Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many parts of the country have it worse than we do. But that said, I haven't seen cold like this since I was stationed at Great Lakes in the 70's!

Visited the in laws in the mountains in northern Va. this weekend. Saw single digit temps in the mornings. Even took a photo of the thermometer at one point when it got down to 2 degrees! Had no issues with the van at all! It fired up easily. The three year old battery proved its worth. The parking brake released just fine. Ran and drove just as fine as normal!
I was quite tickled as I know from my past experience that weird stuff happens at really low temps. Its like the laws of physics get changed somehow! We lost a bit of gas mileage. No problem there. Otherwise, you'd think the van was driving on a warm day in the park. The heater kept the cab and box pretty comfy. I didn't wear a jacket. All the doors and hatches worked fine. Just very pleased at how well this van does its job! Had it two and a half years now and no regrets!

Anyone else think to lube the locks and door rollers before the freeze came in? I did mine over a week ago. Silicone lube is good stuff.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,449 Posts
Rich,

Could you put your van info in your signature line, I can't remember what you drive.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. I'll go change that. Its a 2014 HT gasser.

Reactions: phil

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Oh good god! That is not cold. We had a Christmas in the North East Kingdom of VT where I had to put coals from the wood furnace under the VW Rabbit engine to get it above -40 where the atomized gas will remain a vapor and the car would start. Then we trundled the kids to Grammy’s. BTW we lived 1/4 mile from the road off grid so we hiked out and back in, that night. Our son was 4 and daughter 2 so I carried her part way. I of course made a trip with the bucket of coals then let the car run as I went back for the family. It was a beautiful day as I think back on it. Folks in Alaska must see this all the time. It’s 75 here in AZ.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
And he did all of this while balancing a case of Bud Light on his head while holding the bucket of hot coals in one arm and the baby & her blankie in the other with snow shoes on (MrsRD was out walking the dog the whole time) ;) I know because I read the police report in the NortEast Kingdom Daily Reporter (or was it the write up on the LeatherMan site, i’m Losing my memory it’s been so cold out). ;)

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
It was Dos Equis. And didn’t my story sound like an adventure of that most interesting man guy on the ads? Think what could have been.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Two mornings at -20 with daytime highs of around -5 here... nowhere near a record, but still kind of cold. Colder weather coming this weekend. May be time for a road trip. Van is hibernating in shed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cold, this is cold.
-39C, thats like cold.
Remember -40C is -40F.
At that temp, you can tell the difference between a nickel and a dime, when you drive over them!
2014 Gasser, did not like it, but she started. Took about 15 mins to get her up to temperature
Plugging her in, the next day really helped, only took 5 mins.
That was between Christmas and New Years.
Welcome to Banff!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dang Wally! That's cold! I've had my van at about -12 F and it starts and runs fine. My only complaint is anything below about 20 F the idle moves to 1100 rpm's. I don't know why but suspect it is emissions related. It drives fine like that.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Hey CES, Drive out to see me while I am in AZ (January and March-early May) Bring the bikes as we have an active MTB activity here. You are in the Banana belt of VT, enjoy the chilly weather!

·
Registered
36 Posts
RD, the banana crop for this year may be in trouble. Forecast for tonight is from -10 to -35.

BACK ON TOPIC
I started my Diesel van a couple of days ago when it was around 18 degrees. It had been down to -20 a couple of times before the brief warm up (the van probably never warmed up in my shed). The van started up on the first turn of the key but ran rough and a bunch of messages scrolled by on the dash. The van would not go into any gears so I turned it off and plugged in the heater (should have done that first). It started to snow and I abandoned my plans for taking it for a drive fearing I may not be able to get it back up my road in the snow.

I don't use the van in the winter except for a monthly warm up trip when the roads are relatively free of salt (rare in these parts). I've never had this problem before. Have any diesel owners seen this? I hope the problems go away when I try it again in warmer weather.

OFF TOPIC AGAIN
I'd love to do a road trip to AZ but I need to stay relatively close to home. Last years first sap run was Jan 22nd so I need to get ready to drill holes in maple trees when the warmer weather returns. This year has been crazy for weather. We got hit with freak 100 mph winds in Oct that tore my woods up and uprooted around 150+ tappable maple trees.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Sounds like you went into the firewood business. I’m going to be in NH for February and a bit of March. It would be fun to come help you tap but I know it won’t happen. Do you modern sap suckers still use one of those tapping drills driven by a gasoline engine like from a weedwacker? I loved that machine! There is something about the smell of 2 stroke exhaust in the woods on a sunny 0º day!

You just have to plug the van in as the transmission and engine are built for that at those temperatures. BTW I cheaped out when I ordered my van and didn’t get the plug-in heaters. I don’t plan to be in that kind of cold and it starts and goes fine in the lower 30s we get here on a cold night once in a while.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No more gas drills, everyone is using cordless drills. I get about 400 taps in with two 18 volt NiCad batteries (Li-ion does better), which is about my daily limit, fewer if I'm on snowshoes.

Sounds like it's been awhile since you've been back in the sugar woods.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Late 1980’s old Leader evaporator w/tin pans, buckets, JD-40 crawler and in Danville you you needed it, or my Moto-ski MS-18 long track and trailer if there was still more than 4 ft of snow. I had another wheel tractor but we always had too much snow to use it. Small, really small- hobby as I was teaching full time. Where I am now you’d have to tap the oaks, although I do have a handful of maples.
The crawler was gas of course so a shot of either and you were good to go. Today it’s the PCM that’s keeping the transmission from engaging. I think there is not alternative to waiting for warmer weather, or plugging in. From the manual:

During extremely cold temperatures, the transmission will not operate if the oil temperature is -22°F (-30°C) or below. When transmission actuation oil temperature is lower than -22°F (-30°C), engine start will not be allowed by PCM. For this reason the block heater is recommended below -17°F (-27°C). Normal operation will resume once the transmission temperature has risen to a suitable level

1 - 17 of 17 Posts