Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my son was driving across Texas in the PM and twice the power folding mirrors slammed closed against the van. They would not open with the button. Anyone ever experience this before?

He said he was doing between 75 and 80 when it happened both times.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
My passenger power mirror started acting up then stopped altogether. I got a new one under warranty. The service tech did tell me the motor heats up and stops if you try to fold them too many times in a row.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my drivers side mirror replaced. When I opened back up it moved to the windshield. Did not stop at the right position. Replaced under warranty. I now have the ignition switch recall.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
My drivers side mirror will only close about a third of the way. I'm out of warrantee now so my tough luck. I never close either of them unless I'm parking in my garage which I hardly ever do and even them it's only as a precaution so I'm not too concerned about it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Both of mine were replaced. When I drove off the lot my driverside mirror lens fell out of the housing on my way home. Replaced that one, then the passenger side folding broke. Fixed that one, now the driver side doesnt always fold properly even after a full replacement. Oh well, just glad it is an option rarely needed. Glad we aren't driving a fancy car that auto folds the mirrors when you park, then I would be pretty annoyed.

I was told the heat can cause the mirrors to loosen up and fall out of the housing. Just in case it happens to anyone else.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it seems there are many different problems with these mirrors. My son it scared the **** out of him when it happened. It was sudden and violent.

I guess I will add it to the list for the next visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Today my son was driving across Texas in the PM and twice the power folding mirrors slammed closed against the van. They would not open with the button. Anyone ever experience this before?

He said he was doing between 75 and 80 when it happened both times.
I think the mirrors pretty much are held in position by the plastic parts and fit/friction, maybe a little "detent" (probably not the right word?) in the open position. I could see where a bit of wind added to those speeds could let the mirror fold in if the fit between parts isn't quite right. It's all cheap plastic parts after all...

I have forgotten to open the mirrors several times and tried later at 50 mph or so. I noticed the mirrors won't open if you're moving very fast. I don't think the motor is powerful enough to do that. I doubt it's designed to be able to do that. The motor is definitely weak. If a little water freezes between the pivoting surfaces they will not open with the motor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cheapness seems to be the common description here. I have noticed when trying to fold mine sometimes one folds and the other doesn't. Then when folding them back out, you have to push the button to deploy them several times before they get out to the proper position. They seem to be affected by temperature. The colder it is outside, the less chance they will work properly. The good news is the only time I use them is once a week when I'm parked in front of the local watering hole for a couple hours. It's on a narrow busy street.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cheapness seems to be the common description here. I have noticed when trying to fold mine sometimes one folds and the other doesn't. Then when folding them back out, you have to push the button to deploy them several times before they get out to the proper position. They seem to be affected by temperature. The colder it is outside, the less chance they will work properly. The good news is the only time I use them is once a week when I'm parked in front of the local watering hole for a couple hours. It's on a narrow busy street.
Yeah, it's kind of disappointing going from the stock towing mirrors on my E-350 to these. The Ford mirrors were built like a tank and I can't even count the number of tree branches they took out with nothing more than some light scratches to show for it. Hopefully FCA will up their game a bit on these mirrors with next year's model.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are these the large Dumbo mirrors that you guys are having issues with? I haven't had any problems with my standard mirrors. They have always folded and unfolded perfectly and I've bumped them out of place with my shoulder a few times and just push them back to the detention position with no ill effects.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are these the large Dumbo mirrors that you guys are having issues with? I haven't had any problems with my standard mirrors. They have always folded and unfolded perfectly and I've bumped them out of place with my shoulder a few times and just push them back to the detention position with no ill effects.
Mine are the power folding standard length heated mirror. Built July 2014

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
BTW my unfolding, unheated regular, no extra cost mirrors have been great, never have had to readjust them, return to the detent well. Glad I didn't throw $$ at that.

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine has the electric folding mirrors.

·
Registered
253 Posts
BTW my unfolding, unheated regular, no extra cost mirrors have been great, never have had to readjust them, return to the detent well. Glad I didn't throw $$ at that.
Yes, and on a related note, if we all drove bicycles instead, we wouldn't have problems with heated power mirrors either. Bicycles are so much cheaper than vans anyway. But it would be nice if FCA would put a little engineering behind the gizmos some of us are willing to pay extra for.

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes, and on a related note, if we all drove bicycles instead, we wouldn't have problems with heated power mirrors either. Bicycles are so much cheaper than vans anyway. But it would be nice if FCA would put a little engineering behind the gizmos some of us are willing to pay extra for.
Well- I could offer that walking is simpler still but that would not make more sense than the bicycle thing! On the mirror issue I want those contemplating the purchase of the folders to consider spending their $$ on another option as I just see the standard ones as fine. Aren't these the same mirrors as on the Ducato in Europe since 2007? I agree they should be well sorted. As for the comment by another that they hoped the folders will get an upgrade in 2017, I doubt it as FCA has had plenty of time to get them right already.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the regular size power folding heated mirrors on my 2015 (van built Dec 2014) and have folded/unfolded them at least 100 times with no issues that have been posted here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the regular size power folding heated mirrors on my 2015 (van built Dec 2014) and have folded/unfolded them at least 100 times with no issues that have been posted here.
Does your van ever see cold weather? Mine are much better when temps are above freezing. But I still occasionally have to push the button twice to get them all the way out or all the way in. By the time we hit 70 degrees in August ;), they'll be working almost flawlessly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does your van ever see cold weather? Mine are much better when temps are above freezing. But I still occasionally have to push the button twice to get them all the way out or all the way in. By the time we hit 70 degrees in August
, they'll be working almost flawlessly.
Not much cold weather all though we did have over the winter a month of upper 20s low 30s overnight lows but quickly warmed up above 50 during the day. Being in Southern California probably won't see those temperatures again till November-December so I'll try to mess with them first thing in morning before Sun warms em up next time we get in the 30s! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts