Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
Looking to find a fold up double/full size bed that would extend from behind the drivers seat to the slider door. I saw some earlier posts from 2015 but it appears that company no longer makes these for the Promaster.
Looking for a bed that will fold up out of the way when not needed. Nothing to fancy but something comfortable that me and my wife can sleep on.
Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
489 Posts
It will have to fold up lengthwise because a folding bed will be too long to fit crossways behind the drivers seat. I don't know if there are off the shelf solutions, but a set of murphy bed brackets should be able to make your dream a reality.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've seen a folding bed/couch in an enclosed trailer . Search is your friend .

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
127 Posts
Hello everyone
Looking to find a fold up double/full size bed that would extend from behind the drivers seat to the slider door. I saw some earlier posts from 2015 but it appears that company no longer makes these for the Promaster.
Looking for a bed that will fold up out of the way when not needed. Nothing to fancy but something comfortable that me and my wife can sleep on.
Thanks,
Ray
Are you looking for either a Jack knife Jackknife Sofa | etrailer.com

or a rollover sofa bed? Sofa Sleeper

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS and RnR

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Are you looking for either a Jack knife Jackknife Sofa | etrailer.com

or a rollover sofa bed? Sofa Sleeper
Holy frickin crap! Is that alien or German technology? That's exactly what I wanted to build! I couldn't think of a way to have the bed be a bed, or a couch and also completely fold up to the wall. I decided to just have the bed either be up or down like a Murphy bed.
I need to see if I can purchase the hardware separately, or at least good enough pics to copy it.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
127 Posts
Holy frickin crap! Is that alien or German technology? That's exactly what I wanted to build! I couldn't think of a way to have the bed be a bed, or a couch and also completely fold up to the wall. I decided to just have the bed either be up or down like a Murphy bed.
I need to see if I can purchase the hardware separately, or at least good enough pics to copy it.
Lol!
That Rollover sofa bed (where the backrest flips over the seat to the front into the aisle) is used in many vintage Airstreams, so that has been around for decades.
I saw a van conversion video recently where he used the hardware only from RBComponents (2nd link), but for the life of me I can’t find it right now. If I do I’ll post it.

Reactions: RnR

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Realistically, I should probably do myself a huge favor and keep it simple by just sticking to my simple one-piece fold up design.
But I definitely want to check out that diy job if you find it. Maybe I can get some ideas and it won't be that complicated.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
127 Posts
BINGO - found this gentleman’s van tour. He is an older gentleman in Oregon who did already 3 van conversions. He recently did a solo South America tour in his Promaster. His YouTube channel and Instagram is Fallingwater Adventures.

Stunning van!!
Van Tour:
sofa bed demo around the 5 min mark.

Reactions: RnR

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
We have built several vans with a sofa-sleeper. We use either: heavy duty drawer slides, slatted system, or the RB Components folding sofa frames.
The RB Components folding sofa kit is nice and works well but the limitation is you have a maximum of 44” width.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm looking for a solution like the following. Relatively simple if I do a simple one-piece bed that just folds up to the wall. A little trickier if I also want it to fold into a couch.
My end game is that when it's folded up, I maintain a 4' wide floor space for hauling cargo and construction material. A slightly different spin, so many of the solutions already out there won't work. Something like these would do the trick. Somehow, I didn't know they existed. But, naturally, I don't want to spend that kind of money. So, trying to think of a way to diy.
z3P68L7.jpg

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread.
Hopefully the conversation helps give the OP some ideas as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,678 Posts
Came across this. Wouldn't work for me, but thought it was clever.
View attachment 64688
I was considering that in my new 2020 build but the lack of access under the bed made me forget it. Still a great idea tho if you can make it work for your usage.

Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks MaggieMarty , I knew that's what I saw . Those type beds were common in the old "executive" vans of yore .
And that means the bones would be in the wrecking yards today .

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I was considering that in my new 2020 build but the lack of access under the bed made me forget it. Still a great idea tho if you can make it work for your usage.
Seems to me you could easily add drawers under the couch/bed to provide storage (if that's why you want access)

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,676 Posts
RnR, that bed is indeed ingenious. It has one serious flaw, though, that is easily fixed. As is, the only support on the hinge side of the flipped piece is the screws holding the hinges. A small strip along the edge of the fixed piece would solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Definitely need a strip under the hinges when it's open.
I could probably use that design for my setup, but I would have to have the back/legs foldable too. I'd have to make custom lockable hardware for everywhere that it folds and then I would have to monkey with the mattress every time I changed positions.
I pulled everything out yesterday so I can get started on finishing the pass side wall and start the permanent bed setup.
If I don't come up with something clever and user friendly by the end of today, I'm just gonna be boring and have a simple Murphy style that's either up or down.
Hopefully I have pics to share by the end of the week.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
All these folding beds have a common flaw. They must be deployed each day as the open bed interferes with the use of the van traveling. I can tell you many a good RV otherwise has been sold when the owners get tired of deplowing the bed, making it up and having to return it in the morning. There are so many other ways to have a reasonable sized bed in a van that allows for at least the option of leaving the bed made up for days camping and some even when traveling. We have friends who just sold their little Airstream for that reason. It wears you down.

Reactions: jracca and RnR
1 - 20 of 32 Posts