21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Just a few thoughts, IMHO of course!

1) The passenger side slider window is the important one. Truly a safety feature on the Promaster.

2) I find it hard to believe that Chicago theft rates are so high that dealers don't want to stock vans with any cargo area windows. Unless you have a partition, you can just as easily break a front door window to gain entry!

3) Anywhere outside of Chicago, a very typical on-the-dealer-lot configuration is slider door and back doors with windows.

4) Although the slider window is important, in many builds, the rear door windows are obscured by the build. So, they are not as "vital" as the slider window. Consider your floor plan before requiring the OEM (non-opening) back door windows. Maybe a ceiling vent fan at the back instead?

5) As far as the slider door window, CRL sells a few models. One is the typical clamp ring type install, but, you don't see the gasket. It looks just like a factory window in size, tint and shape. Second, they offer a replacement slider door window that is glued in place just like the factory window. Except, you have to put a trim piece on the inside metal to cover the sharp edge where the metal is cut. Third, they offer a window that looks like factory except that it has and opening vent strip along the bottom... also clamped in place.

6) You might consider a DIY install of a clamping-style CRL window. They look like factory and are really not very hard to install. A one day project for many here on the forum!

7) I can't imagine that a camera, regardless of configuration, could do as good a job as a window in the slider door. Camera instead of windows in the back?... not a bad way to go!

Best wishes in your search for the perfect van... we all define perfect differently!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some good options from CRL.

I've noticed other types of windows with a slider opening. I thought I saw some other rear windows that opened slightly awning style. Might not have been for PM...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts