Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's lots of info on different ways that forum members have approached different parts of their build. I was thinking about how new members could get a lot of planning info in one place. The threads currently on the forum plus a good search engine do a pretty good job, but I figured I'd give this a try....

In this case, a thread dedicated to just floorplans - the design and thinking behind it. My thought would be that forum members add a single post on their floorplan that would then become a thread of floorplans.

I'm going to give it a try and see if others think it's useful... if not, there's still the search engine method on the terrific forum!

ed

Keywords for search: floorplans, floorplan, layout, bed, cabinet

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Proeddie's Floorplan

Here's how I laid out my floorplan for my Hi Roof 159WB Promaster:

Design priorities:

Parallel to sidewall sleeping with lots of storage underneath and a dining area between
30" wide beds for sleeping, 24" wide for travel and daily use
A way to minimize wheelwells
A private area for portapotti / dressing use if the curtains are open (window van)
A spot for a chest type refrigerator/freezer
A kitchen cabinet with some counterspace for food prep
Lots of overhead space
A way to use the passenger seat as an additional rear facing seat

I'm hoping others will add to this thread specifically for floorplan ideas. I fooled around with some 3D software and made these to display a different view.

ed :)
My Build Thread: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52602

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Great idea Ed!

Most of our builds have been very well documented here and a search should bring them all up.
We should probably include a link to our build thread at the bottom for others to get more info. The idea may be overkill on the subject, but having lots of ideas in one place might be useful. Hopefully members will post the specifics of their Promaster (ie. WB length, Hi or Lo roof, Windows?) that affected their floorplan design.

In lieu of a drawn floorplan, some members might add a single post with some pics that illustrate their floorplan along with the why's

·
Registered
10 Posts
I enjoy creating floorplan models in Sketchup, but actual execution; not so much. Having just a modicum of cabinetry skills would have been nice! We have a 159WB high roof and enjoyed a 6 month trip with the interior roughed in. I recommend putting human models in your 3D plans to ensure proper scale. When I first put my human figures in they looked 12 feet tall!
There is just my wife and I and 3 cats. The bicycles are 20" folders with electric motors and hang from a block and tackle hoist. The beds are 74"x30" and easily convert to an athwartship 60"x72". We have a moonroof and Fantastic vent but have not installed the swivel seat or starboard galley yet. To accommodate my lack of skill the cabinetry is plywood covered with carpet and a Home Depot 3 drawer 24" base cabinet. On top of the cabinet is a Walmart 3.2 cubic foot dorm refrigerator which has worked great with 300 watts solar and 6 golf cart batteries. My big experiment will be a window air conditioner under the strb. bed with a floor cut out for intake and a 4" duct with fan for exhaust through the floor. Basically it is all mechanicals under the beds and storage on the overhead shelves. I have struggled mightily at the altar of K.I.S.S.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I designed our van using 3D CAD. Layout was refined over time.
Final Result:

Earlier CAD image:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gene,

I keep saying I want to try Sketchup. You design looks very space-use-effective. Mine was drawn with model railroad design software that allows you to do 3d views, strange but it works OK. Adding people would be tough! I like the shower tray you designed. That's a good idea and would work with my floorplan too. :D

Hein,

Nice and modular! The small folding chairs are a good idea... I carry two folding outdoor chairs but they take up more space. I built a 6" basement, so they are stored under the floor.

Ed

ps. I hope others will contribute. No need for the fancy 3d graphics pictured above, just a sketch or pics would be fine! Include your design criteria too...

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
:eek: I know you are going to laugh but having designed houses in Turbo Cad years ago I decided to just use a template and my pencil! I printed lots of scale templates, overhead, left side and right side. Then I scaled and drew the ideas. Lots of waste paper but in the end...... Eureka a camper van, it was FUN! I then tried it out in my new hollow van with CAD- Cardboard (box) Aided Design! Is there a emoticon for shame?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hi,
I'd put in a word for building an actual 3D mockup of your proposed interior layout inside your PM.

We found 3 layouts we liked a lot on paper and built all three in the back of our PM before deciding which was the best for us. They are very crude mockups using scrap lumber and cardboard, but enough to let us see what living in each layout would be like. You only get the real feel of a layout by being able to sit/stand/lay down in it. It takes a little time and effort, but well worth it.

http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/our-promaster-camper-van-conversion-interior-layout/

I spent 34 years as an design engineer at Boeing and even though we had the most sophisticated 3D cad software in the world, we found there is no substitute for a real mockup for anything that involves humans occupying a space -- there is just nothing like living in the actual space.

Gary

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cool thread. Here's my layout for my 159 WB standard length.

Requirements:

- Fridge, stove, sink
- Bed
- Heat
- Wet bath
- Off grid capability w/solar
- 4 season capability (water and batteries inside the van)
- Work desk with computer monitor and keyboard
- Be able to carry:
- 2 bikes inside or
- Sailboards or
- 6 pairs of skis and gear

and ... be able to haul 4x8 plywood, tools and lumber when not being used for recreation

What a fun puzzle to figure out. Here's the rough space planning model I did in Sketchup. I'm planning on a folding bathroom with a removable Portapotty to make enough room to allow me to haul full sheets of plywood when needed. I have the next 5 weeks off and nothing planned other than my build. Will see how far I get.

Agree with Gary, build a actual mock up inside first. I have a friend who used to work refitting boat interiors and she gave me the tip to use 1" strips of 1/4" plywood and hot melt glue to create mock ups and templates. Very quick and easy and more sturdy than cardboard.

Another space planning tip is to take a road trip with your van with nothing in it except a sleeping pad or mattress and get a feel for how your gear and other cargo works and what spaces you use the most.

- Kevin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Cool ideas, did I miss the propane tank? Underneath perhaps? Fasten those batteries! It looks like the second desk blocks the slider?? You will revise, revise but this will be a very unique van. I did mine in 8 weeks counting a bunch of time off to accommodate family. 400 watts of solar is a lot. What do you see your use as. It might be paired with 400 amp hours of battery. I have half of both, similar refrig. and have plenty of power, however soar is cheap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cool ideas, did I miss the propane tank? Underneath perhaps? Fasten those batteries! It looks like the second desk blocks the slider?? You will revise, revise but this will be a very unique van. I did mine in 8 weeks counting a bunch of time off to accommodate family. 400 watts of solar is a lot. What do you see your use as. It might be paired with 400 amp hours of battery. I have half of both, similar refrig. and have plenty of power, however soar is cheap.
I had a local fabricator weld together a battery hold down out of steel tubing. Going to thru bolt it through the floor. They're not going anywhere.

Desk is a flip up to allow use of the second slider. Second slider will just have a ~15" squeeze through space when open so main door will be the passenger side.

Propane is underneath in the standard location behind the muffler. Had the welder extend the propane mounting brackets and make some a big washers for the top side of the floor. Didn't want to trust 2 bolts through sheet metal for the mount. Bolted in with 6, 3/8" carriage bolts now.

Solar is cheap and 400 watts still won't be enough for indefinite use in the winter due to the low sun angle. Flip up panels would help but pretty complex to mount. Calculated it out using PV Watts solar calculator and amp loads and can go about 3 to 4 days to 50% discharge in the winter before I have to drive or find a plug in. Although snow and clouds will probably make that much less anyway.

Anyway, should probably start a build thread ... :)

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Great insight and sounds like you have really thought it out. Please do start a thread and you might begin getting your pictures onto a hosting site as this one won’t hold enough to document all you do with those thumbnails. I use tinypic.com but there are many. I missed that you had 2 sliders, one could have permanent screening for a nice breeze! I did flip up solar on my last truck camper and only actually lifted it once in 8 years so I said never again, too much design and fabrication time for the use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
3D model with interior?

Does anyone know if a fairly accurate 3D model of 159 HT interior is available? From FCA or anywhere? I've seen models online, but not with reasonably accurate interiors. I'd like to start planning some modular casework.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Does anyone know if a fairly accurate 3D model of 159 HT interior is available? From FCA or anywhere? I've seen models online, but not with reasonably accurate interiors. I'd like to start planning some modular casework.

The SketchUp Warehouse lists some ProMaster models -- no idea how complete they are.
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/?hl=en

Search for "ProMaster"

Gary

1 - 20 of 111 Posts