Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a lightly used PM with a really nice build. It has a fridge, but I'm panning to replace it. The cabinetry is already built, but there's space for a very narrow fridge. I'm looking for a small fridge 14 inches wide, 20 inches deep and under 30 inches tall max. I haven't seen anything online smaller than 15 inches wide. I know these aren't common dimensions, but anyone here come across something in this size? I've seen wine chillers in this size, but they don't get cold enough for storing meats and dairy.

I'm also looking at stoves, but considering a 12v single burner induction burner. Has anyone used such a burner in their RV builds, and what type of battery consumption would I be looking at?

Thanks,
- Ian

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
424 Posts
You are not going to find a burner in 12V - your typical burner is 600W - 1200W, that is 50 - 100 A @ 12V. If you want something battery powered, you are looking at some form of combustion burner - propane, butane, white gas, or diesel.

As for a fridge - do you just want a refrigerator, or do you want a freezer as well? It sounds like an Igloo, Koolatron or Coleman thermoelectric cooler would be what you need.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
thermoelectric coolers are rubbish! Don't even consider wasting your money on any of them ;)

Reactions: PMF

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
Check Engel chest fridges--you could mount it in a pull-out drawer. My Engel MT45 chest fridge is 14.3 x 25.5 x 20 in, but there are smaller ones. You won't find a more efficient or better-made unit and the chest configuration allows you to store much more per unit volume.

Induction will require a pure sine inverter, but they are not power hungry.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
The butane stoves are built to be use inside with safety features to make reasonable use safe and convenient. See: https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corp...8&qid=1481295816&sr=8-2&keywords=butane+stove I wouldn’t consider anything else after buying and using one for 1-1/2 years in my camper. Fuel is very cheap in club stores or asian markets. Induction cooktops need an inverter and a bigger battery, expensive and unnecessary. The refrigerator is available in near that size here: http://www.my12voltstore.com/Norcold_NR740BB_1_7_Cubic_Feet_AC_DC_Marine_p/nr740bb.htm
The solid state “chiller” refrigerators are not very efficient or cold which is why KOV and other will advise against them.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,702 Posts
Check Engel chest fridges--you could mount it in a pull-out drawer. My Engel MT45 chest fridge is 14.3 x 25.5 x 20 in, but there are smaller ones. You won't find a more efficient or better-made unit and the chest configuration allows you to store much more per unit volume.

I agree with MsNomer's thoughts on the Engel... and with RD's thoughts on the butane stove too!

I was walking thru BJs today and saw a NuWave Induction Cooktop. It appears this is a new model. Goes up to 1500W, but the box was touting a "new feature." This model now has Wattage control, with settings for 600W, 900W, and 1500W. They actually suggest the 600W mode for RVs right on the box, so it must be true! My microwave uses 1000W and is happy running from my (2) 100Ah batteries with a HF inverter, so this should work well. Even better when I'm plugged in!

Came with a free pan for $54.99... what a deal!

Ed

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
I bought one a few weeks ago and returned it. Variable power, yes, but would not recognize the modified sine power. I'm not ready to spend the bucks for PSW.

As I write, I'm testing my almost-50-year-old waffle iron. At 650W, it just made me a tasty grilled cheese using about 3.5-4 Ah and would be compact to store. I discovered the hard way that you don't want to try to cook an egg in it.

I got the idea because at a thrift store I picked up a 600W Hamilton Beach "breakfast sandwich maker," an obvious "stupid Christmas gadget destined for the thrift store." However, in playing around with it, I discovered that it really does cook a decent sandwich complete with egg and with a bit of imagination might cook other stuff.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,702 Posts
I bought one a few weeks ago and returned it. Variable power, yes, but would not recognize the modified sine power. I'm not ready to spend the bucks for PSW.
Ms,

Which model inverter do you have? I had the HF 1000W and my microwave didn't like it at all. I returned it and upgraded to the HF 2000W and (even tho the microwave only needs 1000W) it seem much happier with the bigger inverter.

I'll probably give it a try before I return it.... looked like a good unit, if it works!

Thanks for the info,
Ed

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
I have a Raptor 1500W. MW is fine with it and pretty quiet. HF inverter was annoyingly loud. The cooktop I tried was Duxtop from Amazon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are not going to find a burner in 12V - your typical burner is 600W - 1200W, that is 50 - 100 A @ 12V. If you want something battery powered, you are looking at some form of combustion burner - propane, butane, white gas, or diesel.

As for a fridge - do you just want a refrigerator, or do you want a freezer as well? It sounds like an Igloo, Koolatron or Coleman thermoelectric cooler would be what you need.
That's what I figured regarding an induction burner. I'm toying with the idea of mounting a propane tank underneath the van and run gas lines inside. I'm relocating the battery under the van as well and there some more than enough space to house a 5g propane tank safely. I've got a 100 and 150w solar panel, but neither could adequately power that much juice.

I'm looking at a fridge only, no freezer. Something to keep fruit, veggies, meets and dairy cold. The dimensions of the Koolatron would work. I currently have a large, boxy fridge taking up floor space, which is why I want to install something inside the existing cabinet area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Those Engel fridges look perfect, and draw so little power I could run them all day without worrying about draining the battery.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Good observations. I have 200Watts of solar and 200+AH of FLA Golf cart Batteries. I think I am running everything you are talking about and I use only about 1/3 of the battery capacity overnight with 3cu ft refer w/freezer, lights, fan, Espar heater, 14 volt video, inverter if I need it etc. In the sun it takes only about 3 hrs to recharge them to full. A microwave or induction top may draw a lot of current but it is used for a short time so the POWER used (watts, etc) is not really an issue. To run those requires about 200 AH of battery and a big inverter to supply the current even if it is for a short time. I’d dispense with the time and cost of installing propane if you are willing to go butane stove and a fuel heater (Wabasto or Espar). I hate to have to get under my van for anything so I am predigest against batteries or tanks down there.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,702 Posts
Those Engel fridges look perfect, and draw so little power I could run them all day without worrying about draining the battery.
With 2 batteries, I can run mine as a fridge for about 2 weeks. Most thermoelectric coolers won't keep food cool enough in a 90 degree van AND use more electricity than the Engel!

A twist of the knob and the Engel becomes a freezer if you need it for ice cream. Tonite we have a party at our house... I'll make it a freezer to store our extra bags of ice.

For cooking, the butane stove will be in the van whether I keep the induction unit or not! Aside from wind issues, it works very well, weighs nothing, and takes up little space.

Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts