Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove in a downpour yesterday, temperature in the mid 70s (~25 C). The little side windows beside the mirrors fogged so badly I could not use the mirrors--a bad thing for van without rear windows. I fiddled with the climate control settings without luck. The driver side window can be reached from the driver seat to wipe off manually, but not the passenger side. Anyone else have this problem or have success solving it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. That is one thing I did not think to try changing. Tried opening window a little, no luck. It was raining much too hard to open it very far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did try turning on A/C, played with temp control, face/foot/defrost control, fan speed. I could not reach the passenger side dash vent to adjust its angle, however.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I expected to happen, but it didn't. Does it matter where the vent nearest the window is positioned? I wonder if my defroster connection is not set up right. I've yet to drive the van in freezing weather. The foggy window was the first time I needed it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This fogging is happening on the inside of the glass, correct? I ask because a lot of times when using the defroster (refrigerated air blowing on glass) the outside of the glass cools below the dew point and condensation happens on the outside. When set to Defrost, the A/C compressor is on (or should be unless the fan switch is all the way off or its really cold outside) and recirculation is not available. Like 30 Ounce said, there's dedicated defrost vents for the little side windows - you shouldn't have to touch the A/C vents at all. They are the tall, thin vents on the outboard corners of the dash. (The fixed triangular vent is part of the A/C vent just below it.) If you're fogging on the inside while the Defrost is on, then something is wrong. Set it to Defrost, fan on, temperature selector all the way to cold, and see if you feel cold air coming out the thin little side vents - mine blows quite a lot of air thru those when in Defrost mode. The thumb wheel that closes the individual A/C vent (and triangular vent) doesn't effect the little side defroster at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Same deal happened to me yesterday. The a/c was on in the van with the drivers window opened a couple inches to let out the cigar smoke.
The little windows fogged over.
But it was on the outside of the glass.
I put the air onto defrost and turned the temperature the red (hot).
In just a minute, the glass heated and de-fogged both glasses.
Then they fogged over again when I resumed a/c.
Then did the process all over again.
Good luck

·
Registered
154 Posts
These vans seem to have a pretty aggressive Defrost, and with the huge windshield they should. Sometimes the best method is to use Defrost until the job is done, then switch to another mode (A/C compressor still running) to maintain dryer air in the cabin. Use temp knob to reheat air as necessary. If its really humid out, like much of the US lately, it can be a bit of a battle getting yourself comfortable without chilling the glass too much.

I'm still trying to figure out the auto-recirculate thing. I do not want the climate control going into recirculate mode on its own! I've tried varying all the conditions the owner's manual says will put it in auto-recirculate. Still, every few minutes I hear the door open(?) and then a minute later close(?). FWIW, the recirculate light on the fan knob does not come on by itself. Maybe it auto-recirculates any time the temp outside is high enough. Maybe mine just isn't working right. Anyone else noticing this?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I never touch my recirculation button. I always want outside air to come in (and replace my cigar smoke thats inside).....
BUT..... that fresh air will NOT come inside thru the vents unless the fan is on. At any speed.Fan Off and no fresh air comes in thru the vents with recirculation off.
my experiences only
good luck..
Again.. if your fogged up glass is on the outside... blow hot air on them from the defroster..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. I did verify today that air blows out from the little side vents when defrost is on (I had not really noticed them before). So now it sounds like a matter of getting the right combination of recirc, temp setting, fan setting, window position (probably best if it is closed all the way?). When having the problem, I didn't touch the recirc setting or change the temp to "heat" (turned A/C on and off, and changed the temp warmer/colder but not into the red) . Heat setting (in the red) with A/C on, perhaps? All good ideas to try. Thanks again--great forum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts