Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
3,089 Posts
Hi,
I've had two past RV's with flush toilets and black tanks.
I'd never do it again.
Probably not what you wanted to hear :)

Maybe you should start with why you are choosing this solution?

Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had two past RV's with flush toilets and black tanks.
I'd never do it again.
Counterpoint:
We have a Pleasureway class b with a flush toilet and black tank and for something I plan to actually camp in I’d never want anything else. Watched friends deal with a variety of other solutions… no thank you

Maybe you should start with why you are choosing this solution?
Why, so you can tell him he’s wrong? Why can’t we just answer his question, if we know the answer, without the commentary? Why can’t we assume he knows what he’s doing and what he wants, rather than assume we know better and tell him he’s wrong for wanting it?

·
Registered
2018-2500-159" aka Sun2 -NE Ohio
270 Posts
From what little I know of flush toilets it seems there are two types. One has a sliding gate at bottom of bowl... Open gate and waste just falls directly into tank. This is probably the simplest setup and has been used on campers a long time. It may need a water line connected. It has it's problems emptying / cleaning. A 3" "stinky slinky" as they are called is needed to empty.

Another type which we have in our 2018 factory built camper is a macerating toilet (Dometic 7640). This type has an impellor/grinder in bowl. A little water (.23 qt) is pumped in and the macerator grinds into a slurry and pumps out the waste. Advantage is the toilet does not have to be installed directly above the tank. Waste is now a slurry so it can be pumped to another location. Tank needs another pump to empty, but again, waste is a slurry so can be pumped out thru a small discharge hose...1 to 1½" dia. This is used a lot in marine installations so you could read up on that for ideas. Our setup works really well. Maintenance is easy. HOWEVER It is very complicated as water and electric are needed. And the tank also has it's own gate valve and macerator pump to empty tank. I would never undertake such a system if I were doing my own build.

You could also ask this question on the Class B forum. ---KenA

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
5,246 Posts
Counterpoint:
We have a Pleasureway class b with a flush toilet and black tank and for something I plan to actually camp in I’d never want anything else. Watched friends deal with a variety of other solutions… no thank you

Why, so you can tell him he’s wrong? Why can’t we just answer his question, if we know the answer, without the commentary? Why can’t we assume he knows what he’s doing and what he wants, rather than assume we know better and tell him he’s wrong for wanting it?
Hi @Rob_s

IMO @GaryBIS was just trying to be helpful.

The OP asked for “Any knowledge or input”.

Sometimes it is hard to get a clear picture or wants/needs of a Member over the internet.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what little I know of flush toilets it seems there are two types. One has a sliding gate at bottom of bowl... Open gate and waste just falls directly into tank. This is probably the simplest setup and has been used on campers a long time. It may need a water line connected. It has it's problems emptying / cleaning. A 3" "stinky slinky" as they are called is needed to empty.

Another type which we have in our 2018 factory built camper is a macerating toilet (Dometic 7640). This type has an impellor/grinder in bowl. A little water (.23 qt) is pumped in and the macerator grinds into a slurry and pumps out the waste. Advantage is the toilet does not have to be installed directly above the tank. Waste is now a slurry so it can be pumped to another location. Tank needs another pump to empty, but again, waste is a slurry so can be pumped out thru a small discharge hose...1 to 1½" dia. This is used a lot in marine installations so you could read up on that for ideas. Our setup works really well. Maintenance is easy. HOWEVER It is very complicated as water and electric are needed. And the tank also has it's own gate valve and macerator pump to empty tank. I would never undertake such a system if I were doing my own build.

You could also ask this question on the Class B forum. ---KenA

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken,
  • I am leaning toward a macerating toilet; I do understand the regarding the mechanical, electrical and water installation challenges.
  • The challenge has been finding information for a waste tank and location/installation on the Promaster 3500 159 ext.; any information on this would this would be greatly appreciated.
  • You mentioned a "Class B Forum"; is that on the Promaster Forum or another forum online?
Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Classbforum.com
Our Hymer Sunlight Van2 has the toilet in back. The tank is located where the spare tire was. No spare now. There are photos of it --somewhere-- on this forum. Since this was factory built I don't know if you could purchase a tank like it. Possibly the Roadtrek brand class b's still use it as some of these are/were very similar.

Spare tire water tank

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
3,089 Posts
Hi,
You are probably right, but he did say "Any knowledge or input regarding would this would be greatly appreciated"

Gary

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
566 Posts
I have a gate-style Thedford toilet and black tank on my conversion. There are a few advantages to a gate style over a macerating toilet IMHO:
1) You can put a spray cleaning wand down into the tank and flush it clean. With a macerating toilet you don't have direct access to the tank. No matter how good a job the macerator does, solids will settle out over time, and you will need to flush the tank out.
2) Dumping is fairly simple - open a gate valve, let the tank drain, close the valve, fill the tank with clean water, repeat a couple of times. You can get macerating attachments that go on the standard dump fitting for cases where you need to pump uphill, but they are not required. The problem I have with a built-in macerator is that it is GUARANTEED that it will fail when the tank is full of dirty water (after all, if the tank is NOT full, why would you use the macerator?), so WHEN it fails, you have a nasty job ahead of yourself.

Dumping a black tank is not a big deal - if you do it right, you won't even get your disposable gloves dirty (but you WILL wear gloves, just in case, right?) I assert it's even less messy than dumping a cassette toilet out.

I don't regret my getting a black tank one bit. I don't have to worry about dirty rest rooms, or truck stop bathrooms that are backed up out the door because some trucker cannot understand the need for fiber in his diet and is given a breech-birth to a turd baby and needs an episiotomy. I don't fear the after-effects of that truck stop burrito hitting during the height of the rainstorm. I can have a bidet.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Classbforum.com
Our Hymer Sunlight Van2 has the toilet in back. The tank is located where the spare tire was. No spare now. There are photos of it --somewhere-- on this forum. Since this was factory built I don't know if you could purchase a tank like it. Possibly the Roadtrek brand class b's still use it as some of these are/were very similar.

Spare tire water tank
Thanks for the photos; this helps in know that there is a tank, just need to locate the vendor

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hummm... Admittedly, the previous post was prefaced with IMHO... I've never heard of the slurry from a macerating toilet settling solid in a tank. It's no different than our septic tank at home that ends up with a soft sludge on bottom. And driving that nice slurry around would mix it up. Also, I've never heard of guaranteed failures of macerator toilets. I'm sure it could happen. But then a gate valve could break and stick open or closed. Or your engine could blow up! There is a real thing called poop pyramids (a very descriptive term) that people DO get that requires the pressure sprayers inside the tank.to break up. I'm sorry I will miss out on that fun.

Now I'm thinking... Maybe I'll just remove the toilet and install a bucket with plastic bags! I might lose the wife co-pilot though ??

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a pleasureway lexor and now have a custom built. Both were/are built on the 3500 ext and both had/have their bathrooms behind the drivers seat. The pleasureway's toilet was roughly 2/3 feet behind the drivers seat and faced backward. The 12 gallon tank underneath the van ran front to back. In my current van the toilet is roughly 6 feet behind the drivers seat and faces forward. The 16 gallon tank underneath the van runs side to side. To accomplish this the exhaust pipe was modified to exhaust out just behind the drivers door. Figure out where you want your bathroom to be, then figure out where the tank underneath will fit. I'm completely happy with the black tank solution. It's like going on a real toilet.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
  • All good (and funny) comments; they are very much appreciated.
  • I am definitely leaning toward the Black Tank.
  • After contacting some various Class B dealers I have been able to find that the majority tanks installed on the ProMaster are sourced from ICON.
  • one to the Afore mentioned dealers has invited me to their facility to help me identify different part number options from their dealer service portal.
  • I have also found some videos on YouTube going over one thing our another that are showing a black tank located in place of the undermount spare tire (the spare tire will be relocated to a tire mount that I that I plan installing on the rear door) as well as a forward side mounted on the LHS.
  • If the rear spare tire well is utilized, my plan is to use a macerator type toilet to get the waste from the forward end of the van to the aft end of the van.
  • After reviewing the macerator type toilets I have found this to be a good option as well; if they are maintained properly they have a good reliability rate.
  • Regarding emptying a black tank that is utilized by a macerator type toilet; this is also not any issue as the tank will empty without the need for an additional macerator pump to dump the tanks as long as a properly sloped waste tank that is properly mounted is part of the waste system.
  • I will share more on my findings as I continue down this path.
Thanks and please keep the comments coming.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Covid noobs schooling the veterans. :LOL:

·
Registered
251 Posts
We did a wet bath with an RV style flushing toilet. The shower pan is located right above the black tank. The 18.5 gal black tank is inside the van to allow for winter camping. We love it. We would not change a thing. Dumping is not an issue since I have a gray tank and need to dump that anyway. Here's a link to our blog post detailing the wet bath build. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts