Ram Promaster Forum banner

Followup to last post, oil cooler seems to definitely be leaking (48k miles 2019 2500 136" wheelbase). Also losing coolant.

315 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Bordenov
I got some of those 3' zip ties to use as a transmission oil dipstick and after peeking around the engine bay again decided to use one to stick down near my oil cooler. I put it down near either side and both times it came back with a ton of oil on it. I thought I had smelled burning oil before and so looked all around and under my engine bay to end up finding some down near the bottom of my serpentine belt as well as some possibly pooling near either of the oil cooler. looked to be burnt oil on the transmission bell housing as well. It wasn't a misplacement of the oil filter O-ring so my guess is that it's the cooler.

My oil levels weren't low or anything, but seems to just be a matter of time before this becomes a bigger problem.

My van is still under warranty and so I'm going to schedule an appointment soon. Was wondering if there's a TSB for the oil cooler, and also curious as to people's experiences with bringing theirs in to a dealership for this (apparently common) issue.

On top of this I have the equally common coolant loss issue and so I want them to check that out too. I'm wondering what anyone's experience is with getting the dealership to properly diagnose and fix this since after looking through posts here it seems that they rarely do. The loss is slow but eventually picks up again for some reason and will drop below the min line. My bottle was basically empty at some point late last winter but after filling it it dropped to near min and stayed there for like 10k miles. Now it's dropping again (cold weather causing it?)

Posting here as another warning to look out for this issue as well as seeking second opinions on either matter. I might just replace the cooler myself with the Dorman but I'm still under warranty. Maybe I'm even losing coolant from the cooler?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Had to replace my oil cooler last year because of oil leaking. At 33K and past warranty. Got RAM to help with replacement, as a known defect. Dealer quoted $1400 to replace and Ram picked up all but $200 of cost. If you are still under warranty, I would purchase the metal cooler and have dealer replace the cooler.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had to replace my oil cooler last year because of oil leaking. At 33K and past warranty. Got RAM to help with replacement, as a known defect. Dealer quoted $1400 to replace and Ram picked up all but $200 of cost. If you are still under warranty, I would purchase the metal cooler and have dealer replace the cooler.
good idea. I was wary of having the dealership fix the issue because it would inevitably pop up again down the line, but if they're willing to put in the Dorman while still covering it under warranty that would be ideal.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
called the dealer today and yea he said they would only be able to replace it with an OEM. Considering whether I swap it with an aluminum Dorman myself or simply have them give me another timebomb lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts