Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From another thread...

If no one has formally asked, maybe we can join voices to request a separate site for City owners. We like our lil' buddies, but many posts are confusing because someone is talking about the PMC and we are responding as PM owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponvaning
I'm not even sure why the Promaster City is even on this site. It is a totally different vehicle and very few members here seem to have City's. It causes a lot of confusion, for sure!

There is even a City image at the top of the page and NO Promaster image to be seen!

What does everyone else think?

I agree, and have mentioned this issue on other threads.

If it was possible for the forum sponsors (We really do appreciate what they do for us!) to create a totally different site for City owners, it would surely be helpful!

PLEEEEEEZE ! :D

Ed

... and while I'm on my soapbox, how about ALL users putting a location in their profile - it often helps with location context when reading and responding to a thread!

ps. I did send an email request to Autoguide for their consideration.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, that is what Eddie is talking about, and I agree very much. Having PMs and PMCs both sharing the same site is very confusing at times. Often times, when viewing threads, the only way to differentiate between the two is the very fine print at the top of the thread. If you don't happen to notice what vehicle the thread pertains to, one can very easily post comments that just don't make sense. There should be a way of keeping these separate. If a completely separate site isn't possible, the recent discussions board and new posts area should at least be divided into two clearly separate sections.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Yes that is so but when you check new posts it is always confusing and if the poster doesn't put it in that section it's next to impossible to figure out what they have.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I can usually tell when i get into the thread... and don't recognize familiar names and pictures dont jibe with the vehicle.
Then i look up at the header..
It is confusing if you aint looking for it.
Ive trained myself to look for it now after replying to a few by mistake

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I agree I want them to have a forum of their own or a clearly separate forum that search distinguishes apart. I have to do the reject, reject when the thread is about PWC.

·
Registered
756 Posts
When the PMCity was vaporware any curiosity may have generated valid statistics to be harvested and sold/utilized... but.. now it's just confusing.

Go make a separate all-inclusive commercial fleet forum if that's what the committee wants, but split off the micro-van from this full sized van forum!

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I wish I had the authority to do this but I'm just a moderator.

I access the site a dozen times a day at least but almost always on my iPad, not my computer. Looking at the site on my computer I see there are two photos on the top right header of the Promaster and the PMC is on the left. The screen on my iPad shrinks the page width down so only the PMC image on the left shows up. I know I could use the tablet page but I'm not comfortable with it and much prefer the regular page.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
We probably have to contact the administrator. I'll try and point this tread to them!

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Actually ! Have contacted them about this and they are looking into it. The problem seems to be the fact the PMC is a very low volume thread presently and it may not make economic sense for them as such.

I agree they should switch the images at the top of the page or even get rid of the City image and I will follow up on it.

I've been away most of all last week but now I have time to work on it again.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A response from our Forum Providers!

I received a response from our hosts!

Angela B.
replied:
Hello
Thank you for your e-mail. It looks like their is already a separate forum for Promaster City
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90
If this is not what you are referring to, then please provide me details.
Regards
Thanks,
Angela B.

...to which I responded:

Angela,

Right now there is a Promaster City forum (section) on Promasterforum.com.

What I was requesting is that the Autoguide.com Group create a separate website forum entitled PromasterCityforum.com as a separate entity with sections like "electronics", "how to", "appearance", etc.

The problem is that they are very different vans and as we Promaster Van owners read through the different threads, sometimes it takes 6 or 7 posts before you realize that they are talking about a part on the PromasterCity, not the Promaster.

For example, you may see a thread listed on the right column as an active post entitled, "side window installation". As you link and read the thread, after a few posts, you realize that the poster is talking about how he added side windows to his City van. Problem is that this is entirely inaccurate for Promaster (van, not city) owners. On a City, the side windo is about 3 feet long, on a Promaster (van), it's a 7 foot window!

Nothing in the thread title mentions "City", so you end up in the wrong place. Some posters have even commented on a specific part or service recall that they recommend, but it ends up being for the van, not the City, or vice versa.

Best comparison I can offer is like having an S10 forum and a Silverado forum all bunched together in a Chevy Pickup forum. It would get very confusing for owners of a Silverado to read a thread about how to add a hitch when the hitches for an S10 and Silverado are totally different!

Or, consider a Silverado forum with one sub-forum entitled "S10", Silverado owners would have a tough time understanding threads that are discussing the S10. As you have now, there is a Silverado forum (actually 2) and a totally separate S-10 forum provided by Autoguide.

I'm hoping that the staff at Autoguide can understand the issues it creates and set up a separate forum named PromasterCityforum.com so the two entirely different vehicles will have their own place to go and discuss issues pertinent to the vehicle they own! It would avoid lots of confusion and best serve your audience.

Please understand that the members of the Promasterforum really appreciate what you offer. The forum has been the perfect place to share ideas and info about our new vans. Your forum is particularly appreciated because the Promaster (and it's entirely different little brother, the Promaster City) are new vehicles and information is hard to come by. Your forum provides a much needed gathering spot! Thank you!

Sincerely,

Ed

fingers crossed!!!!! :D

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She said what I said, there is already a separate forum the PMC. No need to over complicate it...
Myke,

There is a separate section of PromasterForum.com for the City. That's not a separate forum...as in one with a different web address, like PromasterCityForum.com.

Look at the RECENT DISCUSSIONS panel on the right of the screen. Notice the threads listed.

Please tell me how we are supposed to tell which threads are about the Promaster and which are about the Promaster City.

Sometimes we're 7 or 8 posts into reading a thread listed on the right before it may dawn on us that the discussion is about a City, not a full size Promaster. We need a separate website (forum) for city owners so the participants are all talking about the same vehicle.

As I said, "For example, you may see a thread listed on the right column as an active post entitled, "side window installation". As you link and read the thread, after a few posts, you realize that the poster is talking about how he added side windows to his City van. Problem is that this is entirely inaccurate for Promaster (van, not city) owners. On a City, the side window is about 3 feet long, on a Promaster (van), it's a 7 foot window!"

Autoguide.com has separate forums for many different vehicles, probably about 70 or 80 different sites. The Promaster City should have its own forum (site). Not because we don't like the lil' guys, but because the two vehicles have more that is different than what we have in common!

Ed

·
Registered
131 Posts
I see what you are saying but it seems most on here are PM owners.

When you click one of the links on the right you can see on the page that follows what sub forum you are in. Like if you click on 'Extra options now avaiable' you can then see you are in 'Promaster General Discussion Forum'.

Separate domain is more work, money, maintenance, updates...

Actually, how about we just ditch everything related to PMC... :) make it all PM!

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I'll contact them again but don't expect much as the City is not well represented and I think they want to just keep it merged here.

I do think they should lose the City image and switch the Promaster and Promaster City at the top of the page as many (including me) of us just use our phones and tablets and don't really care to see two images of the City all the time and none of the Promaster!

·
Registered
604 Posts
My, my...Eddie you're a silver-tongued devil... ;)

A lawyer in a past life??? :D

Seriously, a very well written letter!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts