Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. We just bought a new promaster to convert and are super excited to get started.

I have a question about flooring. I am going to use 3/4" plywood subfloor screwed to the floor in a few spots and 3/4" solid oak. My question is if I can get away with this as is or if I need some sort of insulation?

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Super Moderator
10,679 Posts
You can but why put screw holes in your floor? A lot better way is to put the ¾" plywood down with a silicone or rubber type adhesive as Ram does, ½" is more than enough, especially with oak over it.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
You are doing 3/4" plywood with 3/4" solid oak over the top of that? The factory Ram floor is 1/2". I disagree about glueing or using silicone or other sealant as my factory floor is coming up in several places. I'll take a step and hear the adhesive stick then pull apart. Annoying. From what I have seen on numerous builds on Sprinter Source the most common floor method is dense 1/4" closed cell foam cut to fill the voids with 1/4" layer on top. Then since you don't have factory floor I would do 1/2" plywood. Use the factory holes to keep the floor in place.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
10,679 Posts
I have no squeaks on my factory floor but there are many ways to do it without screwing it down, for sure. Another good way is to use the hold down holes already in the floor to hold the plywood down. It doesn't take much (if anything) as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Trade secret: Lipstick is a good way to layout hard to match holes. It transfers to wood well and cleans off metal easy.

Bonus tip: Buy a cheap stick. Don't use the wife's or a girl's that you either enjoy the company of. They will not appreciate it and you will not enjoy their company for awhile. Don't ask how I know. You also probably don't want to use your own unless you don't like that one.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
I'd strongly consider adding insulation to the floor stackup -- 1 inch polyiso or 1 inch XPS is good.

3/4 inch plywood PLUS 3/4 inch oak seems like a lot of thickness (headroom) and weight -- most people use half inch plywood with something like Vinyl -- I used 1/4 inch plywood plus Vinyl and its been fine.
This is mine: Our ProMaster Camper Van Conversion – Flooring – Build A Green RV

This is a test on what floor insulation is worth on heat loss: Is it Worth Insulating the Floor of Your Camper Van? – Build A Green RV

It works out that not insulating the floor on an otherwise insulated van increases heat loss by 40%.

Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts