Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount a robust grill guard to my newly purchased, used, 2016 Ram ProMaster 2500, something that will protect the engine compartment and the windshield from a deer strike. There are lots of choices when I do an internet search on "grill guard for 2016 Ram ProMaster 2500". Does anyone have any strong recommendations either for or against a particular grill guard? There is a very good demonstration on You Tube of how to install a grill guard, but the guard used in the demonstration (Steelcraft Front Runner Guard) is not described in detail (dimensions of tubing, metal type of tubing, etc) and only costs about $310 plus $109 shipping, which seems to indicate guard contraction that is less than robust.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Does something like that even exist? Depending on the speed at the time of impact, I'm thinking you'd need something on the order of those found on semis. --Which I'm guessing weighs hundreds of pounds--and it will need to weigh that much to be effective, depending on the size of the deer.

I suspect the common grill guards would be effective only for going through brush (or maybe against small animals).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I believe I've seen a couple of guards on this forum and YouTube. One of them was/is available on Amazon.
But, while I am not collision expert, I believe @travelvanvan is correct, simple guard won't work for collision with deer. The front end of the frame of the van is just two hollow rails which will deform easily (probably totalling the vehicle) if the energy of the impact is not absorbed by the guard+bumper and I suspect the guards that are available are not engineered with that in mind. But I could be wrong .

P.S.
Personally, I am more concerned about impact by stuff flying from the cargo/living area of the van due to breaking or/and sudden deceleration.
Driving slow and extremely alert during hour before and after sunrise and hour before and after sunset is our best bet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Many guards that attach down low as they do on our vans become large "levers" in the event of a collision and then become damage multipliers. Anything striking them has a large amount of leverage to make it fold over damaging even more of the front end than had it not been there. As mentioned the fronts of our frame are tubes with corrugations that make them designed to collapse and absorb impact and often, to total the van doing so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe I've seen a couple of guards on this forum and YouTube. One of them was/is available on Amazon.
But, while I am not collision expert, I believe @travelvanvan is correct, simple guard won't work for collision with deer. The front end of the frame of the van is just two hollow rails which will deform easily (probably totalling the vehicle) if the energy of the impact is not absorbed by the guard+bumper and I suspect the guards that are available are not engineered with that in mind. But I could be wrong .

P.S.
Personally, I am more concerned about impact by stuff flying from the cargo/living area of the van due to breaking or/and sudden deceleration.
Driving slow and extremely alert during hour before and after sunrise and hour before and after sunset is our best bet.
A good point you raise and good driving advice as well. I've been considering an appropriate roll bar directly behind the front seats. Now you have me thinking about protection from the "flying stuff" in the back! One of the quickest and easiest methods of mitigation...slow it down! My van has never seen highway speeds above 65mph, even less on two laners. Beware of Texas, though. 65mph is "school zone" speed to them and you'll quickly feel like a target. Most of their paved roadways are 75mph with scant compliance. I'm sure there's plenty of other states in the same category, though. What's the hurry, America?

·
Registered
89 Posts
A good point you raise and good driving advice as well. I've been considering an appropriate roll bar directly behind the front seats. Now you have me thinking about protection from the "flying stuff" in the back! One of the quickest and easiest methods of mitigation...slow it down! My van has never seen highway speeds above 65mph, even less on two laners. Beware of Texas, though. 65mph is "school zone" speed to them and you'll quickly feel like a target. Most of their paved roadways are 75mph with scant compliance. I'm sure there's plenty of other states in the same category, though. What's the hurry, America?
My experimentation shows that 57Mph is the optimal cruising speed. And that makes sense since that speed corresponds to 90Kph which considered the "normal" road speed in Europe where the van was designed. I bet Fiat engineers used that speed in their aerodynamic simulations and 28Mph (45Kph) for crash simulations when they were working on the body, breaks and seats frame/base of the van.

If you expect collision, drive slower. Preferebly under 35Mph.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the illuminating comments and suggestions. Seems this will be a good forum. Since I returned to south-central Nebraska in 1991, I have had 3 deer strikes, all on secondary roads. So, for the 2000 Chevy 3500 van I have been using since 2006 until the ProMaster I had a retired, local welder friend of mine fabricate what I call a deer guard and mount it to the frame of the Chevy van. The deer guard was built to take a deer hit and my initial plan was to transfer it from the Chevy to the ProMaster. That plan fell apart due to a combination of the ProMaster not having suitable mounting points in the front and my welder friend having medical problems with his back. I have settled on a kit that comes closest to the construction of the existing deer guard. Kit ID: Luverne 205530-205910 - Tuff Guard Black Bumper Guard. $808.92 plus $175 shipping. Through carid.com. Will post results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts