Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just looking for a little clarity here.

I found a new van. It's well optioned, but I would like windows in the rear doors and the slider. Obviously not a dealer installed option.

Do I want the factory windows? Is there a better option? I do not want gasketed edged frames (term?) I'm Canadian, so US purchases are out.

Can I purchase (or have included in my deal) an OEM kit or parts required to have a glass shop/upfitter install them?

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Ask the selling dealer. OEM style window are sold by CR Lawrence.
877a979437bfaf5c3d9fe2feb9189d2e.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can always include an allowance to have anything done in your deal you want, getting the bank to approve it and the dealer to agree to it is a whole different ballgame. That said, If you just absolutely have to have windows, the best and cheapest way to get them is to, order a van with them as a factory option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask the selling dealer. OEM style window are sold by CR Lawrence.
At this point, I'm telling the dealer it's not the right van:cool:, so...

OEM windows are sold by CR Lawrence OR Windows that appear to be the same as OEM are sold by CR Lawrence??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can always include an allowance to have anything done in your deal you want, getting the bank to approve it and the dealer to agree to it is a whole different ballgame. That said, If you just absolutely have to have windows, the best and cheapest way to get them is to, order a van with them as a factory option.
Inventory in my area is limited, and finding one with the windows I want, is difficult.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
At this point, I'm telling the dealer it's not the right van:cool:, so...

OEM windows are sold by CR Lawrence OR Windows that appear to be the same as OEM are sold by CR Lawrence??
They appear to be the same but are clamped in instead of held by adhesive. They do look identical to the OEM when installed at least from the outside and the tint matches as reported by others. Sorry if I mislead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They appear to be the same but are clamped in instead of held by adhesive. They do look identical to the OEM when installed at least from the outside and the tint matches as reported by others. Sorry if I mislead.
Good information. Thxs. CRL is a big deal, so I was curious they were supplying for FCA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Inventory in my area is limited, and finding one with the windows I want, is difficult.
The issue you will run into is this... no one orders back windows because they facilitate theft.
You will likely have to special order that van.
I know that here in the general Chicago metro area ordering a van to stock with any more glass than the driver needs to see to drive is simply ordering a van that will never sell...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The issue you will run into is this... no one orders back windows because they facilitate theft.
You will likely have to special order that van.
I know that here in the general Chicago metro area ordering a van to stock with any more glass than the driver needs to see to drive is simply ordering a van that will never sell...
I don't live in Chicago.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Why don’t you go to the CR Lawrence site and find the windows you want/like and have them price them. I am sure they have dealers in Canada. I have never heard of dealers doing factory windows aftermarket. A good glass shop might but they normally don’t have to do the cut out. CRL does have opening windows as well and you may want a vented window if you plan to stay in the van.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The dealer I am affiliated with does not sell kits, and Mopar does not offer a kit to convert no windows to windows.
I know your in Canada, but what I was saying is, the windows in the back are not just super common orders for stock vans(to sell off the lot) that said they do exist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why don’t you go to the CR Lawrence site and find the windows you want/like and have them price them. I am not sure they have dealers in Canada but they probably do. I have never heard of dealers doing factory windows aftermarket. A good glass shop might but they normally don’t have to do the cut out. CRL does have opening windows as well and you may want a vented window if you plan to stay in the van.
Because I'm going to get as much out of my deal as I can. If I don't get windows from my deal, I'll buy aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Many (most?) of us get vans without windows and install them ourselves. Auto body and glass shops (through the PM dealer or on your own) should be able to install OEM replacement windows, but OEMs don't open.

If you want opening (vented) windows. Several of us Canucks have ordered Motion Windows (sliders) from the States. They will ship up here. Canuck forum member, emat, had his shipped up. We went down and picked ours up, but that won't work while the border is closed.

As RD said, CR Laurence (awning) is another common option. They are not OEM, but they match OEM looks and can open. Last time I checked, the company only sells wholesale in Canada, but most auto glass shops can order and/or install for you. There might be other Canadian source online, like EBay.

Euro-style camper windows (awning) are a third option. Tern Overland is the main NAmerican seller. Not sure about sources up here, but I bet they will ship. A fourth option is knock-offs via EBay or AliExpress.

Figure out what kind of windows you want (opening vs. fixed, slider vs. awning, etc) and go from there. Search this forum. The windows topic is a perennial favourite here. You will find pros and cons, installation help, etc, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many (most?) of us get vans without windows and install them ourselves. Auto body and glass shops (through the PM dealer or on your own) should be able to install OEM replacement windows, but OEMs don't open.

If you want opening (vented) windows. Several of us Canucks have ordered Motion Windows (sliders) from the States. They will ship up here. Canuck forum member, emat, had his shipped up. We went down and picked ours up, but that won't work while the border is closed.

As RD said, CR Laurence (awning) is another common option. They are not OEM, but they match OEM looks and can open. Last time I checked, the company only sells wholesale in Canada, but most auto glass shops can order and/or install for you. There might be other Canadian source online, like EBay.

Euro-style camper windows (awning) are a third option. Tern Overland is the main NAmerican seller. Not sure about sources up here, but I bet they will ship. A fourth option is knock-offs via EBay or AliExpress.

Figure out what kind of windows you want (opening vs. fixed, slider vs. awning, etc) and go from there. Search this forum. The windows topic is a perennial favourite here. You will find pros and cons, installation help, etc, etc.
Thanks. Good info there.

I just stopped in at Speedy Glass. They told me they can install any OEM Pilkington window I want.

I see you're on the island. I lived there for 20yrs, and will be back there soon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Another possible option for you is to install cameras and some LCD screens instead of windows. I saw a van like this and really liked the idea.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks. Good info there.

I just stopped in at Speedy Glass. They told me they can install any OEM Pilkington window I want.

I see you're on the island. I lived there for 20yrs, and will be back there soon.
I live in Victoria & bought my CRL window from an auto glass shop locally.

I really like the CRL windows for the PM.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts