Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were going 80mph in 65mph straight crosswind. Junk and hail were flying horizontally across the road and slamming into the side of the van.

I asked my husband later how it handled. He said, "I was too focused to tell, but in retrospect it must have handled well." He never left the lane.

Word of wisdom: when you see the storm trackers parked, turn around. We did and made it to a truck stop with a shelter. 5 tornados on the ground, but none over us.

What a day! We are west of the dry line now and should have an uneventful night at a state park. So far, I haven't seen any damage to the van.

Ironically, the purpose of this drive was to protect the van from the softball hail projected for our driveway.

·
Registered
625 Posts
We took a Thanksgiving road trip from WA to NM last year. When we left southeast WA in the evening it was in the middle of one of the worst windstorms in 30 something years. And we get lots of wind here. We left town uphill straight into the wind, probably 40-50mph. As we headed south and crossed the Columbia river we were seeing big rigs blown over from the crosswinds. In Oregon the highways were closed for lack of visibility from the dust and there were yet more rigs blown over. We took some back roads to get around the closure, but it certainly wasn't any better.

But through it all the van did just fine. I learned not to fight it too much and let it float about a bit within my lane, don't try to hold it to a perfect line. The scariest bit was when we were stopped on an overpass waiting to turn left onto the highway; the crosswinds were pushing the van quite a bit. It was nowhere near tipping, but it certainly did not feel good. Was much better to get moving.

Since then I've driven in some of the 'usual' strong winds of the Columbia Gorge (just last weekend!) and while it does take more 'driving' than my Audi wagon in the winds, its really not that bad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was driving on I-95 last week...some #@#$%er driving along side of me drove right into my lane. At first I couldn't believe and it didn't register until he was inches from me...and I mean inches. It took a dramatic avoidance maneuver to keep him from driving into me, so much so that the semi behind me locked up his brakes and a lane over another took evasive action probably based on the fact that I was going over the way the van was tipping. I thought I was dead, honestly, it was that bad, the van did not like the maneuver and was difficult to control, but did remain upright. I guess it did as good as a high roof van loaded with contractor equipment would do but since I don't have any experience with that type of maneuver in the competition (nor do I have any desire to be either) so I don't have an opinion other than it remained upright and came back to control reasonably quickly.

A week later I'm still rattled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts