Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another few hours and we are there!

Left Avon, Outer Banks, North Carolina last Sunday at 10, should hit Hood River tonight (Wednesday), around midnight. That's a 4800 km (2983 miles) drive.

The Promaster didn't do as good as usual, 13.3L/100 km (17.7 mpg) , usually, it's around 12.9L/100 km (19.6 mpg) . I would blame it on the weather, it was pretty much nasty all the way, lot's of rain and wind. At least all the salt accumulated in 6 weeks in Cape Hatteras is washed away.

It's amazing that one day the temperature is above 90F in West Virginia and two days later, it's snowing in Wyoming.

Weather wise, the worst part was at the Iowa/Nebraska/Missouri border, where secondary roads were closed because of heavy rain and flooding of Missouri River.

My wife did most of the driving, she loves driving the PM and since I have a sore back, I didn't mind not driving. Spend most of the time enjoying the view and loosing time on Internet. AT&T has a good wifi coverage all across America. Too bad that the coverage is not that good in Hood River, where we'll spend most of the next 3 months.

No issues with the Promaster, it's not a Canadian, but it still likes to drive "From Coast to Coast" :)

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Interesting that your trip is almost exactly the same kilometers (miles) as my semiannual jaunt between the heart of the Sonoran Desert and the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. 4800+- km (2950+- miles) Last trip I did it with $320 of Diesel and averaged 8.68L/100km (27.1 mpg). Verizon is also great if you don’t get far off the interstate. Unfortunately we do.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy....how was spring fishing? Any spot yet?

Hi baitbegger44,

I know there are a lot of fisherman in OBX, but we go there for windsurfing. The house we usually rent in Buxton was not available this year, so I didn't get my usual fishing report from the neighbor next door.

April was warmer than usual and we got very few northeasterly winds, mostly got southwesterlies. From beginning of April, we got 33 days (on 43) of 20 mph+ winds, but I don't know if it's good or not for fishing.

Keeponvaning, my wife and I, we love winter, so much to do! Alpine and cross-country skiing, snow kiting...We just moved neat Mont Saint-Anne in the Quebec City area, we love it there. Problem with spring and summer is that it's not that windy, so that's why we go to Cape Hatteras and then, Columbia River Gorge.

The only thing I don't like about our new home is the RAM dealership. The one we had in Montreal were very friendly and honest (Boulevard Dodge Chrysler). The new one (JD Dodge Chrysler) looks like it is part of the stealership network. ;) Will tell my story one day.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bay side pretty good for windsurfing....you must be a younger.....fishing usually good wind or no wind.....when it gets cold the fish migrate so watch your temps....wind does have effect on casting.....i fish the piers.....red drum like rough water /// they also migrate .....usually in schools....fall best

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bay side pretty good for windsurfing....you must be a younger.....fishing usually good wind or no wind.....when it gets cold the fish migrate so watch your temps....wind does have effect on casting.....i fish the piers.....red drum like rough water /// they also migrate .....usually in schools....fall best

Not that young, 65. :)

Fall maybe best for fishing in OBX, but it seams that it's more likely to get caught in an hurricane, no?

Here's a little van story just for you ;)

A guy I know had a Sprinter for 2 years, but he had so much trouble with it, he decided to trade it for a Ford Transit, brand new.

Two months later, something really bad happened to his Transit, coolant liquid inside the motor or something like that. Ford fixed the motor, but my friend was not happy, he felt that Ford should have changed the whole motor. Maybe it was his imagination, but he felt that the fixed motor was not running as smoothly as it should.

So, he is in OBX in the fall, camping at Frisco Wood, very close to the Pamlico Sound. A hurricane warning is in effect, so he calls his insurance company to see if his Transit is insured for a natural disaster, flooding per example. "Totally, sir". He calls again to talk to another agent. He gets another confirmation.

Two days after, the hurricane shows up, the Frisco campground gets totally flooded and the Transit,very close to the Sound, is a total waste.

He got a brand new one from the insurance company. ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hurricanes have littered the history of outer banks even more so than world wars, even though there are rumours of German sleepers still. 8 & bait is the goto rig.....that is 8 ounces lead and a spot head. One drum fisherman showed me his hurricane rig.....instead of 8 ounces he uses 16 ounces of lead.....it was not shinny.....hardcore.....me, I want to fish before the weather and be way gone before it hits.....hurrican party from 300 miles inland with some elevation with no steams around.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The South end of Hattarus Island gets reshaped with hurricanes.....most of the flooding comes from the sound side with combination of tide and circulation of heavy winds. Not unusual to have 5 foot of water on u.s. 12 during a bit of weather.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I drive 2,891 miles from Jacksonville FL to Hood River every year and average about 23 mpg just about every time with my 2500 high-top diesel. You're almost always facing a headwind on that drive and lots of 75-85 mph stretches. Lots of elevation gain and loss from Wyoming onward and also in Tennessee for my route.

It's often difficult to find diesel without a higher percentage of biodiesel in those corn states, which may also reduce some fuel economy.

May not have been any better GuyT, but I probably would have taken the route through Kansas to avoid that long stretch along the Missouri River with the known issues.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May not have been any better GuyT, but I probably would have taken the route through Kansas to avoid that long stretch along the Missouri River with the known issues.

Good advice, celilo, we will try that route next year. I'll look for you on windsurfing sites, there aren't too many diesel PMs around.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Promaster.....the choice of windsurfers and kite surfers everywhere. :D:D

There are 4 Promasters at our little park (Kelly Park) in Florida.

When my wife turns 65 next year, we’ll be free to try that drive to Hood River too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well I have watched those kite surfers from rodthane pier and they are in the air from a crest of wave for 50 + feet....not just once but continuously.....i am not limber enough now and probably never was.....ocean side different from bay side....i will stay a spectator....hats off to yall

·
Registered
156 Posts
Promaster.....the choice of windsurfers and kite surfers everywhere. :D:D...When my wife turns 65 next year, we’ll be free to try that drive to Hood River too.
There are several routes when you are traveling from FL, some longer than others, but lots of good stuff along the way.

And yes, my Promaster's primary purpose is hauling my gear. Unfortunately, my sister keeps asking me to move furniture:(

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow! I have to get together with you guys! We just spent 4 months kiting down in La Ventana/El Sargento. We live in Boise so the gorge is an easy haul compared to what you have to do. We'll probably kite here in Boise some in June then head over to 3 Mile Canyon, Roosevelt, Arlington, Lyle, Stevenson, The Event Site, etc for a week or so during June. Then back to Boise until July. Then, back to the gorge for a bit (month or so) then up to Nitinat and BC for awhile.

What I'm saying is I would like to meet up with u guys. Anyone interested? We're former SF bay area windsurfers back in the 90s turned kiters now. We normally boondock around HR, Lyle, Mt Hood. Let me know!

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! I have to get together with you guys! We just spent 4 months kiting down in La Ventana/El Sargento. We live in Boise so the gorge is an easy haul compared to what you have to do. We'll probably kite here in Boise some in June then head over to 3 Mile Canyon, Roosevelt, Arlington, Lyle, Stevenson, The Event Site, etc for a week or so during June. Then back to Boise until July. Then, back to the gorge for a bit (month or so) then up to Nitinat and BC for awhile.

What I'm saying is I would like to meet up with u guys. Anyone interested? We're former SF bay area windsurfers back in the 90s turned kiters now. We normally boondock around HR, Lyle, Mt Hood. Let me know!

We try to sail as much as we can in Roosevelt (my favorite spot)m, but we do most of our sailing at The Hatchery, Rowena and the occasional Wall. We also sail the Easterlies at Stevenson. My wife and I have been sailing in The Gorge for 20 years, we try to be friendly ;), so I guess a lot of people know us by now.

For the month of June, we are house-sitting for friends, but for July and August, we camp most of the time in Viento (South side).

Let me know with a personal message when you are in this wonderful area, we'll try to get together.

Cheers!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sure. As GuyT indicated, send a personal message. I expect to be in town around July 5th.

I mostly sail at Doug's, Celilo and the Hatchery, with a very occasional Roosevelt or Three Mile. I lived in the NW for 21 years, mostly along the Klickitat and in White Salmon.

I probably should be a kiter so that I can get some time on the water here in N FL. I avoided kiting in the early days due to the number of friend-of-friend severely injured or killed, though the sport is much safer with modern equipment! I recall watching Cory Roeseler on water skis while his dad would hand launch his kite from a jet ski.

·
Registered
212 Posts
OK! When we get on the road I'll shoot you guys a PM. It would be fun to meet and have a beer! And check out our rigs for sure. My wife and I gave up windsurfing in 1994 when we moved to Boise. Whitewater kayaking took its place (among other things). But now after retirement, we're chasing the wind again. Started kiting in late 2017 after taking lessons in Lyle. Gotta love that big sand bar with no crowds for a beginner! This season we'll be branching out. And yes, lots of time at Turkey Hole on the Klickitat!

I've heard some good stories on the early days of kiting. Tying the kite to the steering wheel to help launch was a funny one. Still remember sitting in a bar after sailing Berkeley and talking about the latest cover of Windsusrf? magazine. I think it showed the Pritchard brothers? on kites. We all wondered how the **** you would go upwind!!

I think if I still lived in NW Fl, I would foil. It's amazing how much wind you don't need to go fast!

There was talk of making a kite launch at Viento. Did that happen?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
celilo
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing