Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Norcold fridge in my promaster for about 2 years now, and have had it replaced and fixed twice under warranty. Again, it is not working properly. Looking to replace it as I know I'm not the only one who has had problems with it. Any experience with the Truck Fridge vs Engle vs any other options out there? I like the size and capacity of the Norcold but am flexible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had an Isotherm cruise 65 for two years in my old van. Completely​ trouble free. Weird ice cube tray though. ? Looks exactly the same as a truckfridge TF65..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
interesting about the truckfridge vs isotherm. Isotherm is WAY more expensive so I didn't think they were the same. Isotherm looks really nice though.

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Actually I have had a Norcold NR751 for almost two years and it has been great. I guess recommending it based on my happiness with mine is not going to convince you.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Actually I have had a Norcold NR751 for almost two years and it has been great. I guess recommending it based on my happiness with mine is not going to convince you.
My Norcold 751 has been fine also -- got it in 2014 -- its never missed a beat.

Gary

·
Registered
155 Posts
Novakool R3800 owner here - no complaints at all. I had a few questions in the beginning and service was very responsive. I added my own stainless front (super easy to install) and put the cooling fan on a switch so I can keep it off unless the weather is really hot.

No surprises on power usage either - through the winter, we have seen around 20-25 amps used per day at 12V. The van stays at ~72 deg F unless we are sleeping, then it drops to ~55 deg F. The power meter reads -2.2A or -2.3A once the fridge compressor is running (sits at around -4A for the first couple of minutes that the compressor kicks on).

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've had my cheap student dorm fridge for ten years now. A year in my van. Some years in my shop before that storing MREs and then for two years before that with my daughter when she was in college.

I have a 500 watt pure sine inverter from Renogy running off a couple big deep cycle batteries.

I stay away from fancy appliances as every time we have bought one, it failed early on. Usually just out of warranty.

This thing may not be high efficiency. But it works well. With the solar, it is a perpetual motion machine! Batteries carry it at night just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We own a Novakool R5810 (5.8 cu.ft). No complains!
It draws a bit more than a smaller unit: 4.0 amps when running. The duty cycle is around 30-40% in summer, down to 5-10% in winter.

We liked the fact that it's build here in Canada and the dimensions were perfect for us:
http://www.novakool.com/products/single_doors/rf5810.htm

Cheers,
antoine

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hi All,

So far our Indel B has been perfect. We bought the Travel Box 51L Fridge or Freezer for around $600.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Walmart dorm fridge (Haier) has run flawlessly for 2 years over some very rough roads and 24,000 miles. I love the separate external door for the large freezer. Because my inverter (Cotek pure sinewave 1800 watt) is now on 24/7 for the fridge I have been freed from the curse of having to buy 12 volt appliances. 110 volt appliances are so much cheaper and more reliable; just look at the fantastic performance and price difference of a 110 volt air pump vs a 12 volt air pump! The money saved over buying a less reliable 12 volt fridge will pay for the extra batteries you will need and maybe some solar panels. I know this is a minority opinion but I am sticking with it!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts