Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I completed the installation of a four camera rear view system with 9" monitor I purchased from Tadi Brothers. All cameras are of the CCD type with IR Leds for use at night. One camera has a built in microphone. The inside of my van is completely empty so I used hard wiring throughout. I ran a fused (5 amp) 14 ga wire from the battery as I wanted the system to operate independent of the ignition. The monitor has buttons to select a full display of any camera, and it has a mode button to allow various combinations of cameras including all four simultaneously.

One camera is mounted on each side over the front doors. Two cameras are mounted at the extreme rear of the roof with one aimed horizontally like a normal rear view mirror. The other is angled downward so that the edge of the bumper is visible - this camera also has grid lines to help judge distance.

First I removed upper and lower headliners and the storage shelf. All of the cameras were mounted to the van skin with stainless pop rivets and a 3/4" hole drilled for a grommet. If a camera ever needs to be replaced the wires and RCA plugs will slide out through the hole so that inside access would not be required. Wire runs from all cameras end in the roof center near the back of the top headliner (allowing future access if necessary). A multi-wire cable runs from there to the monitor which is mounted on the rear view mirror with VHB tape. I also mounted four six inch Led reading lights (6 watt, 480 lumen each) along the visor area, two on each side. In the center near the monitor I mounted a power switch with Led indicator for the rear monitor system. Nearby I also mounted two touch sensitive on/off/dim switches for the reading lights.

Before replacing the top headliner I placed full coverage of thinsulate insulation over the roof surface and side panels. The shelf, two headliners, and the visor panel were quite easy to replace in spite of the ominous looking air bags.

I'm quite satisfied with the operation of the rear monitor system. Tadi Brothers is decent to work with although there were several shipping errors which they promptly corrected. Their technicians were quite available but as every installation is essentially custom you are on your own to work out most of the details. The instructions are very generic with no mention of mounting specifics.

Attachments

Reactions: CParks and ThomD

·
Registered
121 Posts
Leds and cameras! I love it! Do the cameras on the sides by the doors cause any wind noise? What brand reading lights?

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dane
I haven't noticed any noise from the side cameras but there is still a good bit of background sound as the back of the van is completely empty. It might be hard to tell from the pic but the side cameras are quite streamlined. I bought the Led lights from ebay for $2 each including shipping (from China). They are marketed as waterproof driving lights for vehicles. Look around as prices vary considerably. I plan to buy a dozen or so to use for miscellaneous lighting around the RV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251812654350

I really like the touch sensitive on/off/dim switches although they cost around $9 apiece. I think they are available for less from other sources but I didn't want to wait too long.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...h-12-24-volt-dc-touch-led-dimmer-6-amps/1867/

...........Leds and cameras! I love it! Do the cameras on the sides by the doors cause any wind noise? What brand reading lights?

Reactions: Dane
1 - 4 of 4 Posts