Ram Promaster Forum banner

Floor Vent

11K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Roblee 
#1 ·
I haven't seen too many people do it, but seems logical. If we're cutting a hole and pumping air out the roof, where is the air coming from? If we cut a hole in the floor (or wherever) then we can control it and maybe get a slight breeze. Anyone here do this?

I also just read that the black boxes behind wheel wells are a vent, so potentially could re-use those. Anyone have experience?

#2 · (Edited)
DL,

I searched and couldn't find it but, someone on the forum cut a standard 4" x 10" floor register into their floor in the center of the area just inside the slider. Looked like a great idea for getting cool air in, with a vent fan on the roof....may be on my list, but it took a few years just to get the Maxxair installed.

The small vents behind the rear wheels appear to be too small for taking in the amount of air a roof van wants to pull in, plus they are designed to be one way - when you slam the door, they let air inside the van out.

I did buy a set of (too expensive) metal vents that are screened and clamp into the front door window frames, from Eurocampers. They work well and provide a flow thru effect, but are not usable for daily driving, just camping use. For that, they work well. Before that I cut a 1/4" plywood frame to do the same thing and cut a hole in it for a screen. Worked well, but not secure. If I am leaving the van in a parking lot all day, the metal ones seem solid enough to keep the van secure, depending on how bad someone wants to break in!

#7 ·
Hi all,

I just cut a 3" hole in my floor for a vent and am using this RV sewer valve to open and close it http://www.valterra.com/product/bladex-waste-valve-body-3-bulk/?pcat_id=1443

I have 3 fur kids so wanted to keep fresh air flowing from floor to ceiling. I installed a Flattener vent in the roof at the back of the van.

I will install a sturdy screen to keep critters out and in addition install a screen to keep bugs out.

Cheers,

Dave

#8 ·
I just ripped out the rubber flapper valves on the little black boxes behind the rerouted wheels.. Took some fine mesh screen, wrapped a heavy duty rubber band around the box to hold it on, and applied glue where the screen lays against the little black box. I estimate the box opening to be 3.5 x 3.5 inches, times two boxes, that equals 24.5 square inches of opening, and no holes cut into the floor.

#9 ·
ProEddie, you said '....Eurocampers. They work well and provide a flow thru effect, but are not usable for daily driving'.
We too have those metal screens for the windows.
We bought some sheet magnet, the really thick ones from Amazon and cut to fit the metal screens. Using strong niomydium (sp?) magnets (the metal
screens aren't totally magnetic) when we pull out we can put the fitted sheet magnets on the metal screens held in place with the magnets. It's not perfect
but for wind noise it works for us.

Billdee I think your idea is a great one for ground level ventilation.
The metal screens for the windows mentioned above, with a Maxxair do a great job of ventilation but moving air across a more narrow band that would be possible if it could be mixed with air from below. Will look into your method.

#12 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Screens affect free airflow more than one thinks, the smaller the mesh the more resistance there is to airflow. The screen, blades, motor and motor brackets all interfere with airflow.

So you don't need a 113 sq in floor opening.

But I could be wrong.

#19 ·
I bought two of these. One to put on the floor, edge of the bed and one above the bed. The maxxfan is at the other end. Idea being if we want cool air from the ground, we can open the floor and exhaust the maxx. If we want air flowing over us at night we can open the bed one and put the maxx on intake. https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Redline/9106-2756.html

My only concern (other than having to cut two more holes in the body) is the water/rain situation. Reviews seem to be very good on that vent though. I plan to install it with butyl tape and lap sealant just like the maxx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.