Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked for articles about this and don't seem to find an answer.

I used my Engel chest fridge/freezer (Sawafuji Swing Motor) for our 3 week trip to FL in May - it was on continuously. A few times since then too.

Question is: Is it better to leave the fridge on all the time, even when it's not needed?
Or, is it better to just start it up when needed to keep stuff cool?

Not a question of battery use. When not in use, I often plug my van in to shore power and the fridge would switch over to 120VAC.

Wondering about the wear and tear for always on vs. sometimes on, as needed.

What about winter? Should a fridge be used in a van that will often go below freezing or is it best to take it out for the winter? If you take it out, do you plug it in and keep it running off 120VAC in the house?

As always, your thoughts are appreciated! :)

ed

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,488 Posts
Turn it off, but turn it on for a day once a month just to keep the oils in place. They do generate heat, something you don't want in a van in the summer. Leave the lid/door ajar to dry out and prevent mold. Or use some Silica Gel Desiccant it's reusable.
https://www.amazon.com/Quart-Replac...71037610&sr=8-7&keywords=silica+Gel+Desiccant
Don't use Damp-rid in a moving vehicle, it is made of sodium chloride very bad for metal.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
In AZ about 1/2 the snowbirds leave the frig. on all summer and 1/2 turn them off. I am a turn it off guy. In 15 years there is no difference in refrigerator survival except the two where the pack rats chewed the wires off the back...... (really!) and both were running until the wires were gone! They were outside by the way! Don’t ask why. Whatever makes you feel good, the refrigerator doesn’t care.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even in the winter if my van goes below freezing inside? Seems like that might cause an issue, no?

My plan was to take it inside once the temps go down. At the Engel site, they said many people bring' em inside to use as an extra bar fridge in the winter!

ed

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Sure, why not, could be a bar freezer too couldn’t it? When we were off-grid we used an old dead chest freezer just outside to be a refrigerator (occasionally a freezer on those -30º nights), if a refrigerator is in a temperature that is below its set temperature it won’t run anyway. I’d shut it off and leave it in the van.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts