Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Hi all,

I still keep up with any new ideas on seat transplants from double to single on the passenger side. The ebay device listed above will not work in the Promaster because of the connection interface--just will not plug in. To date I don't believe that the task can be accomplished without going through the steps that I had to do, ref my post which is within the link shown above in Phil's thread.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
bringing this thread back with some questions.
I see info on trying to fool the system but no info on using a blown seatbelt sensor.

has anyone tried to resurrect a blown tensioner and seat belt for use as the extra (missing middle seat) sensor?
wondering if the only electrical indicator of a blown tensioner is the wires in the seat belt latch being cut when the tensioner fires.

I picked up a single passenger seat to replace my bench but it has a blown tensioner. I took it apart trying to figure the system out.
one thing I noticed it that the pretensioner when it blows, severs the seatbelt latch sensor wire.
I'm wondering what can be done to salvage a blown unit, I spliced the wires back together for the seat belt latch sensor. now I'm wondering what the sensor in the explosive part is looking for or if it is simply an explosive charge and not a sensor. I'd hate to pay $200 for a dummy seatbelt unit just to hide it under the seat, if a used one will work with a little fiddling.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
According to the FIAT Ducato OM the Air Bag Waring light should be red if it detects something wrong with airbags or pretensioners.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Has anyone completed the seat swap 100% ?
I have read a few experiences but none that were 100% complete
I will be picking up a single seat this week that is why I asked

·
Registered
89 Posts
here is the eBay item number for the pretensioner dummy replacement. this will tell the computer that the pretensioner is good if you need to. plug and play. 262884458943.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having troubles finding out from dealers or even Dodge Manufacturing direct if a seat swap is even OK to do. All they recommend is contacting dealers and asking if it is possible. Anyone here have any luck replacing the passenger bench seat with a bucket seat on the 2500 High Roof 159WB?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I am having troubles finding out from dealers or even Dodge Manufacturing direct if a seat swap is even OK to do. All they recommend is contacting dealers and asking if it is possible. Anyone here have any luck replacing the passenger bench seat with a bucket seat on the 2500 High Roof 159WB?

post #3

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Ok from whose standpoint? It is alright for the the scores of people who have already done them. It was okay for the 2 guys I swapped with who now have my bucket seats sitting where their bench used to be.

Pull the bench and the bucket out, and the interior of both vans are identical as far as mounts go. the only difference is the wiring harness for the airbag on the bench.

·
Registered
89 Posts
same effect, the airbag system is looking for a certain value, the value is the same for the explosive squibs in the pretensioner and the airbag squib. I have tested this and this small unit sends the same value that the system is looking for. what makes you say that this is not for a pretensioner?

·
Registered
124 Posts
there are 4 wires in the yellow connector yellow & black go to the spring release which tightens the cable in the buckle
Red and black go to the buckle itself and are open circuit in a normal condition

where did you connect that part ?

I asked the seller and he said it is an air bag simulator, for testing air bag circuit checking status of airbag. Unit has 4 ohms resistance same as airbag

·
Registered
89 Posts
so, this goes in place of the 2 wires going to the pretensioner. the other 2 wires are for the latch sensor in the buckle. the 2 pins on this simulator connect directly to the pretensioner wire, no cutting splicing... in fact it's shown doing just that in the photos in the auction. it's meant to simulate components in the airbag system in order to pinpoint a problem. I am by no means a professional in this matter, all I can say is that I have personally tested the unit and had no issues with airbag warnings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
completed the seat swap this evening. total cost less than $225. single seat from salvage yard $125. occupancy sensor $85. pretensioner simulator $5.
VERY simple to do. disconnect neg. from batt. undo about 6 connectors, remove 2 bolts, remove bench. install new seat, reconnect all sensors, reconnect battery. actual swap took about 10 min.
can avoid the seat belt issues if you remove old seat belts from bench. only new part you'll need to order is the occupancy sensor, I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the old one...
feel free to ask any questions if anyone needs to... like I said, VERY easy

1 - 20 of 65 Posts