Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Or people could just, you know, learn how to drive...

Every time I see one of these new blind spot warning, lane change assist, auto dimming headlight, auto brake, self parking features a little piece of me inside dies. Every day cars are being designed more and more for people who don't drive, bringing us closer to the the day when all cars will be self driving. While I can appreciate the technological advances of these features, I worry about the ethical dilemma that self driving cars will bring. If my self driving car senses it is about to crash into a malfunctioning self driving bus full of nuns and school children, what will the programming be set to do ? Will it decide to swerve me into a tree to avoid hitting them, even though their vehicle was at fault?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
GapRunner, you and I ride motorcycles. We may benefit more than anyone else from those self driving cars. My 57 years riding (I started at 9) has delivered plenty of examples. Self driving cars will not do sudden left turns as we meet them as a school bus did to my son (ATGATT) in which he lost the memory of his youth following the concussion. They wont turn left as we pass them either, or emerge from side streets... etc. Lets be honest here, most of these cage careeners can't drive now! As for trailers ask any kid who grew up on a farm to back it up for you... we used to have to back up a 4 wheeled wagon! Trailers.... get a life- we can do that without even looking behind us if there is one mirror! On a happy note I believe these cars are coming just fast enough to get me around when I can't drive due to advanced age, dementia, blindness, the heartbreak of psoriases etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's an interesting way to look at it RD, and maybe one I should adopt. I agree that self driving cars will probably be safer for motorcyclists, but until they become common place, perhaps there should be a focus on improving the skill level of the average driver today. It's as if half the people I see behind the wheel already wish they had a self driving car.

And to go off topic.. As for riding.. I took a little spin through Deals Gap/ Tail of the Dragon this afternoon. I love it here in the winter. I rode all the way through, sat on the bench at the store and had a drink, then rode all the way back without seeing another vehicle. And it was 70 degrees!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Off Topic too, sorry, in AZ I live where there is 45-90 miles of flat straight roads to get to interesting rides. I envy you that nice day and to be there in Deals gap w/o traffic must be heaven! I am with out m/c here now as I rode my F650GS that was a desert ride back East last spring. I gotta deal for a 250-400 real dirt bike w/registration.

You are right about the driving ability. I think in NH we have so many bikes that drivers do see you unlike where m/cs are occasionally seen. It's an issue of attention more than anything else I believe, stereo blaring, gps directing, cruise on, phone calls even hands free, display changing, etc. all use a bit of our brain. Inside my helmet its just me, the bike and the road, kinda like a wwII jet pilot doing strafing runs low and fast, big banking turns and the brain focused like a laser.

·
Registered
427 Posts
And to go off topic.. As for riding.. I took a little spin through Deals Gap/ Tail of the Dragon this afternoon. I love it here in the winter. I rode all the way through, sat on the bench at the store and had a drink, then rode all the way back without seeing another vehicle. And it was 70 degrees!
Off topic, but I wish I was there. A bunch of us pay a visit to your area for a week every September, and occasionally I join another group for a week in April or early May.

There are some riders who could benefit from self-riding motorcycles as well, but I digress.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just saw an ad for this Ford Truck gadget - looks pretty useful! Maybe it will become SOP for trucks and vans?
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2015/05/21/pro-trailer-back-assist.pdf
So this thing looks like it takes over the steering wheel? They say that you turn the little knob for the direction you want the trailer to go and it turns the truck for you? While I hope it looks out on the front bumpers for clearance of the truck as it's keeping the trailer where you wanted to go. I guess you just let go of the steering wheel and grab this little knob instead and when you're back in your trailer

·
Registered
625 Posts
Basically, yep. That's it.

Need the trailer a bit to the right, nudge the knob to the right. Then release again to go straight back (the knob is self-centering).

From one video I watched, it does take some setup on each trailer though, and each trailer has a 'profile' that you select. It figures things out via the backup camera, and watching a couple black/white checkered stickers that you stick on the tongue of the trailer.

The vid I watched had them backing up straight between a tight row of cones. Release the knob, and let it go. You could watch the steering wheel move back and forth as it gave minor corrections to stay on a straight course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts