Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a plan to use 1/2" foam board then 1/2" OSB, topped with laminate. Got the foam done, OSB about 80%. Now having second thoughts about the laminate. It sounds like a little water standing on the floor will cause bubbling. Anybody have good or bad experience with laminate? I know someday there will be a camelback sitting on the bite valve leaking water over night.
The Trafficmaster Allure vinyl planks are interesting, I'd have to get information & comfortable with the VOC's on that. Also I read they're only good for a temp range of 55F-85F.
The TPO they use in prebuilt toyhaulers & available at RBcomponents is nice, but really expensive, probably over $700 with shipping.
Sheet vinyl? Linoleum? Just paint the OSB? Rubber is out, too smelly.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
I had a plan to use 1/2" foam board then 1/2" OSB, topped with laminate. Got the foam done, OSB about 80%. Now having second thoughts about the laminate. It sounds like a little water standing on the floor will cause bubbling. Anybody have good or bad experience with laminate? I know someday there will be a camelback sitting on the bite valve leaking water over night.
The Trafficmaster Allure vinyl planks are interesting, I'd have to get information & comfortable with the VOC's on that. Also I read they're only good for a temp range of 55F-85F.
The TPO they use in prebuilt toyhaulers & available at RBcomponents is nice, but really expensive, probably over $700 with shipping.
Sheet vinyl? Linoleum? Just paint the OSB? Rubber is out, too smelly.
Just go with vinyl, it's cheap and wears pretty good and water is not a consern. You don't need much (6 or 7sq yds) so buy the heavy stiff. Don't bother to cement it down other than at the edges. Don't use Pergola or anything like it as it will swell up with any moisture.

Never, ever use any OSB type flakeboard board in a vehicle, especially the floor - it swells with age and has no strength!

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Hi,
I used sheet Vinyl on mine and its been fine, but in may not get as hard a use as a toy hauler.

The flooring dealer recommended a floating (not glued down) floor as they have had failures of Vinyl in RV's sitting over the winter outside from the cold temperatures.

I'm not a fan of OSB from the point of view of weight, durability or VOCs -- but, my house has it :)

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Regarding:
Never, ever use any OSB type flakeboard board in a vehicle, especially the floor - it swells with age and has no strength!

I agree. I hate to rain (pun here) on your plan but I recommend using the OSB as a pattern for a floor made of marine grade plywood or at least a good veneer grade sheet with no voids. OSB and water/moisture has a terrible reputation. I built for 40+ years and bought and used OSB once. My motto is "If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time" That one time was enough for me. If you upgrade to plywood you can just paint it saving the price of the discarded OSB and having a great floor. :| Sorry to have to say this.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would probably skip trying to use the OSB, it just doesn't last as well as plywood. Seal the plywood with an epoxy paint product if you decide not to cover it with vinyl or something else.

You might want to take a look at Anderson "Waterhog" mats. They're the mats you walk on going into some many office buildings and the like. Nice no slip texture, they hold water and dirt so nothing leaks through, easy to remove and clean, they even make some "eco" ones with a good portion of recycled materials... Even if you do put another surface down they'd be good for tossing in under your "toys" and controlling all the crud that comes in will them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you use something like Advantec flooring you will have no trouble with swelling or warping. Regular $8.00 dollar a sheet OSB will give you problems though. One problem though is OSB or Advantec are not a good substrate to glue sheet flooring to. I used 5/8" Advantec with 1/4" birch plywood stapled & glued on top and then laid Loncoin flooring over that. Overall thickness is 1 1/8", and I didn't attach it for close to a year & had no warping. I bought finish ply wood twice, and by the time I unloaded it from the lumber yard it was already starting to twist.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used a very thin carpet padding first and than put Marmoleum over the pad-
neither is glued down permanently, so if I need to swap them out in the future it won't be a problem- it works perfect for me sliding big rolls of carpet in and out-

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,828 Posts
Tig, I've been wondering whether I could get away with leaving Marmoleum loose for a few months. It will be a while before temperatures are warm enough that i could apply the adhesive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tig, I've been wondering whether I could get away with leaving Marmoleum loose for a few months. It will be a while before temperatures are warm enough that i could apply the adhesive.
I don't think it would hurt it at all- granted I'm using it in a purely work related scenario and my flooring will get banged up- that's why I've left it loose and unglued- we bought a ton of Marmoleum for cheap at a flooring auction, so it's not gonna hurt my pocket book-

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I've read OSB is fine unless it sits out in the rain (most residential construction), or gets wet. Since I don't want my floor to be wet anyway, I don't see that as such a big negative. I think I can keep it dry with care & a vapor barrier over it.
Leaning toward sheet vinyl or planks, but I've read a bunch of reports of vinyl splitting down the middle in RV's when it was glued at the edges.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
If I went the custom van conversion route, I'd probably go with Lonseal Loncoin flooring. The main reason is that it is easy to clean, can take a lot of punishment, and lasts a long while.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
From what I've read OSB is fine unless it sits out in the rain (most residential construction), or gets wet. Since I don't want my floor to be wet anyway, I don't see that as such a big negative. I think I can keep it dry with care & a vapor barrier over it.
Leaning toward sheet vinyl or planks, but I've read a bunch of reports of vinyl splitting down the middle in RV's when it was glued at the edges.
OSB is garbage and should never be used for this purpose. It draws the moisture right out of the air and expands over time. Why take a chance using it? It's heavy and weak at the same time. The only OSB you should ever use for a sub floor is Avantech, or a similar product, that is specifically engineered for sub flooring. Plywood is about the cheapest thing you will ever put into your Promaster so why even think about OSB?

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
¾" Poplar is great but as you discovered almost the same price as Oak or Maple these days. Sometimes you can find Birch at a good price (HD and Lowes both suck for plywood in both price and quality try a real lumber yard) but ½" or ⅝" fir underlayment is just as good if not better. The Promaster factory floor is only a ⅜" or ½" (I forget) thick resin product for example.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts