Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd throw this out there, as I was thinking about it and didn't see anything in search. Looking at the Norcold NR751, which is 2.7 cubic feet. Is that enough fridge? I think my other option is something like the Norcold 0788 at ~3.1, which doesn't seem like that much more.

The 2.7 will allow me to mount the sink above it, which will free up room in the kitchen cabinet, above the door for a drawer. Or I could put in a full height door and just do an interior drawer.

If I were to mount the taller 3.1, I'd have to put the sink above the cabinet door, so no drawer.

What would you choose?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,551 Posts
What is plenty enough for one it's not enough for another. It all depends on what you eat, how long you want to go between shopping, and how well the layout of the interior fits your goods. I can carry enough in my 1.3 ft.³ chest fridge for two people for about four days.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Our portable top-access frig - - which occupied half the backseat in last year's CaRV (VW Jetta) camper - - has a capacity similar to MsNomer's . . . 1.44 cubic feet. No freezer. Adequate, but not extravagant.

With the Promaster, we're going with the Nova Kool R4500 - - and its spacious 4.3 cubic feet capacity. We're looking forward to this volume, but based on our experiences with the lesser 1.44 unit, we'd guess your proposed 2.7 cubic feet will be sufficient.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When we were trying to figure out how big a fridge to get, we took everything we thought we would bring with us to estimate the size. At first pass we needed about 2 cu.ft. We ended up getting the TruckFridge TF65 which has 2.3 cu.ft. and it was stuffed on our 5 day journey to Florida. It does have a small freezer which we like.

http://truckfridge.com/tf65acdc.html

One of the things we will really look at on our next trip is what things really need to be refrigerated. Jams and pickles were made that way so you did not need to refrigerate them. And mustard does not contain anything that should spoil if it were at room temp.

I would go for the 2.7 and have the space for the drawer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks. This is more of a long weekend warrior/week at a time sort of van vs "live in it full time", so I also think a 2.7 will be enough. It's mostly going to contain beer, greek yogurt, almond milk, cheese sticks, and frozen burritos ;) Just wanted to make sure people didn't say "YORE CRAZY, THAT'S TOO SMALL".

The "new" plan is to put in the 2.7 cubic foot fridge in, and put the drawer above it. Then do a full height cabinet door and locate the sink there. That way, worst worst case, I can upgrade the fridge to the taller one, cut out the drawer and still be good to go.

This way, the sink drain into the 5 gallong "grey" tank will be much easier, as it's straight down.

Thanks for the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts