like a suspension issue, BUT it stops if I lightly apply the brakes. Three different dealers haven't been able to find the cause.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My frontend noise is a solid sounding RATTLE, not a squeak, and on the driver's side. Sounds like a suspension issue, BUT it stops if I lightly apply the brakes. Three different dealers haven't been able to find the cause.

Aha someone else with the same problem. Been to the dealer once with this they have not been able to find anything. Will go again and insist they look harder, something is definitely loose, I do not hear the same sound on the driver's side. Let's report back here 'til we get this thing solved.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Check the heat shield for the muffler this may be the rattle.Mine was rattling on cross winds.
Give it a slight bend and see if the rattle goes away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have the same problem on the drivers side, mostly hear it at low speeds going over bumps or dips in a parking lot. To me it sounds like a loose strut or bad strut. I had the tire and wheel of yesterday looking for something loose and had no luck..

·
Registered
259 Posts
My problem is definitely a suspension thing, always happens over potholes and bumps. It's almost a clattering sound if that makes sense. Mine is the passenger side but sounds like the same problem.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My problem is definitely a suspension thing, always happens over potholes and bumps. It's almost a clattering sound if that makes sense. Mine is the passenger side but sounds like the same problem.
I was CERTAIN it was suspension related - UNTIL I was on a washboard gravel road (rattle was loud and constant) and I lightly applied the brakes and the rattle stopped. Release the brake pressure, it instantly returns. Always the same - light application of the brakes, the rattle stops. Only discoverd this when I was on a looooong downhill washboard stretch here in Alaska.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Check the heat shield for the muffler this may be the rattle.Mine was rattling on cross winds.
Give it a slight bend and see if the rattle goes away.
For me it's NOT the heat shield rattle - I had that problem (solved by bending) this is a much more solid sounding rattle. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering how everyone made out with this. I have under 50,000 miles on my PM and need new struts. I had to wait over a month for the parts to come into dealer due to a nationwide shortage. That has made me think this is an ongoing issue with the 2014 PM. Is anyone dealing with this same issue?

·
Banned
413 Posts
My frontend noise is a solid sounding RATTLE, not a squeak, and on the driver's side. Sounds like a suspension issue
This. Mine is the same, most noticeable on washboard or rough roads. Would love to know what it is so that I could attend to it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I (nor anyone else I had look for the problem) could find anything wrong. BUT, after I installed new (LT245/70/16) tires the problem disappeared - makes no sense! Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How did everyone make out with this? I just hit 26k and have the same front end noise coming from the drivers side. Sounds like the strut and I can't find anything else loose either. I did remove the second rear leaf spring so not sure if that messed up the front struts or not. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,074 Posts
Could be the front struts and strut bearings. At almost 100k miles mine have stared to make noise and need to be replaced!

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 14 PM is at 22k miles now and no issues from the front end. On really cold days I'll hear squeaks from the side and rear doors as the body twists going over bumps in the road. Yeah, I know. I don't drive enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a 2015 PM 2500 159WB gasser with 30,000 miles on it. I have this "same" rattle noise from the front end, seems to be drivers side. It happens like everyone else says when coasting on a bumpy road no brakes on or not on the gas. Luckily I bought an extra 36,000 mile warranty for a good price. I wonder if it would be worth it to take it to a mechanic to diagnose the problem then to the dealer to have the warranty work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The noise I had ended up being the sway bar. Was still under warranty so it was repaired. No more noise.
(The radiator was leaking so they put one of those in too.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts