Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I'm picking my 3500 Extended Promaster up tomorrow or Tuesday to replace our 2008 Sprinter. I will be spending the next 4-6 weeks up-fitting it for our business. So far I've seen lots of good ideas here and look forward to particpating.

Thanks,

Walt

·
Registered
131 Posts
How do you like the Promaster as opposed to the Sprinter?

I have a buddy wanting to buy a Promaster but really wants a diesel. Does anyone know why just about all US Promasters are Pentastar Gas engines? I can't find one diesel.

His company puts 50k+ miles on their old Sprinter every year so he is more interested in the longevity of a diesel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How do you like the Promaster as opposed to the Sprinter?

I have a buddy wanting to buy a Promaster but really wants a diesel. Does anyone know why just about all US Promasters are Pentastar Gas engines? I can't find one diesel.

His company puts 50k+ miles on their old Sprinter every year so he is more interested in the longevity of a diesel.
In the US expediters are using the gas promasters because of purchase cost and lower maintenance costs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Before Promasters, many expediters hated higher gasoline mileage costs but enjoyed paying out less for eventual V-8/V-10 engine swap-outs rather than deal with extreme Sprinter repair costs, it's still unknown if FCA 4-clyinder diesels will eat tens of thousands of dollars for a high-mileage swap out... So in the same spirit a FCA FWD V-6 could probably be considered a disposable wear item when the bottom end loosens up just from the large numbers of them entering the salvage supply chain ..

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
When gasoline and diesel return to near $4 a gallon there will be renewed interest in the diesel which will get you 1-1/2 times the miles per gallon. 17 vs 26. This is not a good time for diesels as both the emissions and the cheap fuel are working against them. However I love the way mine works, and the economy so I am one of the lucky ones who got one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts